Friday, November 2, 2012

I’ll not resign because of bombings – Yakowa


The Governor of Kaduna State, Mr. Patrick Yakowa, has said he will not resign because of the bombings and killings of innocent people in his state.
The governor said the security problem confronting his state was not peculiar, as such, there was no reason for him to leave office.
Yakowa, who spoke with journalists after his visit to the headquarters of the Peoples Democratic Party in Abuja on Thursday, said his state was on top of the security situation.
He said, “Let me say to you outright that I will not (resign). But absolutely, there is no reason for me to resign. We are on top of the security challenges we are facing in Kaduna State.
“We are working closely with the Federal Government and the security agencies. There is no part of the world where you don’t have security challenges.
“For somebody to look at me and ask whether I would resign, I will not. There is absolutely no reason for me to resign. We are on top of the situation.”
The governor had been asked whether he was ready to resign following the incessant killing of the people of the state by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.
A suicide bomber attacked St. Rita’s Catholic Church, Ungwan Yero, in Kaduna State on Sunday.
The attack led to the death of 15 people while more than 100 were injured.
Before then, the state had recorded several bombings and killings of innocent people.
Asked about his mission at the party’s national headquarters, Yakowa said he was there to discuss with the national officers.
“I came here to consult and interact with the party. As the leader of the party of my state, I come here to consult with the leadership and I have benefited a lot from the discussion we had today,” he added. 
Also speaking at the party’s headquarters, the Governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Aliyu Wamakko, denied the allegation that governors were not funding the party as expected.
Though he was not specific, Wamakko merely said the governors were behind the party and were working for its success.
He said, “I can say that all governors are solidly behind the party and we are working with the party to ensure its success.”
The Punch

No comments: