Sunday, May 5, 2019

I charged N200, 000 from policemen for promotion, says instructor posing as IG

Juliana Francis

Operatives of the Inspector-General of Police (IG) Special Intelligence Response Team have arrested a gym instructor, Loveday Ugochukwu (31), for allegedly posing as the IG, Mohammed Adamu, on social media to defraud unsuspecting members of the public.


Loveday was arrested alongside a taxi driver, Ugochukwu Ohia.  During interrogation, Loveday confessed to have impersonated senior police officers in order to swindle members of the public and police personnel via social media.

He confessed to have posed as the IG on Facebook and under that ploy, conned some Nigerians, including policemen.
According to the suspect, he took to cybercrime after his wife had a baby through a caesarean section. Although the baby died, he had to pay N320, 000 medical bills. He disclosed that the payment bankrupt him.
He was ruminating over his depressing financial situation when his wife’s friend, Ihuoma Chima, visited him. Chima revealed to him how to get out of his financial difficulty.

Loveday said: “I first started internet scam by using the picture of the Deputy-Inspector-General of Police (DIG), Peace Igbokwe, on Facebook. People tried to secure employment through me, thinking I was the DIG Igbokwe. Policemen chatted me up on social media, asking for assistance to go on Peace Keeping Mission, while others asked for promotions.
“I charged between N70, 000 to N60, 000 from those seeking for Peace Keeping Mission. I charged N200, 000 from policemen begging for promotion. I later set up another account, using photographs of the new IG, Mohammed Adamu.”

The suspect said that he actively started using the IG’s account and profile on January 23, 2019. He claimed to have used it to defraud only two persons. But police believed otherwise.

Loveday said: “One of them was a policeman. He wanted be among policemen picked for Peace Keeping Mission. He paid N15, 000. The second person is Mr Shuiabu Semion; he requested for the renewal of his gas contract with the Nigeria Police.”

Loveday ran into trouble after he swindled Semion, a police contractor of N800, 000. Loveday defrauded Semion under the guise of trying to help him renew his contract of supplying gas to the Nigeria Police Force. The contract was terminated in 2002.

The police said: “Semion started communicating with Loveday on Facebook on January 23, 2019. This was a few days after President Muhammadu Buhari, appointed and decorated the Acting IG. Thinking he was interacting with the new IG, Semion pleaded that his gas contract with the police ne renewed.  Loveday quickly referred him to his ‘protocol officer,’ who he identified as Luka Abraham, an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP). Loveday asked Semion to call the ACP on phone. He gave him a phone number.”

When Semion called, Loveday, who was also the ‘protocol officer,’ told him to pay N800, 000 for paper work documentations.

The source said: “An account number was sent to Semion, who quickly made the payment. Semion started suspecting something was wrong when the protocol officer kept asking for more money to perfect the paper works. When Semion informed the fake IG about the development, he insisted Semion should continue to deal with his protocol officer.”

Semion at that point was uneasy and suspecting something was fishy, went to IRT office in Abuja to report the incident. He was fortunate to meet the overall head of IRT Unit, a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari. After listening to Semion, Kyari told him that he was dealing with a fraudster. The crack detective further advised him to play along with the fraudster so that operatives could catch him. A few days later, Loveday called Semion, demanding for additional money.

The police explained: “The victim told him that he had only N30, 000 with him. The victim further told him that there was no money in his account. He said that he was broke. He asked Loveday if he could send his boys to meet him somewhere, so that he could hand over the money to them. The suspect quickly called his accomplice, Ohia. Both of them headed straight to Abuja Central Business District, to meet Semion. IRT operatives laid ambush for them.”

When Loveday and Ohia got to the location, Ohia called Semion on phone and introduced himself as Personal Assistant (PA) to the protocol officer to the IGP. For reasons yet to be fathomed, Loveday and Ohia sensed danger and immediately attempted to bolt.
But IRT operatives, who were on ground, started chasing them. They were arrested at the Abuja City gate. 

Loveday confessed after his arrest that he was the fake IG, who had been operating on Facebook. He also acted as protocol officer to the IGP on the phone.  

Ohia, denying he was into cybercrime, claimed to have only provided a cab service to his friend. Loveday, who described himself as a gym instructor, said: “I went into internet fraud after my wife delivered our last child through a caesarian section. The baby later died, but I had already paid N320, 000, which eventually made me broke.  One of my wife’s friends, Ihuoma Chima, who came to sympathize with me on the death of our baby, lured me into internet fraud.’

Remembering how his police victims used to chat with him, Loveday said: “Whenever they start chatting with me, I referred them to my ‘protocol officer’. I used to tell them that my protocol officer would process everything for them. I would give them the name of the officer as ACP Luka Abraham, with phone number 08098306171, which is actually my phone number. Whenever the person called, we go into negotiation on how I could assist the person. After negotiation, I send an account name bearing Sunday Aduyikodu, with account number 2083471724. It was after DIG Igbokwe retired, that I opened another different account. I knew people would no longer want to discuss with her again.”

Loveday said that when Semion told him that he was financially down and had only N30, 000 with him, he asked him to send it across. Semion, however, said that his brother would wait for Loveday’s orderly at an agreed venue.

Loveday said: “I told him that I was going to send my orderly to his fillings station. I contacted a taxi driver and asked him to take me to the location. When I got there, I asked the driver to use his phone to call the man. The man came with an envelope. I asked the driver to receive it. And then suddenly, a vehicle showed up from nowhere. It tried to block our car; I sensed danger as men came out to surround our car. I asked the driver to drive out of the place. We zoomed off immediately; while we were speeding off, our vehicle had a minor accident at City Gate. We stopped to check it and some mobile policemen at that place saw and arrested us. They handed us over to the other policemen that had been chasing us.”

Ohia (38), narrating his own story, said: “I’m a taxi driver. I reside in Luge area of Abuja.  Loveday is my friend. We have known each other since 2012. He told me that he is a gym instructor.  I’m aware that Loveday is into internet fraud. Penultimate Tuesday, he called and told me and that someone owed him money at the central area.
“He said that the person wanted him to come to a filling station within the area. He said that when we get to the place, I should call the person’s phone number. He said that when the person comes with the money, he would collect it himself.
“When we got there, I made the call. A man came towards our car with an envelope. When he sighted us, he shouted and some men came out from every corner. A vehicle also tried to block us. I drove dangerously and we escaped from the scene. I then had an accident, which made police to catch up with us.”

No comments: