Wednesday, June 19, 2013

‘I traffic drug because I was duped’


Nweke Nwobodo

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, has arrested a suspected drug trafficker, Nweke Nwobodo, for allegedly ingesting 126 wraps of heroin.
According to a statement by the agency, the drug, which weighed 2.225kg, is the highest single ingestion since January 2013.
NDLEA Commander at the Lagos Airport, Mr. Hamza Umar, said narcotic officials placed the suspect on observation when he tested positive to drug ingestion during the inward screening of Qatar Airline passengers on his way from Pakistan.
The Ebonyi State indigene however said he joined the illegitimate business because he was duped of his money and needed to recover it.
The 33-year-old father of two said, “I sell electronics in Lagos but I lost $11,200 (N1.78m) to fraudsters. This affected my business and in the process of trying to get money to revamp my business I was introduced into drugs.
“If I had succeeded, I would have been paid N1.8m. I spent only one week in Pakistan. My only regret is my pregnant wife who is due to give birth soon.”
The NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, expressed concern on the risk of drug ingestion.
 “The ingestion of drugs by traffickers is very disturbing because many have died in the process. Just a wrap is deadly and here we have one person ingesting 126 wraps of what could take his life in a few minutes. Members of the public should shun drug trafficking and report any suspected trafficker to the agency,” he said.
The NDLEA boss said the agency would continue to frustrate any move to raise capital from drug trafficking.
PUNCH

No comments: