Wednesday, March 6, 2019

We’re tired of police extortion, cyclists fume

Segun Ogunbo
Angry commercial cyclists plying the Ajuwo area of Ogun State have called on the state commissioner of police to save them from police extortion.

The cyclists said that the policemen allegedly had the penchant for seizing their motorcycles if they didn’t pay N100. These activity, which many of the cyclists termed as illegal, has left them fuming, with many saying they didn’t how much more they would tolerant from these policemen. They alleged that the police are from Ajuwo Police Station.
One of the cyclists said: “The policemen have been collecting money from cyclists in this area. This has made plying these Ajuwon routes quite challenging.”
Another cyclist, who wishes to remain anonymous, explaining that most of the policemen know them by full names, explained: “These policemen usually flag us down for no reasons or offence, but just to extort money from us. They collect N100 from each of us every day. They start their extortions at about 9pm every day; and if we refuse to play ball, they would seize our motorcycles and most times arrest us.”
He added: “The policemen had warned us to stop working any time after 10:15pm. Once it strikes 11pm, the policemen would start arresting cyclists they see still operating. They will demand for money, if you don’t give them, they’ll arrest you.”
Another cyclist, who preferred to be addressed as Daddy Favour, said: “I don’t usually work at night, but I work during the day because of the policemen. I started this work just two months ago. I don’t want any trouble. Look at me; I usually work throughout the day to make money to feed my family. We usually pay the union and then we pay the police. If we don’t pay the police, they arrest us. I simply choose not to work at night. I work from 7am to 6pm. Any money I’m able to make between those hours, I used it to take care of my family.”
Abdullahi, another cyclist said: “I usually start work by 6:30am or 7am. I close by 7pm or 8pm because of those policemen. Even the Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), knows that these policemen extort us. But the Union is less concern because it collects money from us. Every day, I pay N700 for ticket to the Union. Most days, I make between N2000 and N3000. I then pay for the ticket from the money. After paying, they will use marker to mark my motorcycle, signifying that I have paid.”
Complaining with obvious anger, Mr. Ramon said: “I have been working here for the past two years. Truly these policemen collect money from us. We’re not happy with it, but as for me, there is nothing we can do. I work till night and I usually pay the money to them. We have no choice! I’m a married man; I have kids at home. My children will eat and I have to pay their school fees. I can’t say because of the N100 I wouldn’t continue with my cycling work. Yes, it’s not right for them to be extorting us, but I also need to work to take care of my wife and children.”
Ramon added: “There are many married men involved in this work. We have something in common; we want to work, raise money to care for our families. One I know for sure is this; if the policemen collect N100 from 20 cyclists, they take N2000 home every day. Mind you, we’re more than 20 cyclists operating in Ajuwo. This is what they do every day. They don’t care about the stress and danger cyclists go through. Look at us now, in the scorching sun, just because we want to make money and take care of our children.”
A resident, Daddy Joshua said: “The policemen have become a thorn in the flesh of these cyclists. I work at Mowe and usually return late at night. Whenever I get to that Ajuwon bus stop, I wouldn’t find any cyclist. Even why I see, they tell me they are not going. And if they agree to carry me, they will tell me to add money to the normal fare because they would have to ‘settle’ policemen on the road. These policemen are really causing problem to everyone. There is corruption everywhere. I’m sure the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Ajuwon Police Station knows that his men are extorting these struggling cyclists. He will keep mum, because he would collect money from his men. The Ogun State government should look into this matter with the utmost urgency.”
Reacting to the allegations raised by the cyclists, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), a Deputy Superintendent of Police, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said: “It’s not true! Our policemen cannot extort the cyclists. We have been sensitizing the public from time to time through radio programmes, educating them not to give money to policemen anymore. Any cyclist that has issue with the police should lodge a complaint to the police authority for proper action to be taken. The state Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Illyasu, has zero tolerance for extortion."
He added: "Four policemen were dismissed last year for extortion. An operative attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was dismissed for similar offence. We don't tolerate that in Ogun State Police Command.”

No comments: