Saturday, January 4, 2014

Six-year-old boy accused of raping his cousin, aged five, while playing 'mummy and daddy game'

A Malaysian boy aged six has been accused of raping his five-year-old cousin in a case believed to be the one of the first of its kind in the world.
Doctors discovered she had been sexually penetrated after a medical check-up - and despite initial scepticism a consultant urologist at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital said it was possible for a child that young to have an erection.
The extraordinary case came to light after the children's grandmother found them naked and playing 'mothers and fathers' at the family home in the town of Pendang, Kedah - a rural area covered with paddy fields

The girl's 32 year old mother, a medical assistant, then lodged a report on New Year's Day, Malaysia's Star newspaper reported.
But the paper said that the following day the mother told police she was not keen to pursue the case and had only reported it so her daughter could be checked at a hospital.
The doctor who examined the girl and found a minor tear in the hymen alerted the Malacca Action Group for Parents in Education.
Chairman Mak Chee Hin said: 'It is shocking that young children are capable of such acts.

'Blame should be levelled at the adults who do not give guidance and care to the children.'
He added that a full medical report would determine whether the six year old boy is the youngest predator in the country.
The case comes just weeks after a boy of 11 allegedly raped a six-year-old girl at a babysitter’s home in Alor Gajah.
The consultant urologist, who asked not to be named, told The Star that that it was possible for a boy of that age to have an erection, although such occurrences were more common among Caucasian children.
Sexual development began from a child's first year, he said, pointing out that some baby boys were even born with erections.

 'It could be due to witnessing an adult performing an intimate act or watching pornographic videos'

Consultant Urologist at Kuala Lumpur Hospital
He added: 'In Western countries, medical reports suggest that young boys and girls can experience orgasm although boys will not be able to ejaculate until puberty.
'For Asian children, it is very rare, although there have been rare cases that are mostly attributed to surroundings and upbringing.'
This case, he added, could have happened due to exposure to pornographic materials.
'It could be due to witnessing an adult performing an intimate act or watching pornographic videos, said the urologist.
“Even if the child had an erection, it would have only lasted for a while and not to the extent of penetration.

DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

WAR AGAINST FRUADSTERS:



POLICE SMASH FAKE UNITED NATIONS RECRUITMENT SYNDICATE

In line with its sworn resolve to make the country safe and secure for the citizens of Nigeria, the Nigeria Police Force has smashed a fake recruitment syndicate known as Universal Response and Rescue Support Foundation (URRSF) purported to belong to the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (UN). This organization, which has an illegal training camp in Lagos with branches in Ekiti, Cross River and Imo States as well as Abuja, and claims to be in charge of recruitment for the UN, had exploited the gullibility of the Nigerian youths to hoodwink many able- bodied citizens into parting with their money. So far, an estimated sum of seven million naira (N7,000,000.00) has been extorted from their various victims. The website being used by the syndicate www.universalrescuecorps.com

Currently, three (3) members of the syndicate have been arrested namely: Lemmy Odogwu ‘m’ 35 yrs, Michael Abraham ‘m’ 45 yrs and Innocent Prosper ‘m’ 35yrs and will soon be arraigned in court on charges of criminal conspiracy, impersonation, cheating and forgery. Items recovered from the suspects include: 181 copies of unfilled recruitment forms with UN logo, 20 photograph copies of URRSF members in paramilitary uniforms, a booklet containing lists of recruitment and phone numbers of intending members of URRSF, one Toyota Sequenda Jeep with registration number BGT 151 AA and other incriminating items.  

Noting that the arrest of these scammers is an eloquent testimony to his Administration’s commitment to the fight against all forms of crimes and criminalities in our society, the Inspector-General of Police, IGP MD Abubakar CFR, NPM, mni, psc, pledged to re-double efforts at ensuring that positive gains at reducing crimes by the Police and other security agencies in 2013 are sustained and improved upon. He advised prospective job seekers to always seek confirmation from appropriate authorities on all job-related promos and adverts in order not to fall prey to scammers.

Meanwhile, the IGP has commended the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Interpol Unit, particularly the team of investigators involved in the case for their dedication and professionalism.  He also enjoins the citizens not to have anything to do with the organization (URRSF) since it is not part of the United Nations system and whatever recruitment it engages in on behalf of the UN, is a scam.

Friday, January 3, 2014

Family brawl: JS2 student shot dead by dad

ANGRY polygamous father, Chief Nicholas Anamene, has  allegedly shot and murdered his son, Ugochukwu Anamene, over polygamous family brawl.
Hundreds of people, last weekend, gathered at the compound of Chief Anamene, in Ezieke Umuolhi Okija, Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State, to witness the burial of the murdered Ugochukwu Anamene.
Ugochukwu, before he was allegedly shot by his father with a pump action gun, was a JS2 dropout but had started learning motorcycle spare parts trade.
His  polygamous father with 10 wives, who claimed that he shot him mistakenly, claimed  that on the particular day, “I mistakenly shot at my son around 8.30 p.m. and fainted when I discovered I shot him to death.”
Chief Nichola who spoke to journalists at the court premises in Ihiala, where he was immediately charged for murder, did not however, tell newsmen who exactly he had wanted to shoot before he mistakenly shot his son.
 The court was told that there was a quarrel between Chief Nichola and one of his wives Ngozi Anamene, who he had planned to kill at 8.30 p.m; but that on sighting somebody entering the compound, who had thought was his wife Ngozi, he opened fire on his son who slumped and died.
Chief Nicholas has been transferred to Onitsha Federal Prisons where he is being reminded while the case has been adjoined to 22nd January, 2014.
TRIBUNE

Rivers assembly Majority Leader, Lloyd, arrested for alleged murder


Mr. Chidi Lloyd
THE Rivers State Police Command said it had arrested the Leader of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Mr. Chidi Lloyd, for the alleged murder of his kinsman, Mr. Kingsley Ejeuo and a police sergeant, Urang Obediah.
A statement made available to The PUNCH on Thursday night indicated that Lloyd was purportedly arrested on his way to join the state Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, in his private jet in order to escape justice.
The statement sent via e-mail by the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ahmad Mohammad, specified that Lloyd knocked down Obediah while pursuing Ejeuo, identified to be his political opponent.
Lloyd, who was still standing trial for his involvement in the fracas that took place in the State House on July 9, 2013, was said to have rammed into Ejeuo’s Passat car with a bulletproof vehicle and killed him (Ejeo).
The police command pointed out that it had initially thought it was an auto accident until Lloyd relocated to another hospital, “conscious of what he did.”
“The Rivers State Police Command has arrested Hon. Chidi Llyod of the Rivers State House of Assembly for murder of police Sgt. Urang Obediah and Mr. Kingsley Ejeuo, his kinsman and arch political opponent.
“He was arrested on his way to join Governor Amaechi Rotimi in his private jet at the Airforce base to escape justice.
“Hon. Chidi Lloyd on December 30, 2013 while pursing his political opponent, knocked down Sgt. Urang Obediah, in spite of his effort to stop him, rammed and killed him and went ahead to crush the Passat car of Mr. Kingsley Ejeuo was driving and killed him.
“Initially the Police thought that it was a mere accident, which ought to have been a manslaughter. The Commissioner of Police directed ACP Aliyu Garba, the Area Commander Metro, to visit him in his hospital bed and commiserate with him, conscious of what he did, Chidi Lloyd relocated to another hospital.
“Facts emerged that Chidi Lloyd drove a bullet-proof vehicle while pursuing his political opponent, late Mr. Kingsley Ejeuo, and he (Lloyd) knocked down Sgt. Urang Obediah, who died on the spot and (Lloyd) moved ahead to smash a political opponent in his Passat car who equally died instantly,” the statement reads.
The statement added that late Ejeuo, who hailed from the same place with Lloyd was believed to be in the PDP camp led by Elder Felix Obuah.
The statement also indicated that the Leader of the House allegedly escaped from the hospital where he was being guarded by four policemen.
However, a top government official told our correspondent that the claim by the police that Lloyd tried to join Amaechi in his (Amaechi) private jet in order to escape justice was a blatant lie.
It will be recalled that Lloyd, who presented himself to the Nigeria Police after a video clip showed him hitting a member of the House of Assembly, Mr. Michael Chinda, with a mace on the head, was charged to court on a six-count charge, including attempted murder.
Lloyd was later granted bail in order to receive medical attention after sustaining injury during the July 9, 2013 free-for-all in the chambers of the State House of Assembly.
PUNCH

Snipers allegation: NHRC to decide on Jonathan, OBJ’s probe Jan 7 •SSS DG to testify in public over Apo killing


ADVERTISEMENT
THE National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is holding a public hearing on the controversial killing of suspected Boko Haram members in Apo, Abuja, on Tuesday January 7 and likely to announce modalities for conducting its planned probe into the allegation by former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, against President Goodluck Jonathan same day.
Obasanjo, in a letter, had accused President Jonathan of training snippers to haunt about 1,000 Nigerians the presidency allegedly put on a watch list.
The council of the commission, headed by Professor Chidi Odinkalu, is the judicial arm of the commission which serves as a quasi-tribunal during public hearings.
It was learnt that the administrative arm, headed by the Executive Secretary, Professor Bem Angwe, had not chosen any of the two options open to the commission in conducting the probe.
The commission can summon parties mentioned in the matter for face-to-face interrogation or meet them separately.
It can also visit them individually for their testimonies, provided such would not jeopardise the independence of the investigation and the credibility of the process.
It was learnt top-shots of the commission were more disposed to separate visits to the two leaders involved in the investigation, due to their social standing and political status.
The sensitivity of the allegation, it was gathered, made the said option more attractive to those who would make the final decision on whether to summon the duo for an open deliberation.
Those concerned about the credibility of the commission were said to be rooting for open invite for the two leaders, given the publicity that the issues had generated.
A presidency source revealed that Jonathan might be more disposed to the investigation and testimony being conducted in the open, due to the weight of the allegation and the status of the person alleging the president.
It was learnt that consultations were on, to arrive at a conclusion before the public hearing next Tuesday.
By the amendment of the NHRC Act 2010, the commission can issue bench warrants on those who fail to honour its summons.
Its pronouncements also now have the same effect as judgments of the High Court.
The planned public hearing, which is the third in the series on the Apo killing, according to a system source, would also see the Director General of the State Security Service (SSS), Ekpeyong Ita, testify openly.
At the last public hearing, he requested to testify in camera, which was rejected by the council.
It was learnt that the council chairman had succeeded in persuading Ita to have his testimony in public like that of the Chief of Army Staff.
Ita’s testimony is expected to take the centre stage of proceedings at the public hearing, while the announcement on the Obasanjo, Jonathan probe is expected to come before the commencement of the proceedings or immediately after it.

Human Rights Watch faults criticism of report on Apo
Meanwhile, the Human Rights Watch (HRW) has insisted that its report on the cause of violence in Plateau and Kaduna states were based on facts.
The organisation, in its reply to comments credited to Odinkalu, who had picked holes in the report, on Thursday, faulted the report for describing the major cause of the violence as being sectarian in nature.
The HRW’s report catalogued incidents in Kaduna and Plateau states since 2010, in which over 3,000 people died.
Through its African Director, Mr Daniel Bekele, in a letter to the Editor, HRW said it was untrue that its report explained the violence in the two states solely in sectarian terms.
The letter read in part: “Human Right Watch agrees with Dr Chidi Odinkalu that the conflicts in Kaduna and Plateau states cannot be explained merely in sectarian terms (Odinkalku faults HRW’s report on violence in Nigeria, 23 December 2013).
“Our report clearly states that the underlying causes of the conflict are varied and often entail longstanding grievances and disputes, including divisive state and local government policies that discriminate based on indigene status.
“Dr Odinkalu’s accusation that Human Rights Watch proceeded with a fixed viewpoint is simply not true. The findings upon which our report is based are borne out of facts and events documented by our researchers on the ground.”
TRIBUNE

Oil theft reduced to 40,000 barrels per day —Uduaghan


ADVERTISEMENT
Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State, said on Wednesday, in Abuja, that the volume of oil theft in the Niger Delta had reduced from 100,000 barrels to 40,00 barrels per day.
Uduaghan disclosed this while fielding questions from State House correspondents, after a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan, at the Presidential Villa.
The governor said that although the quantity of the stolen crude was still on the high side, with proactive measures by government, the menace would be checked.
Specifically, he said that if the culprits of oil theft were prosecuted and sanctioned accordingly and the right technology deployed for monitoring, the crime would drastically reduce.
 “The volume of theft is reducing.
“As at yesterday I still heard somebody quoting 1,400,000 barrels of oil being stolen, that is not true.
“At the time it was at its peak, there was a shutdown of about 300 barrels of oil as a result of damage to two major pipelines.
“At that time, between 80,000 to 100,000 barrels were being stolen and that was the time we took some measures to ensure that the quantity that is being stolen is reduced.
“As at today, I can tell you that the quantity that is being stolen has reduced to about 40,000 barrels per day.
“Those pipelines that were shut down are now functioning, so the 300 to 320 that were shut down as a result of damage to the pipelines have now been opened.
“The stolen 40,000 barrels per day is still on the high side, but as we go further in putting measures in place, especially, the issue of prosecution, the quantity will gradually reduce and if possible we can get it to a zero level.
“Apart from the prosecution we are also looking at technology in monitoring to be able to deal with oil theft,” he said.
Uduaghan also disclosed that the meeting with the President was to avert the planned warning strike by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).
He said the President summoned the meeting to find a lasting solution to industrial strikes in the medical sector.
Uduaghan said that the President had conceded to certain conditions that would likely stop the proposed warning strike.
“There were issues that have been raised by the NMA for which members are threatening to go on warning strike that will last for five days.
 “The President called a stakeholders’ meeting this afternoon to look at the issues again.
“We are now going for another meeting now slated for 5.00 pm.
“At least, there are certain things that the President has consented to and I believe that by the time we finished the meeting this evening, there will be some resolutions,” he said.
TRIBUNE

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Okada restrictions: fake soldiers, police take to arresting Okada operators



The Lagos State Police Command has arrested men who specialized in wearing fake police and army uniforms, to arrest commercial bike riders, otherwise known as Okada riders.
It was gathered that once these fake policemen and soldiers arrest the Okada riders, they either extort them heavily or they impound their motorbikes, to sell them later.
One of the suspects recently arrested for posing as a soldier to impound Okada, is one Abdulrazaq Busari.
He was said to have dressed as a soldier and was accompanied by a second suspect, Suleiman Jinadu, pretending to enforce the ban on Okada.
They were accosted by policemen attached to the Apapa Police Division and the Rapid Response Squad.
It was further gathered that a team of policemen from Apapa, were on operation to arrest commercial bike riders, flouting the restriction of motorbikes, when they suddenly noticed two men in army camouflage, trying to forcefully a motorbike from its rider.
The suspects were said to have given the game away after they took to their heels at sighting the police team. Sensing foul play, the police gave a hot chase and nabbed the two men.
The suspects both confessed to being civilians. They told police that they wanted to threaten the rider and collect money from him or his motorcycle.
The suspects further revealed that they were contracted by one Sanni to be doing the illegal work.
Buhari said they bought the uniform from the Sanni who claimed he got the uniform from a soldier.
Buhari said Sanni sold the uniform to him at the cost of N1, 500.
A man, identified as Abdulhadi by police investigation, promised to buy the motorcycles from the suspects whenever they were able to get any.
Abdulhadi promised to pay N50, 000 for each motorcycle the duo delivered.