Monday, February 18, 2019

Confessions of top Boko Haram Commander: How my gang killed seven policemen, break into prison…to free our members




* Islamic cleric initiates me into Boko Haram

*We operate in police, army uniforms, move bombs to target points

Juliana Francis

One of the top Boko Haram Commanders, Umar Abdulmalik, arrested two weeks ago, has revealed how his gang members caused mayhem using police and military uniforms.


This was even as Abdulmalik disclosed that his first contact with Boko Haram was through an Islamic cleric, Mallam Mustapha.

He was arrested by operatives of the Inspector General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team, IRT, in Lagos State.

Abdulmalik and his gang members were alleged to be responsible for carrying out several bombings, bank robberies and killings within the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja, Owo in Ondo State and Lokoja Kogi State.

In 2014, Abdulmalik led Kotonkarife Prison break in Kogi State, where 200 inmates were alleged to have escaped.

The prison break occurred on November 2, and one inmate was shot dead during the attack. Most of the inmates that escaped were those awaiting trial for robbery and 12 inmates returned to the prison, to complete their jail term. At least 45 inmates were later recaptured.
Back then, many speculated that the prison break was orchestrated Boko Haram insurgent, who came to free their imprisoned members.
Indeed, it was during the prison break that security agents shot Abdulmalik in his eye.
Speaking in the custody of IRT, Abdulmalik recounted: “Zeedi brought some guns and suggested we should attack Kotonkarife Prison in Kogi State. We attacked the prison to free our detained members. The attack on the prison was successful; we freed a lot of our members. We then went ahead to attack some banks in Okene. We emptied their vaults.”

How I became a Boko Haram member

Abdulmalik, 30, from Okene in Kogi State, was alleged to have killed over 200 persons before his arrest. He disclosed that an Islamic cleric, Mustapha, initiated him into Boko Haram.

He recalled: “Mustapha came into Okene with his teachings in 2009. He built a mosque and urged residents to shun western education. He said that it was a sin Allah. He urged us to accept Islamic education, which he said was the only education accepted by Allah. I attended several Mallam Mustapha’s teachings. He urged his followers to disregard Nigeria, and waged war against her, as her system of government was not in line with the dictate of Allah. He said that the Nigerian system of government ought to be in an Islamic fashion.”  

Abudulmalik explained that he joined some of Mustapha’s followers and destroyed their school certificates. He and others accepted to wage war against the Nigeria.

The Boko Commander narrated: “I joined one of the Boko Haram cells in Okene headed by Zeeidi. We carried out several bombings within Kaduna and Kano states. We also bombed Abuja.  Zeeidi was the persons providing the bombs. My job was to take these bombs to our target locations.  After a while, the Department of State Security (DSS) infiltrated our cell. They started arresting members of our group. Mustapha was arrested his mosque demolished. Zeeidi also brought the idea of bank robbery so that those of us who had not been arrested could have resources to continue with the Jihad.”

Abudulmalik continued: “We moved to Owo and also attacked some of the banks there with dynamites. We carted away large sums of money. We used some of the money we made from those robberies to buy advance explosives. We also bought materials for producing none-metallic bombs, which could beat metal detectors. 
“A lot of our members and Zeeidi were arrested after those bank robberies and attack on the prison. I moved to Abuja with the bombs we produced, where I formed a new cell in 2014. We carried out several bombings, including bombing of Banex Plaza, Yanya and Kueje areas of Abuja. Our gang was smashed and five of our members arrested. The police recovered our bombs and materials used in bomb making. I escaped, fled to Kano, where I went underground for two years. I later returned to Abuja and formed a new gang. We then went into full armed robbery operation.”

The police said: “The IRT, led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Mr. Abba Kyari, generated new intelligence, which aided the arrest of Abdulamilk. Seven policemen and a civilian were attacked and killed in July, 2018, at a police post on the Galadima Roundabout, Abuja. Operatives of IRT launched investigations into these killings. Five months into the investigations, the IRT made a breakthrough. The operatives arrested a member of the gang identified as Lukman Abdulmalik alias Lampard, through a tip-off in Ondo State. He confessed to have taken part in the killing of the seven policemen. Lampard went on to identify Abdulmalik as the leader of his gang. He said that Abdulmalik instructed them to always kill policemen whenever the opportunity arises and take their rifles.” 

The police source further said that Lampard took IRT operatives to the gang’s hideout in Abuja, where four gang members were arrested.

The members were identified as Abubakar Bello Sidi, Yusuf Abdulazeez alias, Fine Boy, Suleman Zakariya and Haruna Lamid. While the four suspects were arrested, Abdulmalik escaped with bullet wounds. 

The operatives recovered four AK47 rifles, six magazines, 270 rounds of AK-47 ammunition and two police Walkie-Talkie radio belonging to deceased policemen from the suspects.


The police further revealed: “Abdulmalik ran to Lagos State with his bullet wounds to the home of his younger sister, who is a nurse. He started receiving treatments. Unknown to him, IRT operatives in Lagos had got information that he had a sister residing in Lagos. They trailed him to her house and met him sleeping, and arrested him.”

Abdulmalik said: “After I formed my new robbery gang, we robbed a woman N500, 000, which was money she got from a contribution with some women. One of our gang members, who got information about the money, told me about it. We robbed the woman and took the money.  We also robbed a man at Okene check point.
“We pretended to be policemen and collected N1.3m from the man. We moved to Abuja, where we started robbing super markets, including shopping customers at Shoprite. We killed a policeman at Shoprite in Suleja and made away with his rifle.  We also robbed a shop along Second Gate on the Abuja-Kaduna Road.”

Dismissed policeman aided our gang with information

Abdulmalik further disclosed that most of the gang’s operations wouldn’t have been possible, if not for the information supplied by a dismissed policeman known as Apin-Iron.
Apin-Iron was dismissed for taking part in armed robbery.

Iron has two Ak-47 rifles and a pistol, which he used to threaten drug smugglers in Abuja and collect their drugs.

The suspect: “We normally visit his place to buy and smoke drugs. It was from there we became friends. During one of our visits, Iron told us that he knew many rich people, who we could rob. He said that the only he wanted was for us to give his share after each operation. He gave us information about a man. We robbed the man and collected N4m from him.
“We gave Iron N2.5m as his share. He also gave us several other jobs and then I had this accident, which damaged my eye.”

Our operation in military uniform, with fraudster

Abdulmalik said that after recuperating, he met an internet fraudster called Mustapha. Mustapha was making a lot of money from his crimes, but started receiving threats from some cult members in his community.

To get the cult members off his back, Mustapha reported the young men to the police. They were arrested and soon granted bail. They came back, threatening him.

Abdulmalik recounted: “Mustapha came to me; he said that he needed my men to protect him. I explained to him, that to make that possible, he would need to buy two AK47 rifles for my men. He bought the guns and then my men, Lampard and Abubakar, started moving around with him on military uniforms. People thought they were soldiers. He wanted my men to kill the cultist members and a nurse treating him. He wanted to kill the nurse because she saw him performing a ritual in his house. He said that the woman went to tell people that he was using charms to make money.
“I told my men not to kill the woman or the cult boys. Mustapha became angry with me. I’m suspect that he was the person that went to inform the police about my gang.”

He continuedContinuing, Abdulmalik said,  After I lost my eyes I was in the hospital  but my boys were still going for robbery and they were only bring money to me.  I wasn’t with them when they killed the seven policemen at Galadima roundabout. I was in the hospital.  After I was discharged I have not gone for any robbery with them  but the police later arrested Lampard and  Abubakar and they brought the policemen to my house. I had an Ak-47 rifle with me when the police came and I fired some shots which made it easy for me to escape but the police returned fire and I got injured.  I managed to escape to Iyano Sango Ota Ogun State, where my sister resides and I later learned that the police went on to arrest Fine-Boy and Abubakar and Sulieman, a guy known as scorpion called and informed me. I don’t know how the police knew I was in my sister’s place,  they found me sleeping and I was arrested.” He stated

No comments: