Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Three factory workers die after metal splash


Taiwo Jimoh
Three factory workers of African Foundries, located at Ogijo area of Ogun State have died after liquid metal splashed on them.

The incident, which happened Thursday last week, plunged other factory workers into a mournful mood.
The victims, Dayo Dauda, Amechi Joseph and David Jasper, died when the hot substance splashed on them, while they were taking their bath within the factory.
The death of the three factory workers allegedly caused the steel manufacturing company to shut down their plants. Sources in the company claimed that the plant was shut down to avoid breakdown of law and order. The factory workers are alleged to be paid N800 per day.
Joseph’s widow, Muibat, said she was at home, waiting for Joseph’s return when she received the heartbreaking news that he was dead.
Muibat said: "When Amechi was going to work in the evening, he played with the children and promise to return with gifts for them. We didn’t know that would be the last time we would see him. When the call came, I rushed to the company. I was told he had been taken to the hospital by the management of the company."
She further said: "A few hours later, my husband’s younger brother, who was at the hospital, rushed at to tell us that he was dead. I fainted and was revived at the hospital. Right now, I’m not healthy; I don't know where to start from. He was the one taking responsibility of the home. Chinonye my daughter has been asking of her dad. The death of my husband is a big loss to me.”
Jeff, the deceased’s younger brother, who is a factory worker at the company, alleged that was not the first time such an incident would be happening. He further alleged that people continued to work there because of the employment challenge in the country.
Recollecting how Joseph died, Jeff said: “On that day, some people were working, while others were preparing to sign out and leave. We suddenly heard a loud blast from the production section. We thought it was normal; we didn’t know it was critical. This was around 7:15p.m. I was somewhere in the company when a friend came to call me that my brother was involved in the blast. When I moved close to him, I couldn't touch him. He was severely burnt. He was screaming my name.”
Jeff continued: “He was my brother. I raised him up and called for help from my colleagues. We were able to move him into an ambulance and rushed him to the hospital. On our way to the hospital, he was crying. He asked to take care of his children. He knew he wouldn’t survive. I held him and we both started crying. We are orphans. I don't know how I’m going to cope."
Jeff further said that what he wanted for his late brother was Justice. He said that the management of the company told him during a meeting, that it only gives N500, 000 as compensation to whoever dies on duty.

When our correspondent went to the company to hear their side of the story of how the incident happened and allegation of only willing to part with N500, 000, one of the managers said the matter had been resolved. He declined further comment.
The executive director of the company, Mr Uche Iwuamadi, in a statement, said that the company has reached out to families of the deceased.
Iwuamadi said: "On 11th April, at about 7:00am, there was splash of liquid metal from the furnace in the factory. The liquid accidentally touched three of our factory workers, who had already closed from work, but were taking their bath in an open place in an unauthorized location described as restricted area within the factory instead of the normal factory bathroom. They were injured in the process and rushed to the nearby hospital in Ikorodu where they later died."

No comments: