Monday, June 23, 2014

‘I killed her because she threatened to kill me’

*bribes police N5m, with hectares of land and C-of-O



Alhaji Olatunji Azeez, 64, who buried a 68-year-old female retired customs officer and her 10-year-old adopted daughter alive at the Ajuwo area of Ogun State and cemented the pit because he could not pay the N10 million he owed, yesterday (today) confessed that he had to kill the woman, identified as Mrs. Angela Kerry and her daughter, Obralulum Kerry because the woman had earlier threatened to kill him.

Singing like a bird at the Lagos State Police Command, Azeez said: “I killed her because she first threatened to kill me. I knew that if I didn’t kill her. She would kill me first! I didn’t want to kill her daughter, but she caused the death of her daughter. When I planned to kill her, I told her not to bring her daughter along, but she refused. She said she goes everywhere with her daughter. If I didn’t her daughter, what would I do with the girl?”

Azeez, an herbalist, who confessed that he decided to kill Kerry, added that the woman was becoming hostile because of the money he owed her and was even threatening to kill him.

He was said to have constructed a new house where he would kill the woman. In the middle of the house, he dug a fresh pit and covered with a praying mat. He lured the woman and her daughter into the house, lying that he needed to carry out further work and prayers for her to conceive and borne a child even when he knew it was impossible.

Immediately Kerry and her daughter walked into the newly constructed house, which Azeez told them was his new shrine; he had urged to kneel on the mat.

I
 
 
Immediately they knelt down, the mat carved inside. The daughter had attempted to climb out, but he allegedly stoned and pushed her inside.

He proceeded to pour sand over them, unmindful of their wailings and pleas for clemency.  

He said: “But the truth of the matter is I didn’t build that house or dug that pit with the plan to kill her there. I built as soak away pit for flood which was always disturbing me. When I came back after I covered them with sand, I noticed it had rained and water on top of the sand. I later called some Hausa men to come and cement it.”

Investigators revealed that Azeez and Kerry were lover and that she even gave him N200 million to buy a building for her, but urged him to buy the building in his name. According to him, “She said she didn’t want family members to be disturbing her about her property.”

Azeez said that he met Kerry five years ago through her friend called Lizzy. “Lizzy is my patient. She brought Kerry. Kerry was having spiritual attack. I charged her N5million and she paid. Later she came back, said that she would like to have a baby. I told her that since she had passed menopause that it would be impossible, but she wouldn’t listen. She kept troubling. To dissuade her, I told that if I must prepare a charm for her to get pregnant, she must pay N10m. I said N10m to send her away, but she accepted to pay the money. She immediately brought N2m and started paying the rest on installment. I prepared a concoction for her, but I knew she would never be able to get pregnant.

“She called one day and said that the medicine was not working. That she was not pregnant. I told her that I had earlier warned that someone who had passed menopause would never get pregnant. She was angry. She invited me to her house. She said she that I should first give her N6m out of the N10m, so that she could use to facilitate the travel plans of her and her daughter that they wanted to leave Nigeria and base overseas. It was in her house she told me that I was not showing any sign that I wanted to pay the money. She said that she could kill right there in her house and nobody would know. I knew that if I didn’t kill her, she would kill me. It was a matter of who would kill first. I killed her first!”

After Azeez buried the victims, worried family members besieged Oko-Oba Police Station to that their Kerry was missing.

One of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos Command, detectives said: “After killing the victims, he didn’t know what to do with Kerry’s car and travelling bag. He took the bag and buried it with her. He took Kerry’s car to a car dealer to sell for him. A relative of Kerry saw the car at where it was placed for sale and recognized it as the car of their sister whom they had been searching  for and had even declared missing. He went back to Oko-Oba Police Station. The car dealer was arrested and he took policemen to Azeez, from there Azeez was transferred to SARS. But right from Oko-Oba Police Station, Azeez repeatedly denied knowing about the disappearance of the woman.”

It was further gathered that he had attempted to bribe policemen from Oko-Oba Police Station with N5m bribe and offer hectare of land with Certificates of Occupancy, for them to stop troubling him, even as he denied complicity in the disappearance of the victims. It was at SARS that he finally carved in.

The State’s Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko who parade Azeez said: “Sequel to the disappearance of Kerry and her adopted daughter on May, 10, 2014, the case was reported at New Oko-Oba Police Station by family of the victim. Eventually Azeez, an herbalist and ritual killer who resides at Ajuwo Akute in Ogun State was arrested through the tracking device installed on the victims Toyota Camry. I directed that Officer in Charge of SARS, Sp. Abba Kyarri to take over the case and ensure the victims were traced.

“During interrogation, the suspect confessed to have murdered the victims and buried them in his house on May, 10. On June 20, at about 2pm, he led SARS detectives, under Kyarri to No. 9, Wadoye Street, Pipeline, Ajuwo Area of Ogun State where SARS Operatives dug and exhumed the decomposed bodies from a 40 feet well he purposely dug for burying the victims. He confessed to have hypnotized the victim who came for prayers and spiritual assistance before throwing both mother and daughter into the well.

“He buried them alive! Family members of the victim confirmed that he sold the victim’s landed property worth over N200m and converted the proceed to his personal use. He further confessed that he decided to eliminate the woman and her daughter because she was pressuring him to produce her money. Corpses of the victims are deposited at Yaba Mainland Hospital for autopsy. We have concluded investigation and the suspect would be charged to court for murder.”

No comments: