Thursday, April 7, 2022

My salary can’t provide three square meal, says Police constable


…as he tenders resignation

Juliana Francis

 


A police constable, Ugwu Chimezie, attached to Igbo Eze South Nigeria Police Station, Ibagwa Aka has tender resignation, citing poor welfare as his reason.

In the letter, dated 25th of March 2022, Chimezie, with Force No. 528089, “The purpose of my resignation is a result of poor remuneration, which is unbearable for me because I find it difficult to feed myself with three standard square meals.”

The letter is addressed Area Commander, through the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Igbo Eze South Division, through the Deputy Crime Officer (DCO), through the Admin Officer, through the Station Officer, the Nigeria Police, Area Commander Nsukka.

The title of the letter states, “Application For Resignation of Police Job.”

The letter reads in full: “1, PC Ugwu Chimezie with Force No. 528089, posted to Igbo Eze Police Division, Ibagwa Aka, humbly put down this letter to request for resignation of my police job. The purpose of my resignation is a result of poor remuneration, which is unbearable for me because I find it difficult to feed myself with three standard square meals, let alone self-maintenance as a man. I appreciate your giving me the opportunity to join the organization, thanks for your approval in anticipation. Yours faithfully.”

This resignation letter comes just from members of the rank and file who had been threatening to go on strike due to poor remuneration and inhuman working conditions.

The police top hierarchy had been doing its utmost to dispel the rumour, including instructing different police commands and their commissioners to have discussions with the police personnel.


No comments: