Monday, March 4, 2013

Midday inferno destroys 10 houses in Warri

NO fewer than 10 houses were razed by fire over the weekend at Iyara in Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State.
Rendering tens of persons homeless in its wake, the fire, which immediate cause could not be ascertained, utterly razed the buildings beyond recognition.
The Warri Fire Service called in to extinguish the inferno could hardly do so due to inaccessible road that leads to the slum.
Though no life was lost, owners of the destroyed properties threw caution to the wind, wailing and brooding over the  calamity that had befallen them.
Youths and sympathizers were seen with buckets of water mixed with soap making frantic efforts to put out the inferno.
One of the youth leaders, David Etete, while speaking with journalists said: “I was in the next street when I heard shouts that there was fire in my area. I rushed here and we made efforts to contain the fire, but there was little we could do.
 “I don’t really know what happened but I think it was from electric spark. I was told that there was power surge when it started.”
However, an unconfirmed report said that the fire was caused by an explosion from a television set from the room of one of the residents.
Officials of the fire service were not available for comment as of press time.
TRIBUNE

No comments: