Monday, May 11, 2020

My life in danger, says man whose wife had sex with Police Chief

Juliana Francis
Mr Clement Etim, a businessman, on Wednesday said that his life and those of two others were in danger.

Etim, who spoke from his hiding, alleged that some Policemen were seriously hunting for him, his cousin, Oko Edet and his 15-year-old houseboy, Christopher Bassey.
Chatting with our reporter, he said: “I shouldn’t be speaking with you at all. I can’t say much for now, but my lawyer, Effiong knows everything about this matter. My life and those of my cousin and house help are in danger. Policemen are looking for us. Right now, I don’t even have a place to stay, let alone to sleep.”
The drama, which had become the story of Etim’s life had earlier been reported by SaharaReporters.
It was gathered that for long, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Celestine Umeh, had been having a torrid affair with Etim’s wife, Lawrentia, a mother of two.
Etim was not aware of the affair until neighbours whispered into his ears. On April 27, Etim deliberately returned home, when he was not supposed to, and caught his wife in bed with Umeh.
Etim reportedly said: “Whenever I travel to Calabar where I do my business, I usually receive reports that my wife invites her lover, CSP Umeh, to our matrimonial home to spend the night. They were having sexual affair in my house not minding the presence of my home help, a boy of 15 years old. On getting home in the evening last Monday, I caught the CSP with my wife in bed.”
According to the businessman, he and his cousin, Edet, saw the lovers in his bed. When Umeh saw the men, he allegedly ran out, followed by Lawrentia. It was further mentioned that in Umeh’s desperation to escape from the embarrassing situation, he bolted, leaving his Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV).
Etim said that he was shocked when the CSP, along with Lawrentia, returned with policemen and arrested him, Edet and Bassey. The three suspects were marched to the Akwa Ibom State Police Command.
When they got to the command, they were alleged of assaulting a senior police officer and stealing his phones. Etim further alleged that he was subsequently tortured by the Officer-in-Charge of General Investigation, a Superintendent of Police (SP) identified as Ekene Nwosu and other policemen.
Etim was detained from April 27 to 30th before he was granted bail. But rather than go home, he went in search of treatment because he was bleeding from the ear, allegedly caused by torture.
When he eventually got to his house after being discharge from hospital, he found it empty of all furniture. He was briefed by neighbours that his wife with some men came to clear the apartment.
A human right lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, who had taken up the battle on behalf of Etim and others in search of justice, told our reporter that since the police couldn’t locate Etim, who went for treatment and was hospitalised, they dragged Edet and Bassey to court.
One of the charges states: “That you Clement Asuquo Etim, Patrick Okon Edet, and Christopher Bassey Effiong, on the 27th day of April, 2020 at Aba-ukpo Estate, in the Uyo Magisterial District, unlawfully assaulted one Celestine Umeh, a Chief Superintendent of Police, by smashing a bottle on his head which caused him harm. Thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 364 of the Criminal Code, Cap.38. Vol.2, of Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, 2000.”
Effiong said: “The Police are still trying to re-arrest Etim. We understood that his phone is being tracked. When the matter was taken to court, Etim was in hospital, he was not among the suspects that were arraigned. It was his cousin and househelp that were arraigned. His life is still in danger. Right now as I’m speaking with you, he doesn’t have a place to sleep. As at yesterday (Tuesday), Police Complaint Unit said the matter was being investigated, but we have not been contacted.”
Etim further told the reporter: “My life is important to me. I don’t want to die, that’s why I’m in hiding. I want government to get involved in this matter and carry out an exhaustive investigation supported by my lawyer. It’s only investigation that will make them find out the truth. The matter had not been investigated at all. The Policemen arrested my 15-year-old houseboy and forced to claim 18 years, I don’t know why.”

No comments: