Friday, April 4, 2014

Intending couple, pregnant women, die in Lagos boat accident

An intending couple, two pregnant women and a young girl were among the eight passengers who lost their lives in a Lagos fresh boat accident. The intending couple’s wedding, according investigation, had already scheduled their wedding for this weekend. The body of the bride-to-be had been identified in the morgue while the groom-to-be is still missing.
Twenty-eight passengers were said to be on board the boat belonging to Bell Marine which capsized about 6pm on Wednesday at the Third Mainland Bridge – Oworonsoki axis on its way to Majidun area of Ikorodu.

Sanusi’s arrest, passport seizure illegal - Court •Awards him 50million naira damage

A Federal High Court in Lagos, on Thursday, issued a restraining order against the police, State Security Service (SSS) or their privies, from arresting the suspended CBN Governor, Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
ADVERTISEMENT
Justice Ibrahim Buba gave the order while delivering judgment in a suit filed by Sanusi, seeking an order restraining the police, and the SSS, from infringing on his fundamental rights.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that Sanusi had filed the suit through his counsel, Professor Yemi Osibanjo, seeking an order restraining the police and SSS from arresting, detaining or otherwise harassing him.

GOCs LEAD BATTLE AGAINST FULANI INSURGENTS •30 killed in Nasarawa


GENERAL Officers Commanding (GOCs) in Benue, Plateau, Nasarawa, Kaduna and Niger states have started direct supervision of operations in their areas of responsibility states, as troops comb forests in their mission to apprehend members of armed gangs and destroy their enclaves.
ADVERTISEMENT
According to a press release signed by the Director, Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, the formation commanders of the Nigerian Army had moved to the various states in their area of responsibilities to conduct the operations aimed at addressing deteriorating security situation in parts of the North-Central.
The troops deployed in Benue State had already cleared camps of all armed gangs in three local governments of the state, while normalcy had been restored in Guma, Gwer West and Agatu local government areas.

Sani Lulu, Others Breached Due Process in Purchase of Luxury Buses – Witness Tells Court


The trial of Sani Lulu Abdullahi, former chairman and three other Board members of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF continued today, April 3, 2014 before Justice E.S Chukwu of the Federal High Court, Abuja.
Abdulllahi is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC alongside Amanze Uchegbulam, Bolaji Ojo-Oba and Taiwo Ogunjobi for offences bordering on conspiracy and breach of due process which is in contravention of the Public Procurement Act.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Six missing, 22 rescued from Lagos boat disaster

At least six passengers on board a boat were feared dead after it capsized in a lagoon in the Majidun area off Ikorodu in Lagos State on Wednesday evening.
However, 22 others, who also fell of the boat were rescued by local divers.
The development occurred barely two weeks after 13 people died at the 4th Avenue, 42 Road, Festac Town, Festac, Lagos State.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Teenager was still alive as boyfriend started to cut off her head with a knife before stabbing himself in the chest, court hears


Victim: Reema Ramzan was killed by her boyfriend Aras Hussein in June last year, a court heard

Victim: Reema Ramzan was killed by her boyfriend Aras Hussein in June last year, a court heard
A man decapitated his teenage girlfriend while she was still alive then stabbed himself in the chest, a court heard today.  
Aras Hussein, 21, had allegedly blackmailed 18-year-old Reema Ramzan by taking sexual photographs of her and threatening to share them with her family if she broke up with him.  
Sheffield Crown Court was told that on June 4 last year, he killed her by cutting off her head with a knife before inflicting stab wounds on himself.  

Spend, spend, spend! Blonde went on spree after council put £52,000 in her account by accident


Vain: Michaela Hutchings spent £52,000 Litchfield Council put in her account by mistake, instead of reporting the error

Vain: Michaela Hutchings spent £52,000 Litchfield Council put in her account by mistake, instead of reporting the error

A young woman went on a marathon shopping spree hours after a bungling council accidentally credited her bank account with £52,000, a court heard yesterday.
Michaela Hutchings, 23, spent £9,000 on expensive designer clothes, sunglasses and other items after finding the money in her account.
Instead of reporting the error, she also gave her mother Elaine £1,000 in cash, before she  was caught by police on April 24 last year.
After she was caught, officers discovered she had transferred £40,000 into an investment account after taking advice from her bank, which was unaware of the mistake.
The mother of one was found guilty of dishonesty and retaining a wrongly credited bank transfer when she appeared  at Stafford Crown Court on Monday. Recorder Derek Desmond told her: ‘A little over £52,000 was put into your account in error.
‘That had nothing to do with you. You didn’t cause that error, but you decided to keep it.’