Thursday, March 28, 2013

Senegalese woman traffics drugs for lover


Kamara Oumou

A 33-year-old woman, Kamara Oumou, who was arrested by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, has said she got involved in drug trafficking because of love.
Oumou, a Senegalese, was arrested at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos while attempting to board an Arik flight to Dakar after a one-week visit to her Nigerian lover, Hakeem.
Oumou had used industrial tape to strap three parcels of cocaine weighing 515 grammes to her waist, while six wraps of heroin weighing 165 grammes were inserted into her private parts.
NDLEA airport commander, Mr. Hamza Umar, said, “Oumou had in her possession a Senegalese international passport with number, 400680371.
“She was found to be in possession of 680 grammes of narcotic that tested positive for heroin and cocaine. It was carefully concealed but not intelligent enough to escape our detection.”
Oumou, however, said she was not paid money to smuggle the drugs.
She said, “How can I ask my boyfriend to pay me? I smuggled the drugs because of the love I have for Hakeem.”
Hakeem and Oumou allegedly met in Dakar where Hakeem had lived for 11 years. The couple were said to have dated for six months before Hakeem returned to Nigeria in December 2012.
It was learnt that Hakeem invited Oumou to Lagos and checked into a hotel where they spent a week together.
 Oumou said her lover brought the drug to her hotel.
She said, “The day Hakeem brought the package to my hotel room was my first time of seeing drugs. He said they were products which he couldn’t entrust to his business partners because they were unfaithful. He said he was giving them to me instead to bring into Dakar because he trusted me.
“He packed the drugs and also took care of my travel arrangements. I have no idea where his home is. We were supposed to travel together to Dakar but he suddenly changed the arrangement and travelled to Dakar a day before my trip.”
NDLEA Chairman, Mr. Ahmadu Giade, said, “No reason is strong enough to engage in drug trafficking. Drug barons may claim to be in love with unsuspecting couriers. They may even present themselves as philanthropists. Members of the public are advised to shun such pretences.”
PUNCH

No comments: