Boko Haram
The
Federal Government and Britain have tightened their grip on funds
flowing to the Boko Haram and its breakaway faction, Ansaru, in their
determination to cripple the activities of the terror groups. Saturday
PUNCH learnt that Nigeria and Britain had in conjunction with some other
countries intensified the search for sources of funding for these
groups and blocked many of them.
A top security source said the clampdown
involved banks and other financial institutions in these countries and
the effort had made it very difficult for the groups to receive funds
through such conventional means.
The Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, an arm of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, is coordinating the effort.
Boko Haram has been involved in the
bombing of churches, banks, schools, military and police formations,
media houses in some northern states and Abuja. The acts have claimed
hundreds of lives.
Boko Haram has also claimed
responsibility for the killings of some prominent northerners and failed
attempts to assassinate some top monarchs and Islamic religious
leaders.
Its leader, Abubakar Shekau, fled Nigeria to Mali some months ago after he was almost apprehended in Yobe State.
He is believed to have relocated to
Forecariah in neighbouring Guinea to evade capture by a multinational
force led by Nigeria and France.
Ansaru, whose full name is Jama’atu
Ansaril Muslimina fi Biladis Sudan, broke away from Boko Haram sometime
last year and has claimed responsibility for the kidnap of some
foreigners in northern Nigeria and Cameroon.
Currently, Nigerian and French special
forces are searching for seven French nationals kidnapped in Northern
Cameroon on Tuesday by suspected Ansaru militants.
Security sources said the blocking of
funds for these groups was the reason why its members had been robbing
banks and kidnapping foreigners for ransom.
A security source said, “Under the
regulations guiding NFIU’s operations, there is something called the
rendition of reports on funds by banks. They do it daily. It is part of
NFIU’s job to track the movement of terrorist funds.
“Whatever information NFIU gets, it shares with relevant agencies in Nigeria and foreign countries.”
The source, however, declined to give details of the blocking of terrorist funds, “in order not to jeopardise operations.”
When contacted, the spokesman for the
EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, declined comment on the matter, describing it
as a “sensitive issue.”
Press and Political Officer, British
High Commission, Abuja, Robert Fitzpatrick, confirmed that both nations
were collaborating on the tracking and blocking of terrorist funds.
“The UK takes the movement of illicit funds seriously. We work closely with the Nigerian Government,” he said in an email.
He said both countries were obligated to
fight terrorism under the terms of a July 19, 2011 communique signed by
President Goodluck Jonathan and Prime Minister David Cameron in Abuja
during the latter’s visit to Nigeria.
PUNCH
No comments:
Post a Comment