Sunday, March 25, 2018

Police anxious as suspect escapes in handcuffs

Detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Command, have arrested three suspected armed robbers cum cultists at the Ajah area of the state.

The suspects, Mejulu Raymond (44), Yakubu Taiwo (29) and Azeez Ayemojuba (19), were arrested at Flour Garden Ghetto, on Epe Expressway.
But the suspected leader of the gang allegedly escaped in handcuffs.
According to the police, the area allegedly serves as their hideout and venue of meeting before embarking on any operation.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Edgal Imohimi, said that the suspects were arrested on information.
The commissioner disclosed that immediately he received the information; he drafted some men, led by the officer in charge of SARS, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Mr. Ahmed Muhammed, to go after the suspects.
He added: “During a search conducted on the hideout, some of the following items were recovered; one Berretta pistol, one locally-made revolver pistol, one double-barrelled cut-to-size pistol, and three live cartridges. Others items recovered are two 9mm live ammunition, one expended ammunition, one axe, three bottles of Emzolyn with codeine, four bundles of weeds suspected to be Indian hemp and charms.
“The suspects confessed to being members of Aiye confraternity group and armed robbers that had been terrorising residents of Ajah and its environs. We’re also after one of their leaders, Bashorun Abass, who took to his heels on sighting SARS operatives.”
Raymond, whom the police alleged is the gang’s second in command, denied being an armed robber or a cultist. 
He said: “We were sleeping when the policemen came to raid us. I’m not an armed robber as alleged by the police. I run a cafeteria in the ghetto. The police also alleged that somebody was using those of us sleeping in the ghetto as land grabbers. I didn’t do all they accused me of doing. When they took me to Ajuwe Police Station, it was at the station I got to know that guns, axes and the ammunition actually belonged to a particular suspect. The suspect escaped after he was arrested. He escaped with his hands on handcuffs.
“I have not handled a gun in my life. I know some of the boys in the ghetto because they used to come to my cafeteria to eat.”
Taiwo, who admitted selling Indian hemp in the ghetto, also denied being in possession of guns.
He said: “When policemen from Ajuwe Police Station came to raid us in the ghetto, Abass escaped with his hands in handcuffs. An axe was recovered from him before he escaped. I know the policemen. They usually come to collect money from us. I went to where they were standing and asked them who they were looking for. That was how I was also arrested.  I promised the police to assist them catch Abass, who escaped with their handcuffs."
Taiwo added: “It was when we were searching for the suspect in the ghetto that we stumbled upon the guns and ammunition in a makeshift house where Abass, who escaped with handcuffs and his gang members used to sleep. The policemen also discovered drugs and charm in the makeshift house. I’m not a member of Abass’ gang. What I sell was just only the Indian hemp called Arizona. I regret living in the ghetto. I was only working and looking for what to eat."
Ayemojuba on his part denied participating in armed robbery. He, however, confessed to buying and selling Indian hemp as a means of livelihood.

No comments: