Tuesday, August 6, 2019

‘How I became Eiye confraternity leader after arriving Lagos’

Taiwo Jimoh
A self-acclaimed Eiye Confraternity leader, Tunde Sani (39), recently arrested by detectives attached to the Anti-Cultism Unit, Lagos State Police Command at Amukoko area of the state, has revealed how he became the leader of the Eiye confraternity.

Sani said that he left Ilorin, Kwara State, for Lagos to recruits and initiate more members into the cult group in Lagos.
It was gathered that the suspect, who had been on the Police Wanted List for long, was eventually arrested on July 26, at Ifelodun Street, Amukoko area of the state after much surveillance by a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Akaninyene Etuk and his Operational Officer, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Stephen Kuti and other members of the unit.
A police source said: “The suspect has been on our Most Wanted Cultists List in the state. He was arrested at their hideout at Amukoko when he was about to initiates more members into their confraternity.”
The police source stated that it was an achievement for them, to have finally succeeded in arresting Sani. According to the policeman, it was one of Sani’s members that gave the police clue on how to hunt, locate and arrest him.
The source further said: “We recovered charms, cutlass and other weapons when we went to search his house. We’re not relenting on our efforts to arrest other members of the gang who are still at large.”
Sani, while speaking with our correspondent, confirmed that he was a member of the Eiye group. He, however, insisted that he denounced the group in 2005, which he said was four years after his initiation.  
Sani added: “I was very young when I was initiated into the group in 2001 by my cousin in Ilorin. On the fateful day I was initiated, my cousin came to call me that I should accompany him to a party. It was at the party that I was initiated into the cult group. I was threatened not to tell anybody. After I was initiated, I still didn’t understand what I was supposed to do as a member. But after a few years of being with them, I travelled down to Lagos. When I got to Lagos, I didn’t know how Eiye members in Lagos identified me. I was automatically made their leader. As a leader, my role was to coordinate and bring more members. After I got married, I reduced my participation with them. I didn’t want my wife and children to know that I belonged to such a group. I was doing my bricklaying job peacefully. I was with my friends at Ifelodun Street when police came to arrest me around.”
When one of the policemen ordered Sani to remove his shirt, an eagle was tattooed on his back. The police alleged that the tattoo indicated that Sani was a cult leader.
In another development, Afeez Muhammed and Fatai Ibrahim were arrested on July 26, for allegedly peddling Indian hemps at the Amukoko area of the state.
Muhammed said that it was as a result of his broken leg that led him into the selling of Indian hemp.
His words: “In December last year, when youths from Akpasa and market boys were fighting, I broke my leg. I broke it in the process of trying to restore peace in the community. I fell down while trying to run from being arrested by soldiers. It’s true; I was once a member of Eiye. But I denounced my membership after I got married.  I’m only selling the Indian hemp to sustain my family. It was when the policemen came to search my house that they found charms, cutlasses, axe and two bags of Indian hemps.”
Ibrahim on his part said that he was learning vulcanizing job, because his parents didn’t give him enough money. This made him to start assisting Baba Moshood to sell Indian hemp.
He said: “I sell and make between N50, 000 to N20, 000 on the sale of Indian hemp every day. I would be given N1000 as my commission. I was also arrested at Ifelodun Street. I regret my action. I don’t want my parents to know that I sell drug.” 

No comments: