Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Gunmen kill 38 in Southern Kaduna, Kano blast survivors recount ordeal

NO fewer than 38 persons were killed on Monday night in two separate attacks in two villages in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

This came as survivors in the bomb blast, which occurred in Kano School of Hygiene, on Monday, recounted their ordeals.

Mr Emmanuel Adamu, the Sanga Local Government Area chairman, told newsmen in Sanga that the attacks were carried out in the villages simultaneously.

Adamu said the gunmen unleashed mayhem on Ankpon village in Nandu district and Kabamu village in Fadan Karshi, all of Numana district.

While describing the incident as unfortunate, he said the victims included women and children.

“Twenty-one people were killed in Fadan Kashi, while 17 were killed in Nandu,” he said.

Adamu condoled with those who lost their loved ones during the attack and urged residents to remain calm.

According to him, security agencies were tracking the attackers while measures had been adopted to forestall recurrence.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalled that seven people were killed when gunmen attacked a police outpost at Fadan Karshi in May.

Following the pathetic situation some of the survivors of the bomb blast that rocked the School of Hygiene, Kano, are  at present at the Murtala Muhammed Hospital, investigation has revealed that most of them are short of blood, just as one of the earlier survivors had died.

This is just as the Emir of Kano, Mallam Lamido Sanusi, paid a sympathy visit to the affected victims, saying that the incessant terrorist attack in the country “is assuming a dangerous dimension.”

Some of the sympathisers were burnt beyond recognition, as some of their relatives shed tears when they saw them.

The hospitals, where over 20 students affected in the blast were currently receiving treatment, was besieged by blood donors and students of the school, to save the lives.

As of the time of filing this report, the death toll, according to government officials, had risen to seven.

Speaking in an interview, Kano State Commissioner for Health, Dr Abubakar Labaran, said one person died on Tuesday morning, bringing the number of death to seven, contrary to earlier eight claimed by the state police command.

Speaking with a victim, Malam Adamu Haladu, he told the Nigerian Tribune that he was grateful to Allah for what happened.

“I  underwent all necessary procedures to secure admission in the school. The day I collected my admission letter, I was so happy. On that fateful day (Monday), I was thrilled that I was going to sign all necessary documents that will make me a bonafide student of the institution; but fate had it that way. I give glory to Allah that I survived it,” he said.

He stated further that “on Monday, we were all waiting for the provost, but I decided to stand where he normally park his car. As we were waiting, he came in. I immediately informed my parents that the provost was around. As I dropped the call, the next thing I heard was a deafening sound, which looked as if I was slapped on my face. All I noticed was that my two legs were shattered. 

“I managed to crawl like a baby and struggled to walk on my chest out of the scene of the incident. All I will say is that only God will repay those behind this dastardly act.”

Malam Alhaji Muhammad Lawal, one of the guardians of a victim, said “I was in the school to visit the son of my sister, Abdulmutalib, who is a student of the school.

“In fact, what has happened to this boy must have been destined by God. We had gone to the school to collect admission letter when the incident happened. He sustained fractures in both legs, but we are begging the state government to kindly take proper care of the affected victims, because most of them have serious burns and some of them have lost blood.”

Another student, Auwalu Mohammed (29), said “I went to the school to check my results. I was just standing beside a vehicle parked within the vicinity when I heard unusual sound, unknown to me that it was an explosion. At the end of it all, I was devastated and unconscious.”

Speaking when he paid a visit to the hospital, the emir said the incessant terrorist attack in the country was assuming a dangerous dimension, which needed concerted effort by stakeholders to tackle.

He urged the state government not to relent in its efforts in supporting the affected victims on admission at the hospital.

Meanwhile, the state governor, Dr Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, during the visit to the hospital, has directed that the victims be treated freely, adding that the government would take full responsibility.

He described the incident as an act of criminality meant to kill innocent people without a cause.

The governor directed the Ministry of Health to monitor the treatment of those on admission at the hospital, to ensure their speedy recovery.

Kwankwaso also thanked the security agencies for their prompt action and professionalism.
TRIBUNE

No comments: