Friday, October 31, 2014

Why I joined in snatching 15 cars, says African Nations Cup player

A professional footballer, who played in 2002 African Nations’ Cup is one of the five persons paraded yesterday for robbery and snatching of over 15 exotic cars.
The footballer, Moses Andrel, a Liberian said he never meant to join robbery but was forced by circumstances beyond his control.
His modus operandi is to get employment as a driver, and later disappear with his boss’s car. According to him, he had disappeared with about four cars belonging to different people he worked as driver for.
He said he came to Lagos State to search for a club to join and continue playing ball, but discovered that it was no so easy.
Operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command led by SP. Abba Kyarri have recovered the 15 cars

According to the police, on October, 20, 2014, in a follow up to car snatching cases under investigation, five suspects identified as; Mahmud Abdulakeem, 48, Musa Yusuf, 27, Abayomi Okanlawon Adebayo,53, Israel Nana, 30 and Moses Andrei, 25 were arrested and the cars recovered.The cars were recovered in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Benin and Abuja.The list of the cars are; Toyota Camry, registration MUS861CA, Mitsubishi Outlander KTU615AV, Toyota Camry, BQ652AKD, Toyota Camry MUS353CV, Toyota Camry, BDG370CP, Toyota CamryAAA487CA, Nissan Pathfinder Jeep, AGB 839RK, Nissan Murano Jeep KRK449CL, Honda Accord KMM115AA, Honda Accord LSD394BG, Toyota Corolla KUJ132HZ, Mitsubishi Outlander KJA745BH, Toyota Camry UW879KJA, Toyota Avensis ABJ 89BK, Toyota Sienna FJ611LSR.SARS operatives also recovered tools used for changing Chassis and engine numbers and samples of fabricated Chassis numbers were also recovered.The police said that the gang specialize in snatching vehicles in Lagos and others states, after which they’ll sell them off.
Andrel revealed that he was among the 23 players from Liberian who featured in the all African Nations Cup jointly hosted by Nigeria and Ghana in 2002.
He said: “I left Liberia in 2003 during the civil war and came to Nigeria as a refuge at the Oru camp in Ijebu Ode. I didn’t like the kind of life we were living at the camp. I decided to come to Lagos with the assistant of the camp officials to see if I could play with any local football club in Lagos.
“When I got to Lagos, I could not secure a contract with any football club. But I didn’t want to go back to the camp. That was how I became a driver.”
According to the suspect, he later met Israel Nana, a Ghanaian and they became bosom friends.
On a fateful journey to Port Harcourt with his boss, Andrel ran into Nana again, who soon introduced him into robbery and car snatching.
 Andrel said: “When I came back from Port Harcourt, the first car I made away with was my boss’s car at his Ogudu residence. I ran away with the car after I was sent on errand. I drove the car to a designated venue, where Israel met me and picked the car.”
Andrel further said that his first move, others became easier. “I’ve also made away with about four cars from my working places.”
He said he was arrested when he went to the bank to collect his share of the proceeds from some of the cars they had sold.
Another of the gang member, Yusuf, a car dealer in Abuja was alleged to be part of those who used to collect the stolen cars and sell them off for the gang. He however denied knowing the cars were snatched.
“I never knew the cars were stolen!” cried Yusuf, adding, “The boys were introduced to me by Muhmud Abdulakeem, whose elder brother was my boss before he died last year.
Stating how own side of the story, Nana said he joined the gang because his wife was heavy pregnant and they needed money to prepare for the arrival of the baby.
He after brain storming, he decided to come down to Nigeria, in search of greener pastures.
His words: “I was desperately in need of money to meet my needs. I wanted to take care of pregnant wife. I convinced Andrel to start bringing cars, while I would sell them.”
Adebayo was arrested for always assisting the suspects in changing chassis numbers of any snatched vehicles. 
 Mr. Ashafa Dipo, one of the victims, whose Toyota Camry car marked MUS 861CA was snatched, was at the command yesterday to take possession of his car.

No comments: