Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Suspect: My step-mom inflicted me with demon, turned me into robber

Juliana Francis

A 24-year-old robbery suspect, Norudeen Akorede, has blamed his step-mom for his robbery activities.


Akorede, who is among six suspects arrested for raiding buildings in Aboru area of Iyano-Ipaja, Lagos State, where victims’ heads were hit with machetes and fingers chopped off, claimed that he turned bad following his parents’ divorce and both remarrying.

According to him, his father’s new wife inflicted him with a demon, which made him to take to robbery. Akorede, a father of two, was arrested alongside Kunle Akerele alias Kunle Poly (29), Ayuba Aransi (20), Adewale Toyin (42), Tunde Yusuf (33) and Oluwatosin Adeyemi.

He said: “My father’s new wife started tormenting me. She made my younger brother to go insane and also poisoned my father. And then she turned me into an armed robber. Aside from fixing aluminum doors and windows, I’m also a boxer and tennis player. A lot of people knew I was skillful and my father’s wife wasn’t happy about it, thus she turned my life into a mess. I want to advice people who are into armed robbery to stop. I know that my predicament started after my father married two wives. If he had not, my life wouldn’t have been like this.”

Residents of Aboru community will always remember the day Akorede and his gang members stormed their community. It was in January 2019. The gang members were armed to the teeth. They unleashed terror, dispossessing residents of phones, laptops and cash. They also inflicted life threatening injuries on residents. 

The gang visited six buildings and while leaving, promised to return for another operation. The robbery operation was later investigated by operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Special (IGP) Special Intelligence Response Team, (IRT), led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari.  The IGP, Mohammed Adamu, instructed operatives of the IRT to probe the attack.

The operatives first went to the community to interview the victims. Working on the information gathered, the operatives arrested six members of the gang and recovered two locally made guns, 60 mobile phones and over 30 laptops.   

Akorede said that he met his gang members at an Indian hemp smoking joint and was talked into joining.

His words: “I used to fix aluminum doors and windows before I joined robbery. I reside at Alakoko area of the metropolis with my mom. My troubles started after my parents separated. My mother and father remarried. I was in secondary school when my parents separated. My mother took me along when she left my father’s house. My younger brother went with my father.  After my secondary school I went to learn how to fix aluminum doors and windows. I started smoking in 2017, but before I started smoking, I use to attend church with my mom. I was warned by the prophet in the church never to smoke cigarette or Indian hemp. He said that enemies were planning to ruin my life with it. He added that anything I wanted in life, God would give it to me, if only I would adhere to the instructions.”

He explained that two years ago the story of his life changed, after he went to Egbatedo area in Alakoko to look for a lady. He disclosed that in the area, people used to smoke Indian hemp and other hard drugs. It was there he met Kunle Poly.
He claimed that it was Kunle Poly, who taught him how to smoke and later introduced him into robbery. He stopped attending church and going to his work place. He started spending most of his days at the smoking joint.

He said: “Gradually, the spirit of God left me. I started following Kunle. We later met two other guys, Rafiu and Olamide. They talked me into joining them. I went on four operations with them. It was in the last operation that we injured people. Our gang members, Ay, Bode, Tunde  and Peter were armed with machetes on that fateful day. They were also the ones that injured people. We robbed four buildings. I was given only N20,000 in that operation.  I wasn’t even aware that Kunle-Poly stole a gold necklace in  that operation or that one of the victims was robbed of N400,000.
“My gang members were just using me as instrument of evil. They will go inside houses and asked me to stay outside to watch out for police. They will rob victims of huge sums of money and give me peanuts.  They said I should buy my own gun if I wanted to be getting bigger shares.”

Kunle-Poly explained that he went into crime because he had no job. He bought his first gun for N20,000. He explained that due to lack of job, he spent most of his days at an Indian hemp smoking joint in his community. While Akorede claimed that Kunle-Poly introduced him into robbery, the latter insisted that it was Akorede that linked him to robbers.

Kunle-Poly said: “One day, I approached Tunde Yusuf, who lives in my area. I  gave him N20,000 to buy me a gun. He did. There was this  other gang member known as Tunde, who had a gun. But he has been arrested. When he joined our gang, he came with his gun. Our  first operation was at Aboru. It was Ayuba, a friend of Peter that called me; he said that he has found a community we could rob. This was in November 2018. I led six of  our members to the community. We had two guns and robbed four bungalows.  I had one of the guns with me, while Tunde had his. Peter, Ay and Bode had cutlasses.”

The suspect further stated: “When we approached the first building, Peter removed the Aluminum windows and entered into one of the rooms. He threatened everyone in the room, and from there, he opened the passage door for us. We entered and robbed all the occupants of phones, cash and laptops. I can’t tell you the number of phones we robbed in that building. We moved out of there to some other streets, where we robbed three additional buildings.  At the end, I got two phones, one laptop and N15,000 as my share. I became angry.  I told them that I wouldn’t go  with them for any other robbery. What I got was too small. I told them to call me only when they had lucrative operations. Before I was arrested, I joined another gang led by one Emir; we robbed a building in Agbado area. We collected three laptops and five phones. I was arrested the following day.”

Asked how he was arrested, he replied: “It was the receiver that brought police to my house. It was after I was arrested I learned that Akorede and Peter led another group to rob people in Aboru, where they injured many people.”

Yusuf, also a father of two, said that he was working as a barman at the Ikeja Country Club before he was sacked. After losing his job, he started staying at home and later came in contact with Kunle-Poly and Akorede. The duo told him to get a gun for them. He bought two guns from a member of the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) for N20,000.

He disclosed that after every successful operation, the gang would give him some money. He confessed to being the person that used to assist the gang in selling phones and laptops robbed from victims.

One of the suspects, Aransi, a resident of Aboru, said that he is a cobbler. He joined robbery in January 2019. He said that his friend, Rasheed initiated him.

Aransi added: “I was the person that led the gang to rob  six houses  in Aboru. It was Peter that chopped off the fingers of one of the victims.  I was given N20,000 on the first operation. I got N15,000 in the second operation.”

The receiver of the stolen items, Toyin, said that he is a laptop and phone repairer at Ikeja Computer Village. He said that he started selling phones in March last year.
He said: “I didn’t know that the phones were stolen. I usually buy each for N20,000 and N15000. I sell for N44000 and N23000. I used to buy laptops from them at the rate of N25,000 and N30,000. I resell for between N50,000 to N60, 000, especially laptops. I have received a total of 60 phones from them. I didn’t know that the phones were stolen at the beginning.”


No comments: