Sunday, May 19, 2013

‘I am yet to see my husband’s corpse’


Helen Amanabo

I have five children.  Two are in secondary school and three in primary school. The day my husband went for the operation was the day he resumed from his annual leave. When my husband was about going for the operation, he called me and told me they were going for a special operation but he said they were not given the details of the mission or the exact place they were going. That was the last time I spoke to him and till date, I still call his phone but it is switched off. I was expecting him to come back the next day, but when I didn’t see him, I went to his office to look for him, but a policeman asked me to go home, saying my husband went to Abuja for a programme.  In the evening, I was at my business place in the market when I heard that corpses of policemen were being brought from Alakyio where they were killed, when they went to arrest Baba Alakyio. That was how I got to know that my husband was among the victims. I went to the hospital and checked, but I didn’t see my husband’s body. Till today, I have not seen his body.”
Helen, wife to Sergeant Joseph Amanabo
PUNCH

No comments: