Monday, June 24, 2019

‘Why I killed my fiancee's mom on eve of our wedding’

Juliana Francis
A dismissed policeman, Ogwu Christian (39), who killed his fiancée’s mother, for allegedly convincing her daughter not to marry him, has boasted that he would be acquitted if taken to court.

The suspect confessed to have accosted his mother-in-law to be, Veronica Obiejiogo (45) on the road and shot her at close range, leaving her dead.
The suspect, who claimed to be a graduate of Marine Engineering, University of Benin, was also fine tuning his plans to murder his fiancée, Blessing Obiejiogo, before operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT), led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, swooped on him.
Christian, however, since his arrest, has been begging operatives of the IRT to take him to court.
He claimed that he would get an acquittal if taken to court, because most of the magistrates and judges in Nigerian courts belonged to the same cult as him.
He maintained that it was even because of this cult members that he had to kill his fiancée’s mom and was also bent on killing his fiancée. According to him, members of this secret cult knew he was planning to marry the lady in question and already set to follow him. But the lady disgraced and played him for a fool.
Christian, from Delta State, ran to Port Harcourt, Rivers State, after killing Veronica with a locally made pistol in front of one of her sons at Otolokpo community in Ika North Local Government Area of Delta State. 
Veronica’s devastated family members were said to have petitioned the IGP, Mohammed Adamu, seeking for justice. Thus Adamu deployed IRT operatives to hunt down Christian.
It was gathered that Christian, after killing Veronica, switched off all his phones and went underground.
The operatives started their investigation and the hunt for Christian right from his village in Afor, in Delta State. They spoke with many of his relatives and began to profile him. The police later used some of the information they got from his relatives to locate him.
He was trailed and arrested in the premises of a commercial bank in Port Harcourt. He was located five months after the hunt for him started.
While speaking with journalists on how and why he killed Veronica, Christian didn’t display an iota of remorse over his action.
A police source disclosed: “Rather, he blamed his actions on Veronica, who he claimed made his fiancée, Blessing, to abort their three-month-old pregnancy. He also blamed the woman for the cancellation of his wedding to Blessing, which was supposed to take place on December 27, 2018.”
The suspect, who police described as a local fraudster, said he became frustrated and angry with Veronica and Blessing and vowed to kill them. According to him, he strongly felt that they both betrayed and played him. He also claimed to have spent too much money on Blessing.
The police further said: “Investigation has shown that Veronica truly discouraged her daughter from going on with the marriage. This was after she found out that Christian was not a senior police officer as he claimed and made them to believe. She found out he was a fraudster, swindling people of their money, while pretending to help them get jobs with security agencies. Veronica was further incensed when Christian defrauded two residents of their Otolokpo community. These two victims, approached him as their prospective in-law and begged him to assist them to secure appointments with the Federal Road Safety Commission, (FRSC). He collected N25, 000 each from them, but didn’t deliver on his promise. The incident caused embarrassment for Veronica’s family.”
Christian enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force in 2000, but was later dismissed after armed robbers stole a smoke gun that was assigned to him at a checking point. Before he was sacked, his Force number was 371416. He trained at Police College, Ikeja, with other policemen and posted to Iho Police Division in Edo State. He served for five years before he was dismissed.
He explained that he joined a fraud syndicate in Asaba, Delta State, after he lost his police job. He started posing as an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), working at the Force Headquarters Abuja.
He said: “The man, who got me into the syndicate taught me all the tricks; I became a professional fraudster. I started using my police experience to defraud people. I adopted the rank of an ASP and people started coming to me for assistances.  Some policemen, who were looking for promotions came to me for help, just because I told them I worked in the IG’s office. They paid me and also those that want to be recruited as police constable, came to me. I usually demanded N150, 000 as my fee.  People, who want to enlist as Cadet Officers paid me N400, 000.  I took several of such jobs, but only succeeded in delivering just a few. When I failed, I keep the victims on hold. They all thought I was a genuine policeman. I also used my position as a fake policeman to smuggle drugs into Ilorin Kwara State and in some cases, I tell people that I work with the EFCC.
“In the course of my fraud business, I met Blessing at Ogwuachukwu Polytechnic, Delta State, where she was a student.  She told me she was single and we started a relationship. In the process, she became pregnant and aborted it. She said she couldn’t have a baby for me, because her family didn’t know me. In April, 2018, I went for a formal introduction. Blessing’s family asked me to return for a more elaborate introduction ceremony. They also promised to send me the list for the marriage.
 “On September 7, 2018, I went again with my family and we had the ceremony and I got the list.  On October of that same year, Blessing informed me that she was pregnant. I said there was no problem; that we would have to hurry up the marriage. We then fixed December 27, 2018 as the date of the marriage. I gave her money to buy clothes for the occasion.”
Christian continued his narration: “Blessing got the clothes, which also included mine. On December 5, 2018, she called and said she was on her way to Asaba, where I resided. I waited for her, but she didn’t come. I started calling her, but she refused to pick her calls. Her brother, Friday, called and informed me that Blessing was in a hospital at Asaba, because of complications arising from abortion she did. He said that their mother was at the hospital with her.
“I went to the hospital to see the doctor, but he refused me access to Blessing and her mother. One of my brothers called and told me that Blessing called to inform him that she had a miscarriage. I felt something was fishy. I called her to know what was going on; she told me that she was in Asaba, staying with her friend.  I went there, but couldn’t see her.
“I waited all day without seeing her; I then stopped looking for her. On December 21, 2018, she called and informed me that she has traveled to Lagos. I became very angry and confused. I believed that Blessing and her mother took me for a fool.  I met one of my friends, Steven and narrated what I was going through to him. Steven advise me to calm down. But I was so angry. I needed to deal with Blessing and her mother. I asked Steven to get me a gun with two live cartridges, which he did. I paid him N10, 000.  On December 26, 2018, which was supposed to be the eve of our marriage, I took the gun and went to Blessing’s village.
“I investigated and discovered that she was in town, but when I called her, she said that she was in Lagos. I went to a nearby shop and I bought a bottle of dry gin. I also bought some sachets of Tramadol. I took them at once to get ‘inspiration.’ I didn’t want to be scared and have a change of mind. I soon sighted her mother and younger brother, walking towards my direction. I accosted them, brought out my gun and shot the woman. I watched her die and then zoomed off on the motorcycle I came with.
“I took the gun to my sister’s place in Oriegoh, and dropped it with her. I then fled to Rivers State.  While in Rivers, I went to stay with a friend, but I didn’t tell him what I had done. He knew I was a fraudster; we continued with our fraud business.  I even had a client from Lagos, who was coming to pay me some money on the day I was arrested.”

No comments: