Sunday, March 25, 2018

‘I got just N20, 000 for abduction of WAEC staff’

 One of the suspects, who partook in the abduction of two workers of the West African Examination Council (WAEC), Mohammed Kote told policemen that he got just N20, 000 as his share of the ransom.


Kote 25, is among 29 suspects paraded by the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abiodun Odude, for sundry offences ranging from kidnapping, armed robbery, stealing, cultism and receiving of stolen goods.

The suspects were paraded at Eleyele Police Headquarters, Ibadan. According to Odude, Kote’s gang has allegedly confessed to kidnapping some people in Oke-Ogun area of the state.

Members of Kote’s gang have been identified as Mohammed Legi (26) and Kire Babuga (20).

Kote said: "I came to Ibadan a month ago and was arrested for robbery and kidnapping. I was involved in a kidnapping act with my boss at Igbeti area of Oke Ogun, Oyo State. We kidnapped only one person and I was given N20, 000.  My other colleague also got N20, 000. I joined the kidnapping gang because I couldn’t secure a job when I got to Oyo State from Zamfara State. Yes, I was told the nature of the job. I was told the gang was into kidnapping and robbery. I only took part in the last kidnapping operation before I was arrested.”

Stating his own side of the story, Babuga, said: "I only partook in one kidnapping operation. It’s true; I introduced Kote into kidnapping gang.”

Odude had earlier disclosed that the suspects were among those who kidnapped two staff of WAEC on March 14, 2018, around 5.30 p.m. along Igboho/Igbeti Road on their way from Saki while on official assignment.

The CP said: "Upon kidnapping the WAEC staff, the suspects kept their victims in a seemingly impregnable fortress at the old Oyo National Park for some days. They were freed after collecting huge ransom from their distraught and helpless family. The suspects were arrested in their criminal hideout along Kishi/Igboho, inside the Old Oyo National Park, Igbeti by the Command's Special Anti-Robbery Squad in collaboration with the local vigilante between March 7 and 17, 2018. The suspects confessed to the various heinous crimes perpetrated in the area.”

It will be recalled that following recent kidnap of about eight persons on a bus along the route, the police swung into action and arrested the suspects.

No comments: