Sunday, September 28, 2014

Outrage as police fraudster is freed: Police woman described as 'disgrace to her uniform' released from prison after serving just four months of two and a half year sentence


Former Chief Inspector for Surrey Police Tanya Brookes
Former Chief Inspector for Surrey Police Tanya Brookes
 
A shamed senior policewoman described as ‘a disgrace to her uniform’ by a judge has been freed from prison just four months into a two-and-a-half-year jail sentence for fraud.
Former Chief Inspector Tanya Brookes, 46, who was convicted of dishonestly making £11,000, is now back home with her husband and children.
Her early release was described as ‘outrageous’ last night after The Mail on Sunday discovered Brookes, who served with Surrey Police, had been allowed out with a tag on ‘home detention curfew’ following a successful appeal to reduce her sentence to 18 months. Even taking that into account, she has served less than a quarter of her time in jail – and will even keep her generous pension.
The mother of four, who was convicted of 33 charges, cheated shops by forging vouchers or claiming refunds for goods such as micro-scooters and blankets that she had bought at a discount online. 

Friday, September 26, 2014

Tension in Ekiti, Fayemi declares curfew


Ekiti Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, has declared a dusk till dawn curfew in the state.
In a live broadcast in Ado-Ekiti on Friday, Fayemi said “there would be no movement between the hours of 7.00pm and 7.00am everyday till further notice.
“We urge the citizenry to be vigilant and provide the security agencies with details of suspicious activities that can undermine the peace in our state.”

The declaration followed widespread violence across the state capital on Friday aftermath the killing of a former Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Omolafe Aderiye, by unknown gunmen on Thursday night.
The office of Kayode Fayemi Campaign Organisation and three vehicles in the state secretariat of the All Progressives Congress were burnt in the early hours of Friday.
On Monday, political thugs invaded the Ekti State High Court presided over by Justice Olusegun Ogunyemi to disrupt proceedings in a case challenging the eligibility of the Governor-elect, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, to contest the June 21 election won by him.

S’African victims’ relations set to sue TB Joshua


South African President, Mr Jacob Zuma

Two South Africans who lost relatives when a church hostel in Lagos collapsed have told the BBC they intend to sue the General Overseer of Synagogue Church of All Nations, Pastor Temitope Joshua.
The BBC reported that the two men, who both lost sisters in the collapse, were appealing for more families to come together in bringing a case against the preacher.
At least 115 people, including 84 South Africans, died when the multi-storey building fell down on September 12.
The authorities said it had more floors than its foundation could hold.
On Sunday, Joshua announced plans to travel to South Africa to visit the families of the deceased.
Officials suspect the foundations were not suitable for extra floors to be added to the building

Pro-Fayose thugs beat Ekiti judge, tear his robe


Riot policemen in front of the Ekiti High Court, Ado-Ekiti... on Thursday

For the second time in four days, people suspected to be political thugs on Thursday disrupted proceedings at the Ekiti State High Court in Ado-Ekiti on Thursday.
A sitting   judge,   Justice John Adeyeye, was   beaten up   and his suit torn by the thugs.
The record book of the Chief Judge, Justice Ayodeji Daramola, was also torn into pieces by the thugs who also   disrupted proceedings at the state Election Petitions Tribunal.
The tribunal sits on the high court premises in Ado-Ekiti.
The tension in the court forced   Daramola to order the immediate closure of all the state high courts.
It was gathered that Adeyeye, who was presiding over a case that had nothing to do with the last Ekiti governorship election, courted trouble when he called on the Governor-elect, Ayo Fayose, to caution the people following him to the tribunal.

Girl freed by Boko Haram pregnant -Bitrus


Abducted Chibok girls

The abducted “Chibok girl” released on Wednesday is “pregnant and mentally ill,” the National Chairman of Chibok Community Development Association, Dr. Pogu Bitrus, has told TheCable.
Earlier on Thursday, the police revealed that the 20-year-old girl was abandoned by suspected terrorists at Mubi in Adamawa State, from where she was picked up. It also confirmed that she was one of the female pupils of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, abducted in April by Boko Haram.
However, Bitrus said it was still uncertain if the girl was from Chibok because her name did not correspond with any of the names in the records of the girls that were captured by Boko Haram on April 14.

N503m Scam: EFCC to Appeal Ikuforiji’s Acquittal

The Economic and Financial  Crimes Commission, EFCC, has said it will appeal against the ruling of Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court, Lagos, which today set free the Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeniyi Ikuforiji and his aide, Oyebode Atoyebi.
Both had been standing trial on a 54-count charge of money laundering to the tune of N503million.

EFCC Arraign Two for $91,000 Internet Fraud



The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Friday, September 26, 2014 arraigned Dandeson Ebosele Ibhonitie, 26, (a.k.a Dandy James, Connor Mead and Barrister Louis Harpoch and Ohiwerei Charity, 31,  before Justice E. F. Ikponmwen of Edo State High Court, Benin-City on a 3- count charge bordering on conspiracy and obtaining money by false pretence.
Ibhonitie and Charity allegedly belong to the group of fraudsters using the internet to defraud unsuspecting victims.