Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Abductors of Vanguard newspaper man’s wife demand N10m


Suspected kidnappers of Marian,   wife of The Vanguard correspondent in Rivers State, Mr. Jimitota Onoyume, have demanded N10m ransom.
Marian  was kidnapped at about 12.10pm while driving out of her residence in Eku, Ethiope Local Government, Delta State on Monday.
Her  abductors, who were  said to be heavily armed,  took away  their victim in her vehicle.
Onoyume   told our correspondent that the kidnappers called him around 7pm on Monday and demanded  N10m from him as ransom.
The journalist, who said his wife’s car had been recovered, added that he  had  to send an undisclosed amount of MTN airtime to the hoodlums on their demand.
He said, “They called me on  my daughter’s phone  about 7pm yesterday (Monday), demanding  N10m. I pleaded with them that I had never held N1m before.
“They said  having an Sports Utility Vehicle, I am a rich man. I begged them that the SUV was bought as fairly used and it is a 95 model of Pathfinder.
“I begged them to release my wife and that I am a reporter and journalists are not known to be rich. And that we might  be seen on the television, but we are only doing our job.”
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Charles Muka, confirmed the recovery  of  the vehicle.
He said the police had  begun investigation into the matter with a view to rescuing the kidnapped woman.
“I have the belief that she would be released without harm. What we want is for members of the public to cooperate with us to achieve a hitch-free investigation,” Muka said.

The Punch

No comments: