Saturday, November 24, 2012

Joseph Benjamin's marriage crashes


EARLY this week, the seldom controversial handsome beau of Nollywood, Joseph Benjamin, 32, leaped to the front pages with a scorching personal news. The budding acting star and co-anchor of MTN's Project Fame, confirmed that his decade-old marriage has crashed.

Disclosing his hitherto wrapped separation from his wife, he said in an online radio interview (Reel Radio) that the situation had gone so dire that he had to let the cat out of the bag.

He said: “I am no longer in my marriage; we are separated.”

Dwelling further, he brooded: “About my marriage, it has been going through crises which I prefer not to talk about. That is why I have kept it away from the public to wave off controversies. I am no longer in my marriage; we are separated.”

And the news instantly, went viral,  spurring a rash of comments.
According to the star of Mahmood Ali-Balogun's celluloid film, 'Tango With Me,' the marriage, which was shaky from the outset, has produced two children.

“I have two wonderful children – a 10-year old daughter and a seven-year old son. They are an integral part of my life. Their mum and I have a very good arrangement on how to balance their lives to make sure that, psychologically, they are stable and unaffected by our separation,” he explained.

Following the wave of interests the news generated, the dark, tall and handsome actor had to further elaborate on the cause of the separation in the online entertainment magazine, Bella Naija.

The broken relationship, according to him, is marked by several circumstances between him and his wife. And the thaw had developed over a year ago but it has been kept away from public glare.

Benjamin gave the background of his marriage thus: “I was married for eight years. It was a rather odd situation at that time. She got pregnant and I didn’t want to have a child out of wedlock. So I married her so (that) we could build a home together, even though we had given birth to the first child. Things weren’t rosy then, but I believed it was the right thing to do for the sake of the child.

I overlooked my own personal desires. I just wanted to do right. Our second child came and I stood by my family like I always have. But no one is perfect, we had our issues – the crisis persisted but we stayed because of the kids. But you never make that kind of decision because if the parents are not happy together... the children suffer.”

The smooth and youthful act said, however that, he is still passionate and well committed to his children and would continue to love and care for them. “I’ve been separated for a year now but we still keep a good relationship, and our separation was a mutual agreement. She is a good woman, but I could not go on with the union anymore seeing the foundation it was built on was untrue.”

Benjamin turned 32 this month.
The Compass

No comments: