Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I have a spiritual father in Nigeria – Kenyan drug courier

Noah

Noah's bag before agents search

A 32-year-old Kenyan lady has been arrested with 2.560kg of substance which tested positive for heroin. The suspect, identified as Imeloah Awino Noah, was arrested by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos. Noah told anti-narcotic agents that she loved coming to Nigeria to receive “blessing” from her spiritual father.


The spiritual father (names withheld), is a popular but controversial cleric. The suspect also claimed that her Nigerian girlfriend compelled her to become a drug courier. Noah, who left Bujumbura, Burundi under the pretext of going on pilgrimage to Nigeria, hid the drug inside the soles of two pairs of female sandals and in a false bottom of her luggage.
She said: “My best friend masterminded my involvement in drug trafficking. I am a diploma holder in Community Health and Development at the African Institute of Development Studies in Western Kenyan town of Kisumu, Nyanza Province.
“After my one year volunteer service, I have been searching for employment. My best friend introduced me to her Nigerian boyfriend who offered to assist me by sponsoring my trip to Nigeria. Initially I was reluctant but my friend persuaded me. They bought my ticket and gave me the bag containing clothes where the heroin was hidden. On arrival at the Lagos airport, the drug was detected.”
The Head, Public Affairs of the NDLEA, Mr Mitchell Ofoyeju, who confirmed the arrest, explained that the seizure took place during inward screening of passengers on an Ethiopian Airline flight from Addis Ababa. According to him, preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect planned to smuggle the drugs into the country under the pretext of pilgrimage.
He said: “This is her third visit to Nigeria in two years. It was also gathered that she left Nairobi, Kenya to Bujumbura where she collected the luggage containing the drugs before proceeding to Nigeria through Addis Ababa.” Ofoyeju said the suspect would soon be arraigned.
The NDLEA Airport Commander, Mr Hamza Umar, said that Noah was already cooperating with the agency’s investigating team. Meanwhile, the Chairman/ Chief Executive of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, has called on the public not to be ignorant of the devices of drug trafficking syndicates. He said: “Drug barons sometimes present themselves as philanthropists.
They will offer you free tickets and make all travel arrangements but the ultimate objective is to get you to smuggle their drugs from one point to another. “Members of the public should be on the alert and report suspected drug barons to the agency.”

No comments: