Sunday, January 15, 2017

Suspected cultists: Our group defends people’s rights



Seven men, arrested for cultism, have justified their group, stressing that the group stands for justice, equality and defense of people’s rights.

The suspects, Michael Jenika 32, Isaac Oladipupo 28, Emeka Igwumadu 22, Kunle Kofoworola 28, John James 27, Lawson Ernest 27 and Richard Imuede 29, were arrested by detectives attached to the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Command, at Ejigbo area of the metropolis.
While the suspects described their group as Black Africa Movement, police said the suspects are Black Axe members. Police are charging them for robbery.
According to the police, one of the suspects, Oladipupo, robbed a business woman at Ejigbo. The police alleged that when he was arrested and searched, a live cartridge was found inside his pocket.
Oladipupo, who denied being a robber, said: “In November, I went to my friend’s house; some guys in the street threatened to fight him. I wanted to assist him by confronting them. That was why I took the cartridge along. I wanted to make use of his gun. I belonged to Black Africa Movement, also known as Black Axe. I joined the group when I was in Lagos State Polytechnic, in 2011. Since I was initiated into the cult group, I have not killed and neither have I engaged in robbery. It was frustration that pushed me led me to join the group.”
The arrest of Oladipupo, led to arrest of others.
Kofoworola said: “Oladipupo, who brought policemen to my house, was arrested for being in possession of a gun. In our group, we’re not cultists! Our group defends people’s rights. The group has been in existence even before some of us were born. The arms in our possession are to defend ourselves. There’s no human being on this earth that does not have enemy. We use the arms to protect each members of the group during danger period. In our constitution, we’re against violence. Had it been Oladipupo was not arrested by the police, we would have disciplined him because he had contravened the laws of the group.”
 Kofoworola further said: “In our oath, we sworn never to steal, rape or rob. Our basic principle in the group is equality and social justice for all. It’s just like Blackman’s Movement in Africa.”
Imuede, who is the leader of the group, said he joined four years ago out of stupidity.
His words: “I joined the group out of stupidity. I didn’t know what I was doing then. There’s nothing I have benefited from the cult; only wearing a garment of shame. It was just one person that brought me into this mess, Oladipupo. Some of my colleagues and I were in my apartment when we heard that one of us had been arrested. We heard he was caught with bullets. He mentioned our names.”
Narrating his own story, Igwumadu said that the only weapon found in his room, was a machete.
He said: “Truly, I belonged to the cult group, but I also work as a security guard in my community. The machete recovered from my room is meant for my protection at night. I was sleeping when policemen came to my house at Ejigbo to arrest me. I’m not an armed robber. One of our colleagues went to assist someone to fight; his action negates our commandment in the group.”
Ernest, a dropout, said that before he joined the group, he made several findings about it online.
Ernest said: “I have heard so much about the cult group, but I decided to go on the internet to search for details about it. It was there I discovered the group doesn’t fight, rape and steal. They only fight for those oppressed.”

No comments: