Saturday, May 11, 2013

Woman who woke from coma to discover she was four months pregnant gives birth to a boy

A woman who woke from a coma to learn she was four months pregnant has told of her joy after giving birth to a 'perfect' baby boy.
Doctors discovered car crash victim Gemma Holmes, 26, was four weeks pregnant when she was rushed to hospital after colliding with a parked car while driving a scooter last September.
Ms Holmes - who has been confined to a wheelchair since the accident because her pregnancy prevented her from undergoing vital surgery - was given the shock news when she awoke from a coma around three months later.
'My little miracle': Car crash victim Gemma Holmes was confined to a wheelchair after doctors discovered she was pregnant - preventing them from operating on her injuries
'My little miracle': Car crash victim Gemma Holmes was confined to a wheelchair after doctors discovered she was pregnant - preventing them from operating on her injuries
Five months on, Ms Holmes, from Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire, has given birth to baby son Ruben.
'I couldn’t stop crying when they first showed him to me, because he is my little miracle baby,' she said.

'I was just so happy to see him after everything we’ve been through.'
Not only did Ms Holmes have no idea she was expecting when she awoke from the coma, the amnesia she suffered as a result of the crash meant the three years leading up to it were wiped from her memory - including any recollection of baby Ruben's father Luke Dicks.
To add to her ordeal, the new mother has been in a wheelchair since the accident because doctors refrained from performing vital surgery to her back upon learning she was pregnant.
But now Ruben has arrived doctors have told the 26-year-old she will learn to walk again, with her operation set to take place in six months time.
Baby steps: The brave 26-year-old, seen cuddling baby Ruben, will be able to learn to walk again following her surgery in six months time
Baby steps: The brave 26-year-old, seen cuddling baby Ruben, will be able to learn to walk again following her surgery in six months time
'The doctors have said they will operate on my back after Ruben is six months old, because I’m breast feeding and they want to give me time to bond,' Ms Holmes said.

'The doctors will have to break my back again and put metal plates in.  I will then have up to two more years in the wheelchair before they think I may be able to walk and run with my baby.'
Ms Holmes suffered severe head and neck injuries in the horror smash in September last year and was airlifted to hospital in a coma.
She initially woke in October before being placed back into an induced coma until December.

Ruben was born on Thursday at the Royal United Hospital in Bath and is being looked after by his mother and his grandmother, Julie Brown.

Ms Holmes, who split from Mr Dicks, 31, two weeks before her accident, said: 'The nurses at the hospital were all absolutely brilliant, which helped put me at ease.

'My mum has been amazing and helps me out a lot, but I can feed him and I also changed his nappy for the first time the other day.'
Horror smash: Gemma, seen with her mother Julie Brown and baby Ruben, awoke from a coma to learn she was four months pregnant
Horror smash: Gemma, seen with her mother Julie Brown and baby Ruben, awoke from a coma to learn she was four months pregnant
Her mother added: 'Gemma is so happy and so excited about the baby. It’s amazing he is here after everything that has happened.
'We had some scares during the pregnancy but he is beautiful.'
While Ms Holmes says she won't be getting back together with Ruben's father, Mr Dicks has been visiting both mother and baby.
'When I woke up and I was told I was pregnant I remember thinking, “What? how did that happen?” she said

'I have been told recently that I said some time before the crash I didn’t want kids before I was 30.

'I was just in shock. Ruben’s dad was not around while I was in hospital but now he has said he wants to see him everyday,' she said.
'It is just great for my son. There is no chance we will get back together but I am glad he will be part of Ruben’s life.

'Ruben is just gorgeous, he is perfect. He is so good we have to wake him up for feeds.'

Ms Holmes' mother Julie, a grandmother-of-six said: 'I was told Gemma was pregnant a week after the accident. It is all a blur that time.

'I didn’t tell anyone for a month because they didn’t think she would make it through.

'It was such a shock for her when the hospital staff told her she was pregnant – she had lost three years of memory. It has just been very emotional.'
DAILYMAIL

No comments: