Saturday, January 5, 2013

Suspected Lagos thug in police net

Jamiu Adetutu, aka Jarmani, has been arrested by men of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad in Lagos for allegedly assaulting an Ikorodu, Lagos resident named Nurain Lani.
Before his arrest, Jarmani was allegedly notorious for molesting residents of Ilemere, Orupodi, Ibeshe and other parts of Ikorodu in company with a gang of hoodlums. His latest victim, Lani, who is a trader, was said to have dared to confront him over allegations that he had turned a thorn in the flesh of residents.
Lani said he only asked Jarmani to stop molesting the residents of Ilemere, Orupodi and Ibeche communities. And for his ‘effrontery’ he got the beating of his life from the thug and his gang of hoodlums.
“He attacked me at 10 am on November 16, 2012. I was on my way to the place where I am building my house. He told his boys that I was a threat to him and ordered them to attack me. He said I had the guts to challenge him for extorting money from landlords in the area.
“I was beaten up and my money, about N17,000, was stolen along with my cell phone and wristwatch. Also he hit me on the head with the butt of his gun. After he had beaten me, I went to report the incident to Ipakodo Police Station.
“ I wrote a statement and they gave me a form and told me to go to a general hospital. I lost consciousness due to the beating. When I woke up, I learnt that some of the landlords rushed me to the hospital,” Lani said.
The trader said Jarmani was a non-native of Ikorodu who had allegedly managed to encroach on some people’s land in the area, adding that the suspect often boasted of being above the law because he had friends in the police.
He said that residents of the communities had cause to believe Jarmani’s claims of immunity because each time he was arrested, he would be seen walking freely in the area a few minutes later.
 Lani continued, “Most of the landlords have been complaining about Jarmani, but they could not report his activities to the appropriate authorities for fear of losing their lives. He goes around bragging that he has friends in the police and there is nothing that anyone can do to him.”
However, the long arm of the law finally caught up with Jarmani. After he was arrested, he was taken to the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad on Adeniji Adele Street, Lagos and it was discovered that he had different charges pending.
A police source told CRIME DIGEST that Jarmani would have a hard time wriggling out of the present charges due to the pending cases
The Police Public Relations Officer of the FSARS, DSP Lekan Ogundare, confirmed the arrest of the alleged thug.
He said that Jarmani was arrested at Ibeshe area of Ikorodu for criminal conduct. The PPRO corroborated the top police source claims stating that indeed, Jarmani was wanted at the FSARS for various offences.
The PPRO added that it was not impossible that Jarmani has a friend in the Police Force but it would not hamper their investigation.
“Men of the Rapid Response Squad caught and brought Jarmani here. We were not told that he was arrested with anybody, but we  found a firearm on him. He denied knowledge of the firearm, but that is subject to investigation. He is well known to residents of Ikorodu and some of them have come to complain about.
“It is not impossible for him to have friends in the police, but that will not disturb our investigation. If you are my friend and you go against the law you won’t be my friend again because I would treat your case according to the law. He was arrested for criminal conduct and when he was brought here, we found out that he has other charges pending.
“We shall carry out our investigation and unify all the charges against him. Upon the conclusion of our investigation, he will be charged to court. He still has a different case of assault to face at Ibeshe where he injured someone. That matter is being handled by the Lagos State Police Command,” Ogundare said.

No comments: