Friday, November 30, 2012

Doctor on emergency hired me – Shot okada rider



Adigun Atilola, the 27-year-old commercial motorcycle rider, who was shot by a policeman on November 6 in Ilupeju, Lagos State, for allegedly breaking the state traffic law, said on Monday that his passenger was a medical doctor who was on an emergency when the incident happened.
Atilola has been moved from the Surgical Emergency of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, where he was operated upon on the day of the incident to the Surgical Ward B of the same hospital.
Atilola, who is still on admission, said the doctor, who hired him, appealed to him to take him to the home of a patient in Ilupeju for an emergency.
He said, “On that fateful day, I was in Mushin area when this doctor who was putting on a ward coat and holding a stethoscope approached me and asked me to take him to Ilupeju.
“I understand the provision of the state traffic law well. So, I refused but he kept on begging me to help save the life of the sick person he was going to attend to.”
He said the doctor promised to explain the situation to any law enforcement officer who stops him on the road.
He said, “On getting to Teju Junction on Ilupeju bypass, the traffic light stopped me and as soon as soon as I switched on the motorcycle igntion, a policeman who came from where he was hiding held my motorcycle at the back.
“I immediately turned off the ignition but unfortunately another one who also emerged from hiding came close to me and before I knew it I was shot at a close range.” 
Atilola, who was moved to the Surgical Ward B 12 days ago, said though he was getting good medical attention at the hospital, he still could not move his legs.
He added that despite having carried out a series of X-rays on various parts of his body, he was scheduled to have another round of X-ray examination on his legs on Monday.
Our correspondent who visited him at the hospital observed that he was still receiving drip while gloves were worn on his two legs.
He said, “My legs have since been affected as they are both immovable and they appear to be lifeless.  I don’t have a feeling that I have legs anymore.
“I have not passed out excreta since November 6.  I only fart.  They passed pipe to my male organ and that is how I pass urine out of my system.
“Since I have been in this world, I never experienced this kind of thing before. But I thank God I’m alive today.”
 He said his 24-year-old younger brother, Sikiru, also an okada rider, who was arrested at the scene of the incident, had since been released by the police and had relocated to Iseyin in Oyo State.
“Though I am receiving free treatment here, the police who caused me this problem have abandoned me. They are not even forthcoming. I strongly wish that the trigger- happy policeman is brought to book,” he said.
None of the doctors approached by our correspondent was willing to speak on the okada rider’s condition.
Punch

No comments: