Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ademola’s killing: Coroner issues bench warrant against policemen

The Late Ademola

An Ikeja District Coroner, Magistrate Tajudeen Elias, who is conducting an inquest into the death of Abiodun Ademola, during the January subsidy protests in Lagos has issued a bench warrant against two policemen.
Elias issued bench warrants against Rexman Ihekweazu, an assistant superintendent of police, and Athanasius Ohaire, an Inspector, for failing repeatedly to appear before the coroner as witnesses despite being summoned.
At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, police lawyer, ASP Cyril Ejiofor, told the coroner that he was fed up with the continued failure of the two policemen to heed the court summons.
He said he had tried all he could to bring the two police officers to court but to no avail.
He said, “I have called these two officers on the telephone, sent signals and even taken summons to them yet they refused to come to court.
“There is this notion that policemen cannot be arrested by their colleagues. I want this court to make an order compelling the Commissioner of Police to do everything possible to ensure their presence in court or preferably issue a bench warrant against them.”
Chinelo Chinweze, lawyer to Access to Justice, an interested party in the inquest, said she had no objection to Ejiofor’s application.
“I have no objection with the application made by the police counsel. In fact, I express commendation for the bold step taken by him in this matter,” she said.
Elias while issuing the warrant said the CP must produce them before him at the next sitting.
“A bench warrant is hereby issued against these two police officers and the Lagos State Commissioner of Police is ordered to ensure that they attend the court sitting at the next adjourned date.”
Elias subsequently adjourned till November 14 for further hearing.
Ademola was allegedly killed on January 9 by the Divisional Police Officer of Pen Cinema Division, Segun Fabunmi, during the nationwide anti-fuel subsidy protests.

The Punch

FRSC brutality: OPD offers legal service to victim


The Office of Public Defender in the Lagos State Ministry of Justice, has promised to provide free legal service to Mr. Gbolahan Olayinka, the man allegedly brutalised by men of the Federal Road Safety Corps.
A ranking official of the OPD, who craved anonymity, said this on the phone on Wednesday.
The official said, “We are ready to defend him if he does not have a lawyer to represent him. This is an issue bordering on fundamental human rights.
“We will invite the victim to our office. If we find out he does not have a lawyer to represent him, we will take up the matter.”
Olayinka on Tuesday accused men of the FRSC, Oshodi Unit, Lagos State, of tying him to a telecommunication mast and brutalising him for allegedly obstructing other motorists.
He had gone to buy fuel for his official car when one of the three FRSC men at the scene thereafter attempted to deflate his tyre, an act he tried to restrain leading to his being beaten to a pulp.
Lagos State Sector Commander, FRSC, Mr. Nseobong Akpabio, had already set up a disciplinary committee to investigate the matter.
Expectedly, the incident has generated a lot of comments from online readers, condemning the brutality.
A reader, Musari Oluwalambe, urged the FRSC to investigate the matter to the letter.
“I think these FRSC boys need more orientation. They should also study the Act that established the corps very well. The Act does not permit any corps marshal to put handcuffs on someone; this case should be investigated thoroughly.”
Another reader, Mr. Sodiq Abdul, said, “This country is finished. If the FRSC can do this, I imagine what police will do to an alleged armed robber.
“I once had an experience with the FRSC but luckily for me before it got to this level, I had faked-calling a DPO friend of mine in State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.
“After a huge scene, they called for more officers and took me to their Yaba office. There, I was thoroughly abused. It took the intervention of a senior officer of the corps before they left me.
According to another reader, Muyiwa Ademola, since this is just one side of the story, the public should wait for the outcome of the disciplinary committee.
“How sure are we that the man is saying the truth? I have seen drivers brutalise FRSC officers on the road. We have cases where motorists run over them while they are doing their job; so let’s hear from the other party too,” he said.

The Punch

Thai teenager kills mother in computer game row


A 15-year-old boy allegedly stabbed his mother to death on Wednesday after she had scolded him for playing computer games into the early hours of the morning, police said.
The Thai teenager slashed his 50-year-old mother three times with a machete and stabbed her in the back at their Bangkok home at 2a.m after they had argued about his late-night computer-game playing, Police Major Prayuth Puengkaeha said.
The boy’s sister was also wounded in the altercation, and had to be hospitalised, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
Prayuth said the boy’s case would be presented to the Juvenile Court.
The identities of the boy and his family members are withheld for legal reasons.

Four drivers remanded in prison custody for fighting FRSC officials

FRSC boss, Osita Chidioka

An Ilorin Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday remanded four drivers in prison custody for allegedly fighting with officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission.
The accused, Suleiman Aweda, Segun Busari, Suleiman Raji and Lawal Yusuf, appeared before the court on a three-count charge of criminal conspiracy, trespass and mischief, contrary to the Penal Code.
According to the charge sheet, the accused entered the premises of FRSC, Jebba Unit, in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State and forcefully removed a Toyota Corolla car with registration number AE 814 PTG, impounded from Yusuf.
The charge said the accused vandalised the FRSC premises in the process of removing the vehicle.
It added that the first accused, Yusuf, was arrested for contravening traffic laws and had his car impounded by FRSC operatives.
The charge reads, “Yusuf was the person that mobilised his accomplices from the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Bode Sadu Branch, in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara. ”
The accused persons pleaded ‘not guilty’ to the allegations against them.
The prosecutor, Insp. Mojisola Olamokun, told the court that the alleged offences were not ordinarily bailable and urged the court to remand them in prison, pending the completion of investigation.
In her ruling, Magistrate Mariam Salahu ordered them to be remanded in the Federal Prison Yard, Ilorin, and adjourned the case till November 8.
The Punch

Gunmen rob, kill car dealer in Onitsha


Four armed men on Monday robbed and killed a middle-aged car dealer, Chief Emeka Ekwerendu, at Modebe Avenue Junction in the commercial city of Onitsha, Anambra State.
The Divisional Police Officer at the Central Police Station, Onitsha, Mr. Tomitope Fahugbe, confirmed the incident to newsmen, adding that he had yet to receive full details.
An eyewitness said the late Ekwerendu was shot by a four-man armed robbery gang at about 8:30a.m a few metres away from the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Odoakpu, Onitsha.
“The gang operating in a light green Toyota Sienna without a vehicle number plate trailed their victim from a primary school close to the church, after he had dropped his children at school.
“As he was driving out in his black Land Cruiser jeep, he was shot dead and an undisclosed amount of money taken from the boot of his vehicle.
“The gang armed with four Ak-47 riffle shot sporadically into the air to scare the people away as they made their exit,” he said.

The Punch

Darkness Looms As PHCN Workers Move To Disrupt Electricity Supply


The union leaders of Power Holdings Company of Nigeria (PHCN) have began to mobilise its workers to disrupt attempts by investors who want to take over the company.
This was disclosed in a telephone interview by the President of the Senior Staff Association of Electricity and Allied Companies (SSAEAC), Comrade Bede Opara to LEADERSHIP yesterday.
According to him, “We are mobilizing our workers from all over the states incase any investors want to take over the facilities without paying us our severance and gratuity.
“We will resist such attempt and, by today (yesterday), we will inform Kaduna workers and others to prepare their minds in case of any attempt of investors to commence operation.
LEADERSHIP recalls that SSAEAC had earlier declared that the Federal Government’s deliberate refusal to complete discussions on the payment of severance, gratuity and pensions to employees of PHCN, who, by virtue of the ongoing implementation of the power reform, are all to be disengaged from the services of company, portended dangers, as the chances of the new investors taking over the company were uncertain, if all pending labour issues were not settled.

Leadership