Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Kano NDLEA arrests husband, wife with 75 bags of cannabis sativa •NDLEA uncovers new drug trafficking strategies



THE Kano State command of National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, (NDLEA) has arrested a husband and wife for  being in possession of over 75 bags of dry leaves, suspected to be cannabis sativa.
Disclosing this on Monday, in Kano, the state commander of the narcotic agency, Alhaji Garba Ahmadu, said the woman  Hajiya Fatima Jimoh, 40 and her husband, Folorunso Jimoh, were arrested with  the exhibits weighing about 757.5 kilogrammes  at two warehouses owned by the suspect, located at the different parts of Kano metropolis.
According to him, Hajiya Fatima was nabbed at their residence in Dandishe, Dala Local Government Area of the ancient commercial city.
His words: “She was arrested alongside her husband, Folorunso, who denied knowledge of his wife’s illegal business, saying, “I do not know she is into this kind of business. I am not aware of her involvement in drug trafficking. I just came back from a journey before I was arrested by NDLEA officials.”
 However, Fatima, who confessed to have been dealing in cannabis sativa for long, corroborated her husband’s claims saying, “Honestly, my husband is not aware of this business. He is not into it with me. I do not bring it to the house and he has not in anyway gotten involved in it.”
The state NDLE’s boss added  who warned drug peddlers, traffickers and abusers to pack out of Kano saying  the suspect.
Meanwhile, The Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Ahmadu Giade,  has said that the Agency has uncovered new strategies employed drug traffickers in evading arrest.
This followed the arrest of two suspected drug couriers, who tested positive for drug ingestion, at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA)  Lagos.
A press statement obtained by the Nigerian Tribune, on Sunday, from the Spokesman of the agency, Mr Mitchel Ofoyeju, said one of the suspects was found to have allegedly ingested narcotics while on transit at an airport in Brazil, while the second suspect was caught en route Cameroon where he was to connect another flight to Frankfurt.
 Giade, however, attributed the arrests to effective proactive measures by the NDLE, saying, “drug traffickers are full of surprises but we are prepared to counter their plans. One of the suspects ingested the drug at the toilet while on transit at the airport in Brazil and the second suspect who was going to Germany decided to first book his flight to Cameroon just to divert attention of officers. These are strategies of evading arrest but we are poised to nip their tricks in the bud,” the NDLEA boss assured.
Also, NDLEA commander at the Lagos Airport, Mr Hamza Umar gave the names of the suspects as Dickson Daniel Chinedu, 34 years old and Okeke Joseph Chukwunwike, 30 years old.
According to Hamza, “Dickson arrived on a KLM flight on his way from Trinidad and Tobago and tested positive to drug ingestion. He concealed 980 grammes of cocaine while Okeke ingested 1.170kg of cocaine and 335 grammes of heroin, and was to board a Cameroon airline flight to Cameroon. The total weight of the drugs found in their possession is 2.485kg”.
Dickson and Okeke hail from Abia and Anambra States, respectively.
Meanwhile, the release quoted Dickson Daniel Chinedu claiming  to have secured admission at Trinidad and Tobago.
 In his words, “I had just been given admission at the University of Southern Caribbean. I have been working in Trinidad for the past five months. My savings was not enough for my studies and I called a friend in Brazil to help me with 2,000 dollars. He said that he wanted me to transit Brazil on my way to Lagos that he will give me 3,800 dollars. In fact, he made all my travel arrangement. When I got to Brazil while on transit, he gave me the drugs and assured me that everything will be fine. I agreed to smuggle the drugs because of my education. I could not swallow everything so he left with the remaining wraps”.

No comments: