Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Mother of three stabbed over N600, cries for help

Taiwo Jimoh 

Ogunleye

 Mrs. Olayinka Ogunleye, 47, a noodles seller at the Magboro area of Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State, is presently at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Mushin, fighting to live after one of her customers, Opeyemi Rufai, stabbed her in the stomach, leaving her intestines gushing out.

According to eyewitnesses, Ogunleye, a mother of three, was stabbed in the stomach on July 29, 2021, at about 8pm, at Bionik Hotel, Alamo Street, leading to her intestines gushing out.

She explained that trouble started after her regular customer, Rufai, who is presently on the run, called and left instruction that she should prepare him a plate of noodles for him. He promised he would come in a few minutes to pick it.

Ogunleye, who is a divorcee, recalled that after she was through with the noodles, she waited endlessly for Rufai, but he didn’t come until hours later.

She said: "When Rufai eventually arrived, he demanded for his plate of the noodles, which I served him. He said he couldn’t eat it anymore because it had gone cold. We started arguing and then I left him at the bar. I went into the kitchen to prepare noodles for another customer. I didn’t want to waste it and so I gave it to Akpan, the manager of the hotel to eat. While I was preparing noodles for another customer in the kitchen, I was surprised when I saw Rufai in the kitchen He brought out N1000, saying I should give him his balance of N400, claiming he didn’t want trouble.”

Ogunleye said that immediately she gave Rufai his balance, she asked him to leave the kitchen.

She narrated: “But before I knew what was happening, he grabbed a pot of pepper I had boiled and poured it on me. Before I could get my bearing, I saw a knife in his hand and then in my stomach. Truthfully, I had bitten and injured him. If not because I escaped from the kitchen, I would have been dead by now. When I saw my intestines out, I screamed for help. I didn’t want to die, and it was some customers at the hotel that provided cloth for me to wrap around my stomach. My body was covered with blood; even those that assisted me into the car that took me to the hospital were also covered with blood.”

Ogunleye was rushed to Magboro Health Centre, where she was rejected. She was then moved to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja, unfortunately doctors were on strike.

She was then again rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Mushin, where she was finally accepted.

Ogunleye said: “It was when I was crying that I should be injected to death because of pains, that I was rushed into the theater. I thank God the operation was successful.”

She would later hear through her elder sister that Rufai’s family sent N70, 000 and another N30, 000 later. She was also told that the owner of the hotel, where the incident took place had also contributed N30, 000 towards her treatment.

Ogunleye said: “I was unconscious when I was rushed to the hospital because I had lost a lot of blood. All I could remember was being rushed into the theater. When I opened my eyes later, I was in the hospital ward. After the operation, doctors abandoned me due to their strike and also because I had no money. I’m appealing to well-meaning Nigerians and owner of Bionik Hotel, to come to my aid. I don’t want to die. There are some prescribed drugs I’m yet to buy because of lack of money. My family members have tried so much, but presently, I need further financial assistance.”

Rufai’s elder sister, Mrs. Abosede Omobolanle, described the incident as, “unfortunate.” She said it was not the first time that Rufai would be buying noodles from Ogunleye.

She said: “I was not at the scene of the incident, but I was told Olayinka was the first to grab a knife, threatening to stab my brother. Rufai, however, succeeded in wrestling the knife from her grip and stabbed her instead. After my brother had stabbed her, she ran to our house, covered with blood, to report to my mother that Rufai had stabbed her. We followed her to the hotel where the incident occurred, and it was from there she was rushed to the hospital. So far, we have spent N185, 000 on her.”

Asked the whereabouts of Rufai, Omobolanle replied that she didn’t know. She added that several attempts to get him on his phone line had been futile.

She further added: “My brother was also stabbed in his hands, back and shoulder. We even borrowed the money we spent on Olayinka.”

Some customers at the hotel also complained about Ogunleye, alleging that she usually flies into rage and used to threaten to stab customers at the slightest provocation.”

One of the customers, Oluwaseun Oshinuga, said: “There was a day Olayinka also threatened to stab me, just because we had a minor issue. On that fateful day, I had also asked her to prepared noodles for me, she said no. I then asked her if I had ever owed her. Before I knew what was happening, she dashed into the kitchen and returned with a knife, threatening to stab me. The truth is that in that clash between her and Rufai, she was at fault. She needs to remember that the customer is always right.”

Oshinuga further explained that usually, whenever Ogunleye prepared noodles for Rufai, she takes it to him, but on that fateful day, for reasons unknown, Ogunleye broke the tradition.

“On that day, she didn’t take the noodles to him after preparing it. Only God knows why. Notwithstanding that, Rufai came and paid for the noodles and then asked for his N400 balance, stressing that he didn’t want trouble.

Even when Rufai didn’t eat the noodles, he still paid,” Oshinuga stated.

Oshinuga remembered that the owner of the hotel, where the incident happened, came out to plead with Rufai to forgive Ogunleye, so that peace could reign.

Oshinuga said: “The issue of the noodles had been settled between her and Rufai, yet Olayinka continued to hurl insults at Rufai. It was annoyance that made Rufai to go to Olayinka’s kitchen to fight her, but instead they both ended up stabbing each other. Olayinka was the first person to stab Rufai. Since then, I had not seen Rufai in the hotel; even when policemen from Ibafo Police Station came, Rufai had disappeared. There was a time Olayinka attempted to stab another woman, also over a minor issue. I don't know why she likes trouble.”

Speaking on behalf of the owner of Bionik Hotel, Mr. Adenusi Abiodun, Barrister John Olobayo, said Ogunleye was a tenant at the hotel. He said that Ogunleye only uses the facility to sell food. She also sleeps in one of the rooms. The lawyer said that there had been too many complaints against the victim, including from her customers.

Olobayo said: “The police should go after Rufai because my client, Mr. Adenusi Abiodun, wrote boldly on the wall of the hotel that fighting and smoking of Indian hemp will not be entertained in the hotel. Rufai came to the hotel to eat, after which argument ensued between him and Olayinka, leading to the stabbing. We have not seen Rufai since the incident. When Olayinka was stabbed, my client paid N30, 000 for her treatment. It was also on record that Olayinka is an aggressive woman. She was responsible for her action.”

Olobayo continued: “The management of the hotel has done its part by paying for her medical bills. The business of my client had been affected because of the incident, and many customers are no longer patronizing the hotel. Many of them are afraid that the police will come to arrest them there. According to my client, that was not the first time Olayinka would be fighting customers. She had also been sent packing on several occasions, but she would return, pleading, promising to turn a new leaf. My client, who has a gentle and sympathetic nature, always forgives and takes her back. If my client has to further assist her, it should be of his free will, he shouldn’t be forced.”

 

 

 

No comments: