Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Police foil plans of employees to kidnap boss for N6m ransom

Stanley Ihedigbo

The Lagos State Police Command has foiled plans by four employees to abduct their boss in order to demand N6million ransom.


The suspects’ boss is oil and gas merchant, thus the men thought they would get good money if they kidnapped him. The plan and their eventual arrest occurred at Buchnor area of Ejigbo.

The suspects have been identified as Solomon Otungo, Sunday Nwankwo, Agu Izuchukwu, (19) and Tunde Olaewo (21).

Police said that the suspects had been holding night meetings on how they would kidnap and keep their employer incommunicado until a ransom of N60 million had been paid.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu, said that police swung into action after receiving credible intelligence that some newly employed workers of the victim were planning to kidnap him.


Muazu said: “It was based on that information that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Ejigbo Police Headquarters, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Mrs Okuwobi Olabisi, mobilised policemen and stormed the venue of the meeting, where the following suspects were promptly rounded up and arrested. The confessional statements of the suspects, led to the arrest of Nwankwo, in Isolo area of Lagos State.”

Muazu alleged that the suspects in unison, confessed to the crime. The CP added: “The suspects had their plan foolproof. They were going to demand N60m ransom from the businessman.”

Muazu emphasized that the suspects would be charged to court at the conclusion of investigation.

Robber arrested in Lagos after snatching in Akure
Taiwo Jimoh
The suspected car snatcher, Idowu Popoola, has been arrested by the Anti-Cultism Unit of the Lagos State Police Command, after allegedly snatching a car at Akure, Ondo State.
Popoola was intercepted at Ijanikin area of the state while trying to escape with the KIA Sport Utility Vehicle with registration number MUS 910 DA, which he snatched at Akure, Ondo State.
After Popoola hijacked the car, he drove it to Lagos, planning to sell it.  Unfortunately, he was arrested before he could find a buyer.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu, said Popoola was arrested at Ijanikin area of the metropolis.
He explained: "A team of Anti-Cultism operatives led by CSP Uduak Isaac, attached to the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (SCIID), Panti, Yaba, while on patrol, accosted the suspect with the car. The suspect was arrested when he couldn’t give reasonable explanation about the car. The Unit moved the suspect to its office, where he later confessed that he stole the car from Akure and brought it to Lagos to look for a buyer."
The CP further said: “The suspect said that he belonged to a three-man robbery gang. The vehicle was snatched at gunpoint by his gang on February, 2, in Akure, Ondo State.”

The owner of the vehicle had been contacted, while investigation into the matter is still ongoing. The CP said that the police were already on the trail of the two fleeing members of the gang.
The owner of the car, Mr. Olaniran Olanusi, was returning from a function when the three suspects swooped on him and collected his car at gunpoint.
He said: "Initially, I didn't know the armed robbers were trailing me. When I get to the gate of my estate, I horn repeatedly for the gateman to open the door for me. I was still at the gate, waiting for the gateman to open the gate when the three suspects alighted from motorbike and ordered me to come down. They ordered me to hand over my car key to them. When I tried to play smart with them, they threatened to kill me. Immediately, I ran out of the car and left it for them. When I eventually came back, they had left with my car. It was on Tuesday that I received a call from Lagos Command that my car had been recovered. It was a surprise to me. I thought I wouldn't find it again."

      

No comments: