Monday, September 30, 2013

A reporter’s diary: My encounter with armed robbers



Dotun Oladipo(CEO theeagleonline.com.ng)
I am really grateful to all those who called, sent text messages, email and Facebook messages to wish me, my wife and kids over the traumatic experience of the armed robbery incident of September 25, 2013.
I will remain eternally grateful as this provided the needed boost to get over the incident.
But I must quickly add that the experience has further eroded my confidence in the Nigeria Police despite the fact that my own Dad died in active service as a Commissioner of Police.
At the Oko Oba Police Station, when my wife first reported the robbery case, appealing to the policemen on duty that night to act fast as the armed robbers took me along with them when the car was taken.
She was told by the policeman she met on duty, who was more interest in preparing his tea for the night, that she should drop some money, that they would search for me in the morning.
This was at about 10pm.
Not even the information that my wife saw the car speeding off close to the police station, moved this so-called officer.
And when I eventually showed up at the police station to incident the case the following day, the response was no better: I should bring money to enable them send the required signal.
I have not gone back there since.
This was in sharp contrast to the offer rendered by the Oodua People’s Congress, whose President, is Otunba Gani Adams.  I reached out to them at about midnight when I eventually had access to the house.
By 2:30am, the message had reached all the cells of OPC in Lagos and Ogun States.
Since my phones were also taken, let me appeal that you should please send me your numbers and Blackberry Pin again so we can connect.
My numbers remain: 08023145962 and 08094000057.
The Blackberry PIN is now: 2AFE173B.
Once again, I say a big thank you to all concerned as the search for the car, with registration number MUS 729 BD, continues.

No comments: