Tuesday, February 4, 2020

‘I sold my nephew to raise money to build house for mother’

Juliana Francis

Two lovers, Ifeoma Ebony 32, and Emmanuel Onyekwere 32, have revealed how to steal and traffic children in Nigeria.

According to the lovers, they steal the children from different states in Nigeria and sell to waiting buyers later identified as Blessing Nwankwo, Chioma Nike and Onwa.
In their first deal, Onyekwere without any qualms or second thought, organised and stole the two-year-old child of his sister. Prices for the children ranged from N250, 000, N300, 000 and N450, 000.
Ebony, a mother of two, who had previously spent six months in prison for stealing and selling children, said that she was also a prostitute. After leaving prison, Ebony went back to her old ways.
When Onyekwere was asked why he went into such a dastardly crime, he replied that his quest to build a house for his mother pushed into the business.
His words: “I met Ifeoma where she was working as a prostitute. She lured me into this business of stealing and selling children. Things weren’t good for me, and my family had no house in the village. Ifeoma assured me that stealing and trafficking children would fetch me enough money to build a house for my mother. It was at that point that I went to my village and stole my sister’s two-year-old son Victor. Ifeoma and I sold him to an old woman, who waited for us at Holy Ghost Church in Enugu State.  I pretended like I was praying in the church and we waited for the woman. I didn’t want anyone to notice what we were doing. My sister’s son looks so much like me. The old woman paid us N250,000.”
He further explained that when he collected the child, many people saw him. After selling the child, he started receiving series of calls from family members, asking him to return Victor home. He began to panic.
“People knew I was the last person seen with Victor. I received series of call, asking me to return the child. They even threatened to kill me if I didn’t bring back the child. A friend, Onwa, then took me to native doctor, who prepared charms for me that would make my people not to ask for the child anymore. He then collected the N250, 000 that was paid to me the sale of the child as his fee,” narrated Onyekwere.
The gang was smashed by operatives of the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT). At the last count, the operatives had arrested a total of 12 suspects connected with the crime. Also, six among the abducted children had been recovered by IRT.
Trouble started for the lovers after they stole two children at Tunga Maji and Gwagwa areas of Abuja. They sold each of the children to Nike at N300, 000.
However, the frantic father of the child stolen at Gwagwa area of Abuja, identified simply as Olobo, ran from pillar to post, searching for the child. He finally reported the case to the IGP, who referred the case to the IRT Unit, headed by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari for thorough investigation.
Olobo, while briefing the operatives everything he knew leading to his child disappearance, said: “Ebony and her husband, Onyekwere, rented an apartment in the compound where I reside with my family. They became close to my wife, who had a one-year-old baby. A week after living in the compound, Ebony, pretended to be assisting my wife. She carried my child, deceived my wife that she wanted to go and plait her hair. Before we knew what was happening, Ebony and her husband had absconded with our daughter.”
Kyari and his men launched investigation and started tracking the lovers. They were tracked to Asaba, in Delta State. It was through the lovers that IRT operatives arrested alleged buyers Onyinye Benjami, Ngozi Okoli,  Nwokocha Okoli, Ndiya Kalu and Esther Ihiediwa.
Ebony, from Enugu State, blamed her involvement in child abduction and trafficking on illiteracy. She said that her father married two wives, had too many children and couldn’t cater for his children, let alone to educate them.
She recalled: “I was married off to an old man at a very young age. The old man died two years into our marriage, after we’ve had two children. After his death, life became difficult for my children and I. I had to take my children to my mother in the village. I then left to Abuja to do prostitution. I spent seven years as a prostitute in Abuja. I later moved to Oba Town in Anambra State, after someone told me that I would make more money there as a prostitute. I relocated, but after a year in Anambra State, a girl, Ogula, from Benue State, told me that a nurse asked her to look for a man, that would impregnate her. She said that after she delivers, that the child would be taken from her and she would paid.”
Ebony kicked against the idea of getting pregnant; to later sell the baby after delivery. She said: “I told her that I couldn’t do such because I have two children. I was not ready to get pregnant again. She then asked me to follow her to her village. When we got there, Ogula stole a girl child, which she gave to me. While I was leaving with the child, I was arrested by some security men. I was taken to prison where I spent six months.  This was in 2017.”
In prison, Ebony Ada, who had finished serving her term. They exchanged phone numbers. After Ebony was released, she called Ada and they agreed to meet at the latter’s shop in Umuahia, Abia State, where she sells drinks. Ada gave Ebony job as a waitress in her shop.
One day when she was on duty, a man, Onwa, approached and asked her if she had contacts of people who would like to buy children between ages of one and three. 
Ebony noted: “I then informed Chibuzor, brother to Ada. He stole a child and gave it to Onwa, who disappeared with the child and didn’t pay. By that time, I was already dating Onyewkere. Onwa then contacted me three months later, asking for business. He promised to pay N500, 000 for any child between ages one and two. My boyfriend, Onyewkere, then went to his village and stole his sister’s two-year-old child. We contacted Onwa, but this time we followed him down to Enugu State where the child was sold to an old woman driving a Toyota Camry. She  paid us N250,000.”
Onwa, an expert on stealing and selling children, explained to the lovers that they shouldn’t make it a habit to be stealing from a particular state or community.
Ebony stated: “Onwa advised us to steal children sighted along roads. He said that if we are caught, we’re likely going to be burnt. He said that we should rent apartment in a community and when we see a child, we should steal him or her, and then abandon the apartment and community.”
Ebony said that it was based on Onwa’s advice that she and Onyekwere went to Akuke area of Enugu State to rent an apartment.
She said: “We succeeded in stealing two children who were between ages two and four. We stole them from a guy called Onyeka. He maltreated me while I worked as a prostitute in Abuja. Onyeka was a very rough guy.  when I knew  him in Abuja and  it was the police that chased him out of Abuja.  Unfortunately I ran into him in Enugu and he was happy and he  introduced me to his wife and we became friends.  I visit them regularly in their house and I became familiar with their children, Ada and Chinonso. I studied their terrine for three months and I discovered that the coast was clear, I made away with the children  and sold them to Onwa for 450,000 each.  Then Emmanuel and I relocated to Abuja and we rented an apartment at Tungamaji area of Abuja and we stole a woman’s child who is our neighbor. The woman left her child in my care while she went to the market and I and Emmanuel quickly parked our things and fled with the child who we then sold to one Chioma, who we met through Onwa, for the sum of N300,000.   We then rented another apartment at Gwagwa area of Abuja,  we  stayed for two weeks and I stole a one year old baby and sold the baby to Chioma for N300,000. We then left Abuja and ran to Ipoba Hill area of Edo State and rented an apartment. There we stole a child belonging to a woman who was sick and could not pay proper attention on her child. The child used to come to our own compound to play, so, I stole the child took her to Chioma who paid us the sum of N300,000.  We spent most of these monies on food, cloths and other frivolities. Before we were arrested, my boyfriend and I had decided to quit, so there was this woman known as Blessing who contacted us and requested for five children between the ages of one and two years old, I gave her a bill of N2million and she paid instantly. Since we have decided to quit, Emmanuel and I used the money to rent a two-bedroom flat, furnished it and we removed our sim cards and Blessing couldn’t reach us anymore.  My children are between  17 and 16 if they are stolen I will not be happy.” She narrated   
On his part, Emmauel Oyekweer 32,  a native of Isialagwu north  Abia State, said his quest to build a house for his mother got into the business; “ I am a tailor. I am not yet married and I didn’t go to school.  It was Ifeoma who I met where she was working as prostitute that lured me into this business of stealing and of little children. Things weren’t good for me and my family has no house in the village and she assured me that the business would fetch me money to build a house for my mother.  Then I went to my village and stole my sister’s son Victor and we sold him to an old woman who accosted us at Holy Ghost  Church in Enugu State.  I pretended like I was praying when we got to the church and I don’t anyone to notice what we were doing because the boy looks so much like me.  I was paid N250, 000.  People knew I was the last person seen with  the child  and they have been calling me to bring their child.  They have even threatened to kill me if I don’t bring back the child.  Onwa  then took me to native doctor  who prepared fake charms for me that will make my people and he took the N250,000, I was paid for the child.  I then recruited one of my friends known as Aboy, when we moved to Enugu State and he stole three children for, one from his village and two from Enugu and we sold the for N900,000.  I stole a total number of eight children and I am crying because I can’t go to my village and all the money, I made I can not to anything with it.  If not for this Ifeoma that got into this business, I wouldn’t  have been in this mess.”
 Narrating her own story, Chioma Nick,  46-year-old, divorcee, who said she lost her marriage of 22-year because she had no child with her estranged husband, and after she got pregnant from a man she met in Ghana, her husband rejected it and sent her parking.  She said she got a mail child from her Ghanaian and when her son grew up, he started asking for a sister, then she approached the child welfare office in Umuhaia so she could adopt a girl child.  She said she met a woman she identified as Mummy Ohabiam, who told her  that she would link her to a syndicate that could help her get children from a different source and all they needed to do was to perfect adoption papers from the welfare office;  “She told me the cost and I couldn’t afford it,  then I contacted one Mummy Idian Emeka, who had approached me earlier for  two children. After I got the link, I got two children from Ifeoma and  I sold them to mummy idian for N800, 000 and I got N200,000 as my share.  Ifeoma also sold four other children to me, which I sold to several people.  I have returned three and I am yet to get the last one.  I sold two of the four children to one to Mummy Onyiyechi, and they have been returned.  I sold one other  to Mummy Blessing and other one was to one  Monica.  Please have mercy on me.  I will not do it again. All my colleagues in this business have all ran away. Please have mercy on me.” She pleaded.   
While Blessing Nwankwo, a native of Beden area of Abia State, a nurse, who is a graduate of School of Heath Technology Aba; said “I have worked in several hospital and I have a maternity home and I have been trying to get approval and registration for my maternity home for a long time but I couldn’t get it.” “I went into buying and selling of babies through the  wife  of our Chatchist   and who do not have a child for a long time and she has been saving money for a child. I contacted Chioma, who brought a girl and the child that was one year old  and we paid her the sum of N550,000, but I took N800,000 from the cathticist’s his wife and I made N300,000 as my profit.  Later on, Chioam then brought Ifeoma to me and told me that Ifeoma own a home in Enugu State and if I see anyone who need a child for adoption I should contact her. I then contacted some of my relations and friends who were looking for children and they paid me the sum of  N2million for five children, with the promise that I will bring my relatives to Enugu to perfect adoption documents for the children after the payment has been done, but they disappeared when they got the money.  Their phone lines were switched off and I didn’t even know that Ifeoma had links with the first child that was sold to me. It was when I was arrested that I knew that the children were stolen.”
Idian Kalu, 52, who hails from  Abriba Abia State, I her confessions said; “ I have four child children I reside in Aba Town.  I have a friend my who is barren and she was looking for a child and I told her that I will help adopt a child at the welfare then I linked her to Chioma, and she started coming to my house, and she told me that three was a old woman that has a home where we can adopt children  I indicated my interest and she brought a child for me and I gave it to my sister who needed it and the sum of  N550,000 was paid for the, thought I took N650,000  and I made N100,000 profits, that was in the year  2016.  But in 2017, Chioma called again and said that two children all girls were available for adoption, I contacted people who had told me that the needed them and I took the girls and paid Chioma the sum of N550,000 each.” She lamented

No comments: