Thursday, March 27, 2014

I needed to raise money for my family – Drug pusher

I needed to raise money for my family – Drug pusherA suspect arrested by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said he pushed drug because of the need to cater for his wife and kid.
The 39-year-old Udoji Chike, who disguised packs of diazepam injections as Alabukun powder, was arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos. Chike told the anti-narcotic agents that he decided to carry the packs of banned substance because he wanted to raise money to send to his wife and child in Liberia.

The suspect, an electronic merchant, attempted to smuggle the 8kg of diazepam injections on-board an Arik flight to Liberia. The drug was detected at the luggage screening desk at the Departure Hall of the airport. Chike also explained how he came about the drug.
He said: “I am a graduate of Business Administration from the University of Monrovia. I sell electrical electronics in Liberia where I live with my family since 1997. I came to spend the Christmas period last December with my family in Ihiala, Anambra State. Unfortunately, my father died on January 8, 2014.
“Since then I could not go back to Liberia and I am worried about how my wife and child are coping financially. I agreed to send the drug so that the money they will pay me can be given to my wife in Liberia.”
NDLEA Airport Commander, Mr. Hamza Umar, said that the suspect court of competent jurisdiction. He said: “Officers discovered 8kg of diazepam injections in a luggage brought by one Udoji Chike. The luggage was meant for export to Liberia.
He has accepted ownership of the drug and he will be charged to court soon after investigation.” Commenting on the arrest, the NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, said drug trafficking was bad. He said: “The consequences are condemnable. It affects individuals and the society at large.
“Members of the public should shun drug trafficking. The money offered by drug barons cannot wipe away the shame of being an ex-convict. Let us therefore support the anti-drug campaign."

No comments: