Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Guard organises N12m robbery of boss

Iyare

Frank

Okon
Detectives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command, have arrested a security guard, who organized with a gang and robbed his former boss of N12 million.

The suspect, identified as Mr. Ijare Ojo, 26, was formerly a security guard to his boss who resides at the Dolfin Estate, Ikoyi. Angry Ojo, who used to be paid N18, 000 per month, said he robbed the man for firing him because, “of a cleaner the man was dating.”

On the fateful day of the attack, Ojo with his members had laid in wait for his boss to return, after tying up the security guard who was on duty that night.


When the owner of the house drove into his compound, it was Ojo who opened the date, but the man did not take notice that it was Ojo, because he allegedly had on the uniform of the second security guard.

Immediately the man drove in, the gang pounced on him. They cello taped his eyes and made away with his dollars. They later changed the hard currency to naira, which was about N12 million. They also made away with his phones, laptops and I-pad. Part of the money stolen was used in buying a second car, which the gang started using as operational vehicle to snatch cars.
According to the police, Ojo teamed up with three suspected robbers early this year and robbed his master.
Police investigation revealed the identity of the three other suspects as Richard Okon, 29, Obiora Frank, 27, and one Sunday who is still at large. Aside from Sunday, others fleeing members of the gang being hunted by police are Cyril aka CY and Chukwuma Nkem.

A police source said: “Ojo with his gang attacked the house at night. Unfortunately, the man was not at home. They however met a new security guard, whom they tied down. When the man drove towards the gate, Ojo opened the gate like a security man. The man did not recognise Ojo. Richard pointed a toy gun at the man, while others dragged him out from his car.”

It was gathered that the gang met its waterloo after the Officer in Charge of SARS, SP. Abba Kyarri, received a tip-off that some suspected robbers were planning to carry out a robbery operation at the Ikorodu area of Lagos.

Kyarri with his men had gone to the area and laid ambush for them. At about 8pm, the suspects surfaced. In the hot chase and gun duel that ensured, Chukwuma escaped, while Obiora and one Ikechukwu aka IK were arrested. Ikechukwu later died due to bullet wounds sustained during exchange of gunfire with the police.
 It was the confession made by the suspects arrested, that led to the arrest of Ojo, Richard and Okon who had escaped earlier. Obiora’s confession led to the arrest of Ojo the leader of the first operation.

Ojo said: “I work in Proton Security Company which posted me to Park View. The man fired me because of a female cleaner he was dating. Proton posted me elsewhere but I was no longer interested in security work.
“I met Richard (Okon) through his girlfriend. I told him I was stranded. I had also gotten a woman pregnant at that time. I explained my situation to Richard. I later attempted to sell the idea of robbing my former boss to Richard, but he rejected it. I told Obiora, but he showed no interest. But suddenly this year, they both agreed to the plan.”

He narrated that on the day of the robbery, he had waited outside while others went to the gate, fooled and tied the security guard. “They called me on phone after they had tied the guard and I entered.”

He said that the owner of the house returned at about 1: am, which was when the operation truly commenced.

He said: “I don’t know the total amount of money we took, but I was given N1 million as my share of the money. I bought grinding machine for wheat and cassava. I was grinding in Bariga market until I was arrested.”

Okon is the son of a Captain in the Nigerian Army. He said he was angry with his father for marrying six wives and not bothering to send him to school. His mother was his father’s first wife.
Okon said he had worked as a farmer, then travelled to Benin and worked in a beer parlour, after which he came down to Lagos and started selling gas. “Later, I started selling second hand clothes. I have participated in three robbery operations,” he said.

Obiora claimed that his life and educational pursuit took a dive after his father had an automobile accident and was, “no longer normal.”
 In search of greener pastures, he came to Lagos in 2012, to meet his friend Ojo. It was Ojo who introduced him to robbery.

He said: “I collected N1.2 million and an I-Pad in my first robbery operation. The second operation was in Surulere. We snatched a Toyota Camry car. CY sold it and gave me N35, 000. My third operation took place at Isolo. We also snatched a car there. The fourth operation was the Ikorodu robbery. We were going for the robbery when police arrested us.
 “With money from robbery, I had been able to buy a Toyota Camry car for N450, 000 and rented house at Owonronsoki.”
Police investigators have discovered that Okon had once gone to prisons for robbery, but was granted bail. He came out to continue with his old life of crime.

No comments: