Sunday, March 25, 2018

My children school fees gone with microfinance bank –Father

…as bank remains lock, workers, manager disappear


Dike
A father of four, Mr. Obinna Dike, broke down and wept as he recounted how a microfinance bank disappeared with his money.
Dike said he opened that account with the bank just to save money for his children school fees. Today, all the money is gone and the bank staff nowhere to be seen.

Speaking in an emotion-filled voice, Dike said: “It breaks my heart seeing my children staying at home because of school fees. I thought saving the money with the microfinance bank was the best option to ensure the money was not touched or spent, but now everything is gone. My kids are all at home.”
The businessman, who deals on vehicle spare parts, said that he was ashamed that his wonderful   kids couldn’t go to school as his money was trapped in Aguda Titun Microfinance Bank Limited, Olodi Apapa branch, Lagos State.
According to him, as if the situation was not bad enough, the bank is now allegedly accusing him of destroying one of their computers, which, they said, was equivalent to his money that is with them.
Dike said: “It was one of my customers that introduced the microfinance bank to me last year. The customer said it was a very good bank. I opened the account with N2,000 last November and since then; I have been saving N2,000 every day for my children school fees. I thought it would be easy for me to pay their school fees ones they resumed. But things didn’t go as planned.
“When it was time to pay school fees, I went to the bank and discovered there was a problem. I couldn’t get my money. I went to the bank and they told me that there was no money. I had been able to save up to N150,000 and my kids’ school fees are N180,000.
“I want to the bank to get my N150,000, and to get money somewhere and balanced it for the children’s school fees.  Four of my children are now at home, after being driven away from school for not paying their fees. The school has been patient enough with me. I kept promising them, hoping that I would get the money from the bank. I cannot pay the school fees; the bank keeps dribbling other customers and I. They would tell us, come today, and come tomorrow, as if we didn’t have anything doing than going there every day.”

Dike noted that sick and tired of going to the bank every day, and after several efforts to get the management of the bank, he and other customers reported to Trinity Police Station, Olodi Apapa.
He said: “I was very annoyed with the attitude of the bank staff and management. They were not coming to the bank and when they do, they would close their office’s door. They didn’t want anyone to know they were indoors. Customers would be waiting for them. I sincerely believe they are hiding from us. They owe us an explanation. We need to know what happened to our money.
“Even the police that we alerted have not helped the matter. We thought by now, we would have been able get our money from the bank. Although the police arrested some of the staff and my account officer, but nothing fruitful has been achieved. My account officer and others were bailed the following day. Police told me that the bank has written an undertaken on how it would refund our money.
“On the first appointment, they gave us a date to come and get our money. I went there and they gave me N40,000, to balance N110,000. They said that I should come for the balance, and I went on the agreed date. They told me that the management had written another undertaken on how my money would be balanced, which was March 10. I still went there on that date, but still nothing happened.
“One day, I went to check on the bank and I noticed that the office door was opened. I quickly called the police; a policewoman was sent. One of the bank staff we met that day resisted arrest, forcing the policewoman to return to the police station for a backup. I advised the bank worker to follow the policewoman, but he refused and called his boss. He told the boss that I had destroyed their computer. I thought he was joking with me. Later, when we got to the police station and within sometimes, another worker with the bank brought a computer in a tricycle. They claimed that I smashed the computer on the ground. But God alone knows that I didn’t touch anything in that office.”
Dike appealed to regulatory bodies in charge of microfinance banks to come to their aid and assist them to get their money.
Another bank customer, Mrs. Franca Ikeh, said that she had been banking with the microfinance bank for three years now and was surprised over what was happening now.
She said: “I started suspecting that something was wrong last year. I told my family members that I was coming to the village in December. I went to the bank to withdraw some money, but the bank asked me to go and come back. They insisted they didn’t have enough cash on ground. They asked me to wait so that some customers would lodge in money. I started going to the bank again this year for my money. They keep asking to come today and come tomorrow, but didn’t give us any money. I learnt they took one of the customers to the police station for tampering with their property, which is a lie! They are only looking for ways not to pay the man his money.”
Ikeh added that she desperately needed her money, because she needed to buy some goods.
On March 19, our correspondent visited the bank and discovered that there was nobody in the office. Our correspondent also made several attempts to get the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the bank via his phone number, but the line, 08023408042, didn’t go through. The phone number of Dike’s account officer, Mr Denise, 08096938192 also didn’t go through.  
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Chike Oti, said that police were already on the matter.
He added: “The bank’s workers who go out to collect money from people, included traders on daily bases, failed to remit the deposit to their office. Police have made arrests. The police are interacting with the suspects. I can tell you that the suspects are also assisting police with the investigations.”

-------------------------
Police uncover workshop where stolen cars are refurbished
Taiwo Jimoh

Police in Lagos have discovered a mechanic workshop, located at Ipakodo Ikorodu, where stolen cars are refurbished before being sold off.
Police said that after refurbishing the cars, they would be moved to other parts of the country where to be sold.
The owner of the workshop, Opeyemi Ogundokun, 24, has been arrested and is currently detained at the command’s headquarters.
The other suspects arrested in connection with the case are Abdulwaheed Abdulkareem (28), Nurudeen Abdulrahman (38), Shehu Shittu (42) and Muslim Abdulwahab (40). They were all arrested at Rigassa village, Kaduna State.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Edgal Imohimi, said the suspects were arrested sequel to a complaint, which the command received from Mr Saheed Aminu on November 19.
Imohimi noted that the complainant alleged that his green coloured Toyota Camry car, marked ER 468 KRD, was stolen in front of his rented apartment at Ikorodu, where it was parked.
He said: “It was based on the complaint that detectives from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ipakodo, were mobilised to go after the car thieves. Intelligence reports revealed that the vehicle was parked at the workshop of Opeyemi Ogundokun, an auto mechanic. When Opeyemi was arrested and interrogated, he made some startling revelations. These revelations led detectives to a town called Rigassa in Kaduna State. At Rigassa, two suspects were arrested.”
Imohimi explained that the syndicate’s job was to steal cars from where they were parked or snatched at gunpoint from their owners. After that, the cars would be refurbished at Opeyemi's workshop before being moved to northern parts of the country, where they would be sold.
He added: “Investigation led to the arrest of Shehu Shittu (42), Nurideen Abdulrahman (38) and Musiliu Abdulwahab (40), who were identified as receivers of all cars stolen by the gang from Lagos. As fate would have it, the Toyota Camry car, marked ER 468 KRD, earlier stolen at Ikorodu, was seen and identified by the complainant. The car has been handed over to the complainant.”
Items recovered from the suspects are 118 rounds of AK47 ammunition, one English pistol, military camouflage, one hand grenade, one Nissan Versa car marked KRD 538 AZ, one Toyota Rav4 car marked EKY 720 BS, Toyota Camry car, marked EC 192 KRD, Honda CRV SUV, with registration number EKY 17 AR.
The police also recovered various number plates such as MUS 312 BK, AL 511 KJA, LND 67 BB, CT 754 FST, EQ 963 EKY, AG 87 YEE, MNY 310 XA and KRD 770 BT.
Imohimi said that the suspects had confessed that they were based in Kaduna State, but only come into Lagos State to snatch cars.
Abudlwaheed said: “I’m a car dealer in Kaduna State. It was Shittu, who brought the two cars to my shop to sell for him. When he brought the vehicles, I asked him where he got them, he lied to me. He said that he bought them in Lagos. It was because he showed me original documents of the cars that I didn’t suspect him. It was when we were arrested by the police that I got to know I had been dealing with an armed robber. I got to know him through an electrician. That was why I allowed him to display his car in my shop."
Abdulrahman said: “It was Lookman, who is at large, that sold his Camry car to me for N500,000. I was arrested after police tracked my phone. It was another Camry car, which I bought from the same Lookman that got me into problem. I was later arrested at my house in Kaduna State.”
Another suspect, Abdulwahab, confessed to have introduced Lookman to his brother, Nurudeen. Nurudeen would later buy a Camry car from Lookman.
Abdulwahab noted: “I was the one who linked the buyer to the seller. I was in my house one day when policemen came to arrest me. They said that I was part of a syndicate that used to buy and sell stolen vehicles.”
Shittu, who was displaying his vehicles at Abdulwaheed’s shop, also claimed to have bought them from Lookman.
Shittu said: "I’m not the owner of the recovered number plates.  Lookman told me the number plates were given to him by his uncle, whom he claimed bought the cars from Cotonou. It was after I was arrested that I knew that the vehicles were stolen ones. And as for the pistol and camouflage, they were for a soldier that was living with me.”
------------------------------
Police anxious as suspect escapes in handcuffs
Taiwo Jimoh

Detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Command, have arrested three suspected armed robbers cum cultists at the Ajah area of the state.
The suspects, Mejulu Raymond (44), Yakubu Taiwo (29) and Azeez Ayemojuba (19), were arrested at Flour Garden Ghetto, on Epe Expressway.
But the suspected leader of the gang allegedly escaped in handcuffs.
According to the police, the area allegedly serves as their hideout and venue of meeting before embarking on any operation.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Edgal Imohimi, said that the suspects were arrested on information.
The commissioner disclosed that immediately he received the information; he drafted some men, led by the officer in charge of SARS, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Mr. Ahmed Muhammed, to go after the suspects.
He added: “During a search conducted on the hideout, some of the following items were recovered; one Berretta pistol, one locally-made revolver pistol, one double-barrelled cut-to-size pistol, and three live cartridges. Others items recovered are two 9mm live ammunition, one expended ammunition, one axe, three bottles of Emzolyn with codeine, four bundles of weeds suspected to be Indian hemp and charms.
“The suspects confessed to being members of Aiye confraternity group and armed robbers that had been terrorising residents of Ajah and its environs. We’re also after one of their leaders, Bashorun Abass, who took to his heels on sighting SARS operatives.”
Raymond, whom the police alleged is the gang’s second in command, denied being an armed robber or a cultist. 
He said: “We were sleeping when the policemen came to raid us. I’m not an armed robber as alleged by the police. I run a cafeteria in the ghetto. The police also alleged that somebody was using those of us sleeping in the ghetto as land grabbers. I didn’t do all they accused me of doing. When they took me to Ajuwe Police Station, it was at the station I got to know that guns, axes and the ammunition actually belonged to a particular suspect. The suspect escaped after he was arrested. He escaped with his hands on handcuffs.
“I have not handled a gun in my life. I know some of the boys in the ghetto because they used to come to my cafeteria to eat.”
Taiwo, who admitted selling Indian hemp in the ghetto, also denied being in possession of guns.
He said: “When policemen from Ajuwe Police Station came to raid us in the ghetto, Abass escaped with his hands in handcuffs. An axe was recovered from him before he escaped. I know the policemen. They usually come to collect money from us. I went to where they were standing and asked them who they were looking for. That was how I was also arrested.  I promised the police to assist them catch Abass, who escaped with their handcuffs."
Taiwo added: “It was when we were searching for the suspect in the ghetto that we stumbled upon the guns and ammunition in a makeshift house where Abass, who escaped with handcuffs and his gang members used to sleep. The policemen also discovered drugs and charm in the makeshift house. I’m not a member of Abass’ gang. What I sell was just only the Indian hemp called Arizona. I regret living in the ghetto. I was only working and looking for what to eat."
Ayemojuba on his part denied participating in armed robbery. He, however, confessed to buying and selling Indian hemp as a means of livelihood.
 ---------------------------

Robbers, kidnappers have taken over our community –Abia residents

Emmanuel Ifeanyi
Aba

Residents of Umudukwu community in Obingwa Local Government Area of Abia State have sent a save our soul (SOS) message to the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Anthony Ogbizi, over what they described as incessant armed robbery attacks and kidnapping in the area.
According to the residents, no day passes without attacks in the area. They said that armed robbers used to dispossess them of their cash and property in broad daylight without being challenged by security agents.
One of them said: “The ugly situation is worsened by the deplorable state of our roads in the area. We’re appealing to the Abia State government to rehabilitate the Umudukwu Road as well as beef up security to protect lives and property. Even if security agents are coming to arrest them, there are no roads to access the area. This has given the hoodlums the courage to operate without fear. The commissioner and the state government should come to our aid. We’re no longer safe.”
A landlord in the area, Mr. Kingsley Kalu, said that residents in the community could no longer sleep with their eyes closed because of these robbery attacks.

He said: “Nobody is safe in Umudukwu anymore. Robbers now operate in broad daylight, raiding shop owners and passers-by. They rob and leave without fear of being arrested by the police. Sometimes, people are kidnapped; yes, it’s as bad as that. Many people are relocating from this area to safer places. We’re calling on the Abia State Commissioner of Police to beef up security and protect our lives and property.”
A cross section of the residents said the deplorable state of roads in the area had made it difficult for security agencies to access the community to check the activities of hoodlums who had found a safe haven in the area.
Attempts to draw the attention of the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Geoffrey Ogbonna, to the plight of the residents or have him comment on it did not yield fruit as he failed to respond to calls and text message sent to his mobile phone as at the time of filing this report.

No comments: