Friday, December 6, 2013

Amaechi’s enemies are not my enemies - Rivers CP

The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mbu, on Thursday, said in Abuja  that the enemies of the Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi are not his enemies, based on the fact that he is a police officer whose duty is to protect everybody.

Mbu, who was on invitation to the office of the National Human Rights Commission, to state his own side on the petition written to the commission by Amaechi, said all the allegations against him were not true.

It will be recalled that Amaechi had also visited the commission to state his own side of the issue.

Speaking with journalists after meeting with the Executive Secretary of the commission, the police boss said that he is not a politician, saying “all the allegations against me are not true, I speak with the governor everyday, if you check my phone, you will see that I called him four times yesterday, we are in working agreement.

“The problem is that the enemies of the governor are not my enemies because I am a police officer, my job is to protect everybody. I am not at loggerheads with the governor, except that I am a professional officer and I know my job and I do what is right.”

Commenting on the allegation that he takes instruction from the first lady, Mbu stated: “How can I take instruction from the first lady, I take instruction from the IG who is my boss. I don’t even have access to the President and I don’t want to.”

Answering questions on the withdrawal of some Amaechi’s aides, Mbu said “there was a circular that was passed stating the number of police that should be with a public officer, and if anybody has more than that, I should withdraw it.

Earlier, the Executive Secretary of the commission, Professor Bem Angwe had stated that invitation of the Commissioner was an indictment but an opportunity for fair hearing.

He added that the commission will be fair, impartial and not submit to pressure from any quarters in carrying out its duties.

It will be recalled that Amaechi had  petitioned the commission  over alleged deteriorating human rights situation in the state.

Amaechi, in the petition urged the commission to urgently address what he described as the grave and deteriorating human rights situation in the state.

The governor said the human rights clampdown had also affected him and thousands of people in the state.

He also urged the commission to address the brazen erosion of the fundamentals, which makes the guarantee, protection and promotion of human rights through the rule of law and good governance in the state, impossible.
TRIBUNE

No comments: