Monday, November 26, 2018

Ex-convict burgles church, arrested just days after leaving prison


Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

Mr. Ademola Adekunle is presently gnashing his teeth in regret as his mind flashed back to the event leading to his detention in the custody of the Inspector-General of Police’s Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT).


As he fielded questions from the New Telegraph correspondent, Adekunle, 28, who had a sinking look on his face, repeatedly sighed heavily. He didn’t need to be a clairvoyant to know that he was likely returning to prison to join inmates, whom he had bade goodbye to just days ago.

Adekunle two months ago was arrested and placed on remand in prison after a company, where he works as truck driver, discovered that he had diverted and short supplied the fuel given to him.

After spending two months in prison, he was granted bail. But rather than go home and sin no more, Adekunle called friends, told them that he was out of prison and needed a bus to start commercial driving. 

While asking them for a bus, he knew he was actually asking them for one they could steal. He and his friends hatched a plan, burgled a church and stole a bus, at Ilesha, Osun State. The gang would have got away with the crime, but mother luck was simply against them.

While desperately looking for a buyer, the gang approached a police detective, working undercover and tried to sell the bus to him.

Needless to say, they are receiving the best of treatment in police detention facility in Abuja. Those arrested along with him are Bolaji Azeez (32) and Saheed Olaniyan (32).

According to Adekunle, the stolen bus would have given him a fresh start after prison, if not that he was arrested.

Trouble for the gang members started after Adekunle, a professional driver, called his friend Azeez, saying that he needed a bus for commercial purposes. After receiving the unexpected call from Adekunle, Azeez wracked his brains and decided to contact Olaniyan.

Olaniyan, who picked out the bus, happened to be the mechanic that the church usually hires to fix its faulty vehicles. Thus he knew the easiest ways to penetrate the church.

After successfully entering the church and stealing the bus, they started shopping for a buyer. Unfortunately, the buyer turned out to be an undercover operative of the IRT.

Adekunle said: “Before I went to prison, I already know Azeez, he is a mechanic. I got to know him when he used to fix my former director’s car. We became friends. After leaving prison, I went to him and explained my situation about needing a bus. I pleaded with him to assist me.”

Adekunle further said: “I told him that I needed a commercial bus, preferably, a Hummer Bus. Three days later, he called me that he had made contact with someone in Ilesha. The person was Olaniyan Saheed. He said we should go to Ilesha to check out the bus, so that we would know the next step to take. When Bolaji and I got to Ilesha, Olaniyan told us that the bus around where he stays, but that we would have to steal it. Olaniyan said that he was the person that used to work on the bus. After viewing the bus, which was parked in the church premises, we all agreed, went in and stole it. I promised to give each N400, 000 after I sold it. But I never got the chance.”


According to Azeez, he called Olaniyan, to tell him that his friend, Adekunle needed a Hummer Bus for commercial purpose. Initially, Olaniyan said that he didn’t where he could get a bus, but three days, he later called Azeez.

Azeez said: “He called and asked me to rush down, that he had found a bus. I quickly alerted Adekunle. I told him that a bus had been found at Ilesha. When we got to Ilesha, Olaniyan took us to where the bus was parked. We entered the church at night by shattering the glasses at the backdoor. We then rolled out the bus.”

Asked how they were rounded up, he replied: "It was when I was looking for a buyer. I called one of my colleagues, who is a mechanic like me to tell him that I needed a buyer for a Hummer Bus. He sent Inspector Christopher’s number to me. I started calling Mr. Christopher to tell him that the bus was in good condition. He agreed to buy the bus, but I didn't know he was a police officer. Christopher said we should meet at Shoprite in Ikeja, which was where he arrested me.”

While corroborating Azeez’s story, Olaniyan said: "I'm a panel beater. Azeez called me that Adekunle needed a Hummer Bus. I took them to see the bus."


No comments: