Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ondo jailbreak: Police rearrest 54 fleeing prisoners




Comptroller of Prisons in the state Mr. Tunde Olayiwola
Ondo State Command of the Nigeria Police said on Monday that its officers had re-arrested 54 inmates of the Olokuta Medium Security Prisons in Akure, who were part of the 175 inmates that escaped when some gunmen attacked the place on Sunday.
The Public Relations Officer of the Command, Mr. Wole Ogodo, who stated this in a statement on Monday, also denied a newspaper’s report (not in The PUNCH), that 10 travellers were killed during the attack by the hoodlums.
Ogodo described the newspaper’s report as a misrepresentation of the incident as no death was recorded during or after the attack.
He said, “The publication is a complete misrepresentation of the facts of the incident as no such death was recorded during the jail break.
“The attack on the prisons was carried out by some armed robbers mainly aimed at liberating some members of their gang who were in prison custody.
“No death was recorded either on the side of the security agents, inmate or any travellers.”
The police spokesman said 54 of the fleeing prisoners had been  arrested and had been returned to custody.
Meanwhile, security had been beefed up in Akure and neighbouring towns of Ondo, Idanre and Owo by riot policemen, soldiers and regular policemen, who were combing the towns for the fleeing prisoners.
Our correspondent observed that there was an unusual traffic congestion on Ondo Road when soldiers from the 32 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, also known as Owena Barracks, frisked motorists and passengers.
The riot and regular policemen were also seen conducting a stop-and-search in Akure and Ondo towns on Monday while operatives of the States Security Services were sighted at some black spots, drinking joints and hotels, on surveillance.
The Comptroller of Prisons in the state Mr. Tunde Olayiwola could not be reached for comments when our correspondent called at his office as he was said to be holding a crucial meeting.
However, sources at the prisons indicated that most of the inmates that escaped were hardened criminals.
A source said, “There is a strong indication that those who escaped were notorious armed robbers, who had committed grave offences against the state which could lead to their death.
Meanwhile, Minister of Interior, Abbah Moro, on Monday, condemned the attack.
In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Geoge Udoh,in Abuja on Monday, the minister described the attack as unreasonable.
According to him, the jail-break was perpetrated by the people he described as enemy of progress.
Meanwhile, the new Chairman of the Police Service Commission, Chief Mike  Okiro, has promised to bring his wealth of experience within and outside Nigeria to bear in enhancing professionalism in the Nigeria Police Force and in tackling the nation’s security challenges.
PUNCH

18 soldiers on trial for aiding Boko Haram




Chief of Defence Staff, Vice Admiral Ola Ibrahim
Eighteen  soldiers, including a  lieutenant,  on Monday appeared  before  a General  Court Martial in Jos,  Plateau State for aiding members of the  fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram,  and other insurgent groups in their  activities.
The soldiers are members of  the Joint Task Force code named Operation Restore Order in Borno State and the Special Task Force also known as Operation Safe Heaven in Plateau State.
The  JTF and STF were deployed in  the two states following the menace of  insurgent groups in the country. While the JTF is also  battling with Boko Haram members  in Adamawa,  and Yobe states,  the STF has been grasping with Fulani herdsmen who,  in the past 10 years had taken Plateau State by the jugular.
The soldiers are being tried under charges termed, “communication with the enemies, cowardly behaviour,  murder and manslaughter.”
The  General  Officer Commanding the 3 Division of the Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Ebisowei Awala,  said before  the inauguration of the five-member panel that  the soldiers were duly investigated by the military police.
 Awala described   the  court martial  as  one of the instruments conferred on him by the  Armed Forces Act chapter A 20 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria to address problems in the army.
He explained  that any officer who wanted to succeed in the military should be disciplined and loyal, adding that these were two “essential requirements” an officer should not lack.
The GOC said,   “Discipline is the foundation on which the military career rests; as a matter of fact, discipline and loyalty are two essential requirements no officer or soldier, who wants to succeed in professional soldiering, can afford to lack.
“It is the duty of superiors to observe, correct and instantly deal with negligence or any misconduct on the part of subordinates.
“When there is any breach, it is expected that appropriate disciplinary measures must be taken by commanders to forestall future occurrences.
“This way, the Nigerian Army can continue to play its constitutional role and sustain its accolade as the pride of the Nigerian nation.”
Awala said that the  court martial was  necessary so as to ensure that the high level of professionalism required to confront the lingering security challenges  in the country, especially in the North-East  was sustained.
He enjoined the parties in the court martial to discharge their duties expeditiously and with a high degree of commitment, to enable the accused persons to get justice.
According to him, justice is a three-way traffic that involves the accused, the   army and the state; hence the need for fairness and equity.
“I want to implore this general court martial to ensure that no effort is spared to achieve this three-way traffic of the justice system; in this case, of the accused, the Nigerian Army and the state.
“Where a person is convicted of an offence, sentence ought to be passed. Such sentences must be humanely meted out.
“Punishment is among the means available for the maintenance of discipline in the Nigerian  Army; as such the kind and amount of punishment should be adequate enough to achieve its purpose and serve as a deterrent to others.’’
He  stressed that the GCM was convened  to sustain a high level of professionalism required to confront the mounting security  challenges in the Division’s  area of responsibility.
Judge Advocate, Col.  Dorothy Wilson-Ekwo, told  newsmen  after the convening of the GCM  that the suspects  would be given a fair hearing.
When the charges were read to the soldiers,  they pleaded not guilty. No lawyer appeared for them.
Thereafter the court rose without announcing any adjourning date.
However one of the lawyers present, Mr. A. B. James, told journalists  that he was only there as an observer.
Another court martial is  also trying 14 officers and men under the 3 Armoured Division for various acts of misdemeanour.
A former  Commander of the 33 Artillery Brigade in Bauchi, Brig.-Gen. Muraina Raji, was  tried by a Special Court Martial at the 3 Armoured Division, Jos for his alleged role in the escape of two high-profile Boko Haram suspects.
Though he was  discharged and acquitted of all the three charges, he was convicted on “special findings” by the court and sentenced to a three-month loss of seniority in his rank.
PUNCH

NBA set to expose corrupt judges

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), on Monday in Abuja, said it will henceforth expose corrupt judges and lawyers in the judiciary in a bid to rid the system of corruption.
The president of the association, Okey Wali (SAN),  who disclosed this while speaking at the opening of the NBA anti-corruption commission seminar, said judicial corruption poisons the judicial process by compromising its defining attributes- fair, equal and fearless resolution of disputes.
“Judicial corruption takes many forms: naked bribery is the most heinous- some judges take bribes. We cannot go around calling ourselves learned friends and learned brethren if we condone or wink at judicial bribery.
“The NBA, through its Anti-Corruption Commission and other organs and programmes, is determined to intervene decisively in the fight against corruption.NBA will set up a Name, Shame, and Tame programme at our national secretariat. The theme of this seminar is instructive and dovetails neatly with our NST- Name, Shame, and Tame the Bad Guys on the Bench and of course the Bar. • Name: By a whistleblower mechanism, NBA will encourage lawyers and litigants to report corrupt judges and lawyers through an anonymous phone-in service. • Shame: NBA will investigate the reports, not for accuracy but for reasonable viability, and submit its findings to law-enforcement agencies for follow-up action, which NBA will encourage and monitor. • Tame: The naming and shaming stages will lead to a gradual sanitation of the bench and the bar.
“NBA supports a review of the formal criteria for judicial appointments and promotion. Intellectual acumen and professional integrity must be the chief criteria for bench candidacy. The NBA must play a more critical role in the process, because as practitioners, we know ourselves and those on the bench best.
“Judicial appointments and promotion should attract talent from outside the formal bar and bench. If our civil-procedure and criminal-procedure regimes are weak, those vested in them may not always be the best people to lead or support reform. If our judicial arm is tainted with corruption, those steeped in its workings may not always be the best people to fight or resist corruption,” he said.
In her own address, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mariam Aloma Mukhtar, admitted that corruption is one major topic being freely discussed at every forum in Nigeria and sadly, the bench is not isolated.
According to her, “the truth however remains that, strengthening judicial integrity in Nigeria and discouraging corruption can be better achieved with strict compliance with the code of conduct for judicial officers in Nigeria, and the institutions constitutionally established to enforce accountability and discipline in the judiciary.”
“It is necessary to ensure that every officer entrusted with the sacred duty of dispensing justice does so with uprightness and the utmost sense of integrity. The present administration has shown its commitment to a viable judiciary and is willing to encourage judicial officers that are disposed to promoting a corrupt-free judiciary, at the same time ready to show the way out to those with a retrospective view in our reformation efforts.
“In addition to this is the need for the improvement of the funding of the judiciary. The recent depreciation in budgetary allocation for the judiciary portends great danger in the fight against corruption in the judiciary. Judicial officers must be comfortable to enable them discharge their dutirs wholly without anticipation for graft.”
TRIBUNE

Pension scam: Ex-pension director to remain in prison indefinitely

A former Director of Pension in  the office of the Head of Service, Sani Shuaibu Teidi, who is standing trial before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja will have to remain in Kuje prison indefinitely.
This is as result of an indefinite adjournment given by the presiding judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola.
When the matter came up on Monday, Justice Ademola  informed counsel in the matter of a petition written by Teidi to the Chief Judge  of the Federal High Court, alleging bias and lack of diligent prosecution.
Teidi had earlier been remanded in Kuje prison alongside Omoefe Uduesegbe on June 7.
The duo were arraigned alongside nine companies over alleged conspiracy and fraud charges to the tune of N6billion slammed on them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to the tune N6 billion.
The court had fixed Monday to rule on their bail application, but the court held that it would be in the interest of justice to await the CJ’s directive before taking any further step.
According to him, “in a situation like this, I have to adjourn to await the directive of the chief judge. It is better I thread on the path of caution.”
Teidi’s counsel, Sunday Ameh (SAN),who denied knowledge of the petition, told the court that he might withdraw from the case as his client had shown by writing the petition without his knowledge that he lacked confidence in him.
Counsel for Uduesegbe also told the court that his client had nothing to do with the petition even though Teidi had mentioned his name in it.
TRIBUNE

Police to phase out black uniform -FG approves N1.7 billion for purchase of new ones

Indication emerged yesterday that the Federal Government has given approval for the phasing out of the police black uniform.
The uniform had been in existence for over 30 years, until recently a new blue and camouflage uniform was introduced as service dresses for the force.
Informed police source, disclosed to the Nigerian Tribune, that the Presidency has already approved the sum of N1.7 billion for the bulk purchase of the uniform for Officers and rank and file.
It was gathered that one of the reason for the phasing out of the uniform is that it portrays hatredness and wickedness for the police as anything black is said to portend evil.
So many reasons adduced for the phasing out of the black uniform include not being environmentally friendly.
According to the source, the black uniform by its nature attracts the ultra violent rays, which causes serious skin burn on policemen, this is because Nigeria being close to the equator, makes the weather to be very hot and as the temperature is always hot, black does not repel heat but absorbs it.
Other reasons the source revealed to the Nigerian Tribune, include security reasons, as black connotes ubiquitous, like mourning and used for so many purposes, because of these, it is easily available to buy and therefore abused.
However, force spokesman, CSP Frank Mba who confirmed the phasing out of the black uniform said it will be done in phases, and gave part of the reason as reducing the chances of criminals counterfeiting it.
He said that as part of the security measures to check the abuse of the new uniform, all police uniforms coming in will have security features, and this will checkmate criminals faking it.
Mba added that International best practices worldwide shows that blue is regarded as police colour, hence the adoption of the practice.
He said that it will help in international branding in peace support operations, adding that new uniform will be cost effective and will come in superior quality and last longer.
TRIBUNE

Another 10 Ibadan foodstuff sellers killed in Borno

LESS than two months after four members of Ibadan Foodstuff Sellers Association were killed by gunmen in Borno State, 10 traders were allegedly killed by gunmen suspected to be members of Islamic sect on Friday.
This is just as the president of the association, Alhaji Musliudeen Olalekan Azeez, called on the Federal Government to save their members from incessant attacks.
Azeez, speaking with journalists at the Bodija Market, on Monday, said they learnt that their members, 10 of them, were among the over 60 people killed by people suspected to be members of the Islamic sect.
Eight of those allegedly killed were said to be traders at Bodija Market, while two others were from Orita-merin Market, also in Ibadan.
Azeez informed that the executive member of the association had ensured that some shops were under lock and key in Bodija Market, as they mourned the killing of their members.
Acording to him, majority of the victims were beans seller and they had gone to Borno State to purchase the food items before they were killed at Mugunu area of Borno State.
It will be recalled that four members of Bodija had been allegedly killed on May 5, 2013.
Confirming the report, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the market, Mr Akeem Emiola, said the sad news was relayed to them on Friday through a telephone conversation by one of their customers, adding that “since then, we have been making contact with the families of the deceased.”
He gave the names of those killed as Seye Adegboyega, Jelili Popoola, Ojo Mosobalaje, Fatai Kareem and Femi Oyetunde.
Others, according to him, are Ninalowo Saheed, Saburu Lanlehin, Lekan Oladokun, Sola Adeoye and Nurudeen Lawal.
He said two of the traders, Alhaji Ibrahim Ademola and Taoheed Azeez, narrowly escaped death.
Emiola disclosed that their corpses would be received tomorrow by the executive members at the Oyo end of the Ibadan/Ilorin Road.
TRIBUNE

Appointment of service chiefs illegal -Court

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday has declared the appointment of all service chiefs as illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.
The service chiefs are the heads of the three major security arms of the nation, namely, the  Chief of Air Staff, Chief of Army Staff and  Chief of Naval Staff.
The court also gave an order restraining President Goodluck Jonathan  from further appointing service chiefs without due approval from the Senate.
A Lagos-based lawyer and human right activist, Festus Keyamo had in 2008 approached the court seeking for an order to void the appointment of the said service chiefs.
Joined as defendants in the suit are President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Attorney-General of the Federation and all the Service Chiefs.
Keyamo had asked the court whether by the combined interpretation of the provisions of Section 218 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Section 18 of the Armed Forces Act, Cap. A.20, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, the 1st Defendant can appoint the Service Chiefs of the Federation without the confirmation of the National Assembly first sought and obtained.
He also asked whether by Section 18 (1) & (2) of the Armed Forces Act, Cap. A.20, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 is not in conformity with the provision of the 1999 Constitution so as to fall within the category of existing laws under Section 315 (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, that the President, may, by Order, modify its text, to bring it into conformity with the provisions of the Constitution.
When the matter came up on Monday, the presiding judge, Justice Adamu Bello held that the appointment of Service Chiefs for the Federal Republic of Nigeria by the President, without the confirmation of the National Assembly is illegal, unconstitutional and void.
 He also held that Section 18 (1) & (2) of the Armed Forces Act, Cap. A.20, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, is in conformity with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution so as not to fall within the category of existing laws under Section 315 (2) - of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, that the President, may, by order, modify its text, to bring it into conformity with the provisions of the Constitution.
Justice Bello however made an order restraining the president from further appointing service chiefs for the federation without first obtaining the confirmation of the National Assembly.
TRIBUNE