Thursday, September 26, 2013

‘I impersonated policeman to get free ride’


Braimoh
A 48-year-old man, who was arrested by the Lagos State Police Command for impersonating a policeman, said he did it to get favours from members of the public.
The suspect, Felix Braimoh, told policemen at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad that he usually got free rides from private and commercial drivers by wearing police uniform.
The suspect, who claimed to be a driver, however, said he never extorted money from members of the public.
The Edo State indigene said, “I am a driver and I have worked for several companies. However, after I had a hernia surgery, the company I was working with decided to sack me. I was given N32,000 and asked to leave.
“I used part of my savings to set up a barber shop and a music studio. However, I could not make ends meet as a barber and a deejay and things became very difficult.”
The suspect told PUNCH Metro that when he could no longer pay his children’s school fees, he got police accoutrement and started wearing them to get favours from members of the public.
He said, “I have five children and I could no longer pay their school fees. One of my friends, who is a mobile policeman gave me an old pair of trousers. I put it on and then bought a cap and a pair of boots from a Man O War official.
“Anytime, I’m going out, I enter commercial buses or motorcycles free of charge. I was saving a lot of money on transport.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect was arrested during the last environmental sanitation exercise.
It was learnt that he had put on the police cap and boots in order to avoid being challenged by environmental task force officials.
He said, “On that day, I went to do some work in my shop but on my way back, around Cele Bridge, I saw a policeman on a motorcycle and I flagged him down and asked him to give me a lift to Ejigbo. On our way to Ejigbo, the man asked me where I was serving but I opened up to him and told him I was not a real policeman.
“The man stopped his ride and we got into an argument. Around that time, a police patrol vehicle was driving by and the policemen spotted us. I was arrested and taken to Ikotun Police Division.”
The suspect however pleaded with the police to let him go as he had never claimed to be a policeman.
“I never used the uniform to extort money. Even after I was arrested, policemen went to my house and conducted a search. They did not find anything incriminating,” he said.
The spokesperson for the state police command, Damasus Ozoani, said the suspect would be charged to court.
PUNCH

No comments: