Tuesday, June 11, 2013

'I love you': What father of two shouted before shooting his wife and later hanging himself over her 'affair with solicitor'

She was at work in the hair salon when her husband burst in with a double-barrelled shotgun. He opened fire, shooting Rachel in the leg and peppering the owner and customers with lead shot.
Mrs Williams said in a statement: ‘Darren came with a black gym bag and pulled out a sawn-off shotgun. I immediately thought he was going to kill me and shouted: "Dar, No!"
‘He hit me across the head with the butt of the shotgun and I fell to the floor. I brought my leg up to protect me and he fired the first of two shots from point blank range.
Injured: Mrs Williams wrestled the gun from her husband before he ran from the salon, the inquest heard
Injured: Mrs Williams wrestled the gun from her husband before he ran from the salon, the inquest heard
‘Then he discharged the second, saying: “Rachel, I love you”.
She wrestled the gun from her husband before he ran from the salon, the inquest heard.
The couple had met in 1993 and married in 2005, but Mrs Williams described her husband as ‘jealous, controlling and possessive.’
'I’m going to get my revenge. I don’t want to kill her - I want to shoot both of her legs. I’m going to go bang, bang'
What Darren Williams allegedly told his sister Lisa Edwards
She said: ‘As long as he got his own way he was okay. He was intimidating and knew that where I was concerned, he could do what he liked.
‘Darren was on steroids and anti-depressants, which made him violent and unpredictable.’
Mr Williams was on bail for domestic assault charges when he shot his wife in the hair salon and hanged himself in August 2011.
He had appeared at Newport Crown Court on gun charges and engaged a local solicitor with whom his wife later allegedly started an affair.
Rachel Williams
Scene
Investigation: Mrs Williams (pictured left in hospital) was shot at Carol Ann’s Hair Stylist (right) in South Wales
His sister Rachael told the hearing: ‘Darren was told about the infidelity on his birthday, August 10. I can only imagine his reaction - devastation. Before that he had blamed himself for the breakdown of the marriage.’
Shooting: The inquest heard that if he had not killed himself, Mr Williams would have been charged with attempting to murder his wife
Shooting: The inquest heard that if he had not killed himself, Mr Williams would have been charged with attempting to murder his wife
Detective Inspector Justin O’Keefe said: ‘Rachel had a liaison with a man who was known to Darren. This man had acted as his solicitor in the past.
‘On August 11 we received reports Darren was on his way to kill that solicitor and he was arrested.’
The inquest heard that if he had not killed himself, Mr Williams would have been charged with attempting to murder his wife.
Mr Williams’s other sister Lisa Edwards said that the day before the shooting he had told her: ‘I’m going to get Rachel back for what she did to me.
‘I’m going to get my revenge. I don’t want to kill her - I want to shoot both of her legs. I’m going to go bang, bang.’
Gwent Coroner David Bowen said Mr Williams’s death was a result of his own unassisted action.
He said: ‘Whether it was due to the realisation of the enormity of what he had done, the irreparable breakdown of his marriage, his wife’s infidelity, or his previous involvement with the police - it is unnecessary for me to decide.’
He recorded a verdict that Mr Williams committed suicide while suffering an imbalance of the mind.
Mr Williams’s mother Barbara said after the hearing: ‘To sleep with his solicitor is unbelievable. We are convinced that is what pushed Darren over the edge.’
DAILYMAIL

No comments: