Sunday, June 19, 2016

He sexually abused me, gave me N1,000, says seven-year-old victim

“He closed the door. He knelt down. I was standing. He put his fingers into me. I screamed. He used his hands to cover my mouth. He gave me money. He gave me two N500 notes and told me not to tell my mummy.”

These were the distressing words of seven-year-old Dupe. The little girl said she was sexually violated by her mother’s customer, Moruf Mohammed. The girl’s mum, Kubura, said she found her daughter bleeding.
The alleged suspect, Mohammed, is said to be in his 40s. He allegedly defiled the little girl when her mother went to the market. When Mohammed was arrested by detectives attached to the Lagos State Police Command, he denied ever touching Dupe. According to him, he is Dupe’s mother’s lover. He said the woman framed him because he refused to give her some money she requested for.
Dupe explained that she was sexually violated around 1pm, after she returned from school. The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, presented Mohammed and another suspected rapist, Kingsley Okeke, 27, to journalists.
Owoseni said: “Okeke, who lives at No. 26, Aroloya Street, Lagos Island, was arrested for defiling a 10-year-old girl on May 23, 2016. Similarly, Mohammed, residing at Philip Street, Ibeshe Ikorodu, allegedly defiled a seven- year-old girl at Ayanbandejo Street, Ikorodu.
The victims are traumatised and are being medically attended to at Mirabel Medical Centre, Ikeja.” Dupe’s mum, Kubura, debunked Mohammed’s claim that they were lovers.
According to her, Mohammed was a customer who used to come to her shop to buy herbs. She insisted that Mohammed had visited her shop only twice. The second time was when he defiled her daughter. Kubura said: “I went out, leaving Dupe with her older siblings.
The oldest among them was 20 years. I returned home around 2pm and found Dupe was sleeping. I asked her what was wrong with her. She said she wasn’t feeling well. She said a man gave her money.
She said the man asked her where her mother was, she told him that her mum wasn’t around. “He then took her to a back door. She said he put his fingers into her and later his manhood. He told her not to tell anyone. When I found her in bed, she was bleeding. I initially thought it happened at school. I went to school, but they said it wasn’t at school.”
Asked if she knew Mohammed and if they were lovers, Kubura said: “Yes, I know him. I used to prepare herbal medicine for him. But I’m not his lover. I didn’t ask him for any money.” Mohammed however insisted that he didn’t do anything to Dupe; he said he only gave her money because he felt like it. Kubura said that despite Dupe’s explanation of what transpired between her and a stranger, they didn’t know who raped the girl until Mohammed came. When Mohammed came to collect his herbal medicine, Dupe saw him and became frightened. “When he came, Dupe saw him and ran away.
She said that was the man,” recounted Kubura. “I reported him to the police. Police brought him to the scene of the crime and he started telling people that I was his lover; that Dupe was his daughter.
He claimed to know all my children.” Just like Mohammed, Okeke, a chemist, also denied defiling a 10-year-old girl. Okeke said he had never set his eyes on the little girl until the fateful day of the alleged incident. He insisted that he never touched the girl in anyway.
Recollecting the event of that day, Okeke said: “I went out to get something leaving the door to my shop open. When I came back, I saw a tattered little girl in my shop. She was attempting to steal something. I rushed inside to interrogate her. I asked her gently what she wanted because she was a little girl.”
According to him, she replied that she wanted to buy confectionaries. Okeke then told her to leave his shop because he doesn’t sell such items. He said: “As she was about to leave, my instinct told me to search her thoroughly. As I searched her, I found N4, 000 and N20 notes.”
Okeke, who became furious, asked her how she got such an amount of money, but she didn’t reply. He collected the money, saying that the N4000 was his income for Sunday and Monday.
He added: “I wanted to beat her, but she started begging me. Even though I was still angry, I left her alone considering she was just a child.” He said he was shocked to see policemen at his shop the following day.
He was further stunned when they told him that he was being arrested for defiling a 10-year-old girl. When Okeke got to the police station, he saw a woman who claimed that the girl was her daughter.
The little girl had apparently told her mother that Okeke sexually violated her. Okeke said if he had known the event would turn out this way, he would have raised the alarm when he found the girl stealing in his shop.https://newtelegraphonline.com/sexually-abused-gave-n1000-says-seven-year-old-victim/

No comments: