Tuesday, March 26, 2013

39-year-old cancer patient laments cost of treatment


Dorcas Olusola

A 39-year-old cancer patient, Dorcas Olusola, has lamented the increasing cost of treating her ailment.
She said the more she ran around to raise money for the treatment of the cancer that had affected her breast, the higher the medical bills.
 The widow, who lived at Dunmoye Street, Benjamin, Eleyele Ibadan, Oyo State said she was diagnosed with cancer one year ago but lived with it due to her inability to raise money for the surgery.
She said, “I was diagnosed as having breast cancer a year ago. The cost of surgery is beyond my reach so I ran round for help but I could not raise the money. The estimate has continued to increase and I have no choice but to continue living in pain as a result of my inability to meet up with the charges.
“At the University College Hospital, Ibadan, I was given a bill of N854,960. It was indicated in the bill that the cost is subject to change with time and course of treatment.”
According to her, the bill comprises cost of operation, anaesthesia, drugs and dressing, blood, laboratory investigation, radiotherapy and X-ray among other things.
Olusola, who is a petty trader and mother of two (an eight-year-old girl and a five-year-old boy) said her late husband was the breadwinner of the family.
She said, “After he died in October 2008, life has been very difficult for me and my two kids. Last year, I was warned that death was knocking at my door if urgent steps were not taken to operate the cancer. The sum needed then was N854,960.”
“Now, my condition has degenerated and the cost estimated is now about N1.5m in view of the present condition of my breast.”
She appealed to government and well-meaning Nigerians to help her to overcome her ailment.
PUNCH

No comments: