Friday, June 7, 2013

Mother Sues Son-In-Law Over N145, 000 Debt

A mother-in-law, Esther John of Durumi 2, on Thursday sued her son-in-law, Sunday Jegede of Gaduwa, before a Grade 1 Area Court sitting in Wuse, Abuja, for alleged debt.
Mrs. John said Jegede owed her N145, 000 which she lent him in install lments and as weekly contributions.
``I want the court to compel this man to pay me because the money is my sweat.
``I am not going to collect my money in bits. He should pay me back the way he collected the monies from me and from the contribution I made on his behalf,’’ she said.
On his part, Jegede said he was surprised that the matter could get to court as the woman was his mother-in-law.
``This woman here is my mother-in-law. I am surprised that this matter could get to court because my wife has begged her several times.
``Since I bought a small car to use for business to help my family, she has been disturbing me for this money and my wife has paid N70, 000 out of the debt.
``I owe her N75, 000 only which she wants me to pay in bulk and I don’t have the means to pay her because I have a family to cater for.
``I can only pay her N5, 000 monthly because things are not moving well for me,’’ he said.
The judge, Quaseem Muhammad, ordered Jegede to pay his mother-in-law in four installments.
``As you have heard, she has refused to collect her money in bits and she has forgiven you of almost half the amount. So, you have to pay her in four installments monthly, starting from this month,’’ he said.
Muhammad adjourned the matter to June 24 to hear from the in-laws.
LEADERSHIP

No comments: