Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Release my husband’s corpse for burial, cries pregnant wife

…of mechanic allegedly tortured to death in police custody

Emmanuel Masha, Port Harcourt

The wife of the late Port Harcourt based mechanic, Chima Ikwunado, Mrs Adugo, has appealed to the Rivers State Police Command to produce her late husband, who was allegedly tortured to death, for a proper burial.


Adugo, who spoke at a world press conference, yesterday, in Port Harcourt, faulted the allegation by the police that her late husband died in detention as a result of high level of sugar. She insisted that her husband was tortured to death for an offence he didn't commit.

She said that before they got married last year, "we did HIV, sugar level and some other medical tests. My husband was never sick. Police is lying. I want them to give me my husband's corpse.”

Weeping loudly during the press briefing, a heavily pregnant Adugo said: “The police tortured my husband in their cell. Since December 10, 2019, I have not seen my husband. It was on January 5th that my father in-law called to tell me that my husband had been killed. I have no father, I don't have money and I don't know what to do with my unborn baby. I want the police to produce my husband's corpse so that I can bury him.”

Adugo also dismissed the allegation that her husband was a cultist as alleged by the Police.. 

She said: "I knew my husband two months before we married. He was not a bad person. He didn't have bad friends. He has never stayed late night since we got married.”

In a related development, a coalition of civil society organizations in Rivers State has called on the United States Embassy, European Union, United Arab Emirates to cancel any visa application by anybody found culpable in the murder of Chima.

The coalition also demanded that the same treatment for anybody that had a hand in the "unlawful" detention of four other mechanics still in police cell in the state.

The group urged Amnesty International and global rights groups to initiate actions in the international criminal court against any police officer involved in Chima's death.

The president of the Rivers Civil Society Organization in the state, Comrade Enefaa Georgewill, who spoke at the conference, called on the National Assembly not to allow Chima's death to be swept under the carpet.

He noted that there were too many torture chambers used to forcibly extract information from suspects in the state.

The coalition also called on the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, "to step into the matter and direct the attorney general of the state to cause those boys in detention to be freed and the Commissioner for Health made to ensure they are given the best treatment money can provide. The governor should also direct the attorney general to call for an inquest into the circumstances that led to the dead of Chima.”

No comments: