Thursday, June 18, 2015

‘Why I abandoned tiles business for cocaine trafficking in Brazil’



One of the ways for a businessman in Nigeria to grow and expand his enterprise is usually to travel overseas. Many of them usually come back with good fortune, but a good number has sorry tales to tell.

Mr. Udemezue Chukwuma Cosmos, 36, is now among the teeming thousands, if not millions of Nigerians, who left the shores of the country, to increase their fortune, but came back empty handed.
Indeed, he is likely going to spend the next few years in prison depending on the court.
According to him, he left Nigeria with 60,000 dollars, equivalent of N11 million in his pocket, but now had nothing to show for it, except for the wraps of cocaine he had been excreting since his arrest by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

Cosmos, who was said to have had tears running down his cheeks, cursed his best friend, alleging that the man was the genesis of his troubles. He alleged that his friend duped him of the N11 million at Brazil.
His words: “I’m a businessman. I sell tiles. My friend in Brazil invited me to Brazil to buy tiles at a cheaper price. I left Nigeria with my hard earned 60,000 dollars. My friend took me to a company where I deposited money for tiles. My friend went behind me and requested for a refund of the money that we have changed our minds on the purchase. That was how he duped me of my life savings and capital. I reported the incident to the police but by then the man had fled Brazil. That was how my problem started.”

The suspect was arrested at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos for importing 665grammes of cocaine into the country. The arrest occurred during routine screening of passengers on an Etihad flight.
Cosmos further said that he became stranded in Brazil and resorted to drug trafficking as a last resort.
 “It was circumstances that forced me into drug trafficking. I feel bad because I left Nigeria with my 60,000 dollars but circumstance forced me to smuggle cocaine for 5,000 dollars. I have prayed to God for forgiveness,” said Chukwuma.
According to the NDLEA airport commander, Mr. Hamza Umar, Cosmos, from investigation gathered ingested the drugs in Brazil and was to deliver same in Bangladesh but was denied entry and deported to Nigeria. He later excreted 31 wraps of cocaine weighing 665 grammes.
Chairman of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade has promised to investigate the case and take appropriate action.
Giade said: “There is no justification for drug trafficking. The case is already under investigation and appropriate action shall be taken.”

No comments: