Saturday, January 11, 2014

Soldier reveals why there is robbery in Nigeria



Juliana Francis
A few days after the Armed Forces Remembrance Day, a 67-year-old retired soldier has gone on a one day protest.  Lambasting the army and government, saying they were leaving ringworm, to treat craw-craw in security issues in Nigeria.
Mr.  Ologbenla Adegoke, who said he was conscripted into the army in 1967, said that as long as government continues to celebrate fallen heroes, than the soldiers who were still alive and had received their entitlement or any sort of payment in recognition of their valour and sacrifice for the mother land, crimes, especially armed robberies will not stop!
Adegoke had actually attempted to go to some police stations to tell them his theory on why crime continued to snowball and the panacea for it, but he had booed and shunned. Nobody appeared ready to take him serious.
His words: “There are a lot of retired soldiers like me that started the war and end it, that are still alive and living in Nigeria today, yet government does not care to pay us pension. Some of these retired soldiers, stored weapons in their homes after the war. And they are using it now to perpetrate crimes. Some even rent it out to robbers.
“Every year, government spends millions of naira in remembrance of death soldiers, forgetting those of us still alive! In war, thousands of soldiers could die in a day; that is the nature of the work of a soldier. It’s no big deal, may God let them rest in peace. We fought in the civil war and we should be compensated! Everyday, I regret not to have died in the war when I look at the way I’m suffering now.”
Adegoke is simply fighting for his pension, which he felt he was entitled to, to be paid. According to him, Odumegwu Ojukwu was paid billions of naira, yet people like him and other soldiers were exempted from the payment. He said he could not understand the basis for the double standard employed by the government. He queried: “Why Ojukwu and 65 others be paid and we not paid?  We all fought in the war and many of my comrades died at the war front. Many of us didn’t have numbers, but we reached immunity. Many soldiers died without having any number. It was during the war. It was a time of emergency and everywhere was hot!
“On that November 2007, we saw only Ojukwu. They paid him over, 2 billion, which were for 40 years arrears. I was happy and rushed to my bank, but I didn’t receive any money. Up till this date, they have not attended to some of the soldiers that served 10 years and above. And yet we are the people that know what is called war! Soldiers like us don’t fear police attack.
“Everyday I hear there are criminals, criminals everywhere and I just laugh. You’re talking about criminals and forget about those who fought war and stayed in army for more than 10 years and above. 
“These are men who really know what is called a rifle. This is not about going to War College. Battle field is a different ball game entirely.
“I recollect the story of our colleague who hired out rifle to highway robbers. It is only Alabi (colleague), that the government knows, what about others? I’m sure they’ll do the same thing. After all, many of these retired soldiers have rifles at home.  Government should try to pay us 10 years and above. They should pay our money!”
Apparently worried by the system, Adegoke went to the former speaker, Ibrahim Mantu, explaining his problem. The man gave him a letter to meet with Group Captain Kachiro, who was then Pension Board Minister.
Adegoke said: “Kachiro made arrangement for verification and documentation exercise on November 29, 2007 for those of us that spent 10 years and above in the army. He gave us assurance that our pension would be paid into our different bank accounts. But till date, we had not been paid, but Ojukwu had been paid.  In the course of fighting for my pension to be paid, I travelled to Abuja for another verification exercise and on my way back, I had an accident! I was the only passenger that survived out of the 18 passengers. I now need about N450, 000 to operate my broken arm. I don’t wish to become involved in bad gang, so let government please pay me my pension! It is my entitlement.”
 When war ended in 1970, many soldiers were demoted. They said the ranks they had before were ‘bush ranks.’ Many of these soldiers left in anger. Adegoke left as a full corple. He however insisted that he and many others served 10 years and thus deserved to be paid. He said he used his youth to serve Nigeria, and deserved better than the treatment being meted out to him.
“I was about 24 when I joined army. I gave my life for the army! There is no way now to meet up again. I didn’t go to school, I didn’t learn any trade or artisan work, I just used my youth to serve Nigeria. Having children without educating them, does that mean you have children? I don’t have money to train my children. I was commandeered, forced to join the army. Even soldiers that died just three months after joining army and fighting in the war deserved to be compensated. I retired as a full corple. I was WO2 in the time of war. There was a time I killed about five soldiers who stole our vehicles. We were asked what to do with them; they said we should kill them and dig holes to bury them. I killed them and major Oluyomade nicknamed me that day, bulldog discipline military police.
“When I left the army, I tried to work. I assist people to sell whatever they have to sell and collected commission. That was how I knew the Deputy Senate President and former IGP, Iyang. I used to help them sell their Goods. They bring the goods from overseas and I assisted in selling them off. Goods like sugar, rice and other items. Right now, I have nothing doing. I even beg to eat.”

No comments: